Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > IP Address tracking?

IP Address tracking?

Donnie

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:38:50 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >nbtstat -A IP_address to that list even though it's a ot harder to get

the
> >NetBIOS table these days. There were times when I tracked people right to
> >their door with that and other searches.

> Problem is the use of proxy servers, of which there seem
> to be a huge number which the bastard still trying to spam my
> message board with 100 mesages a day uses.
>
> I suspect its a robot as nobody could be so stupid and
> persistent.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

##################################
That's true about proxy servers and opened relays. I have alerted admins to
that and they have closed the holes. I also have gotten accounts closed.
The problem is that it took about 3 hours of tracing headers, running whois
and a bunch of other commands on a Unix box to close 2 or 3 holes. By that
time you just say "__________" (fill in the blank).
Donnie

Jim Watt

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:51:10 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:38:50 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >nbtstat -A IP_address to that list even though it's a ot harder to get

>the
>> >NetBIOS table these days. There were times when I tracked people right to
>> >their door with that and other searches.

>> Problem is the use of proxy servers, of which there seem
>> to be a huge number which the bastard still trying to spam my
>> message board with 100 mesages a day uses.
>>
>> I suspect its a robot as nobody could be so stupid and
>> persistent.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

>##################################
>That's true about proxy servers and opened relays. I have alerted admins to
>that and they have closed the holes. I also have gotten accounts closed.
>The problem is that it took about 3 hours of tracing headers, running whois
>and a bunch of other commands on a Unix box to close 2 or 3 holes. By that
>time you just say "__________" (fill in the blank).

The rejection log is a handy resource if I ever need a good proxy
server ...

Most of them seem to be CISCO webcache boxes and they
have changed the default admin password

As the website has adequate connectivity I can just watch
the person bashing away against a brick wall as my scripts
seem to deal with his scripts.

I've got some ideas to implement when time permits, or the tactics
change. In the meantime its amazing how stupid some people can
be to continue a lost cause.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com