Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Anti-virus that's light on resources

Anti-virus that's light on resources

DA

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
networking issues galore.

So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

Cheers!
DA

-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
alt.computer.security - 2450 messages and counting!

Notan

DA wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
> couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
> access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
> anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
> signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
> the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
> had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
> the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
> than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
> did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
> worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
> PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
> networking issues galore.
>
> So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
> software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

While I'm sure other posters have their favorites, I've been using
NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com).

Very good, and *very* low on resources.

Notan

David H. Lipman

From: "DA" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hello everyone!
|
| I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
| couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
| access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
| anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
| signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
| the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
| had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
| the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
| than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
| did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
| worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
| PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
| networking issues galore.
|
| So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
| software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?
|
| Cheers!
| DA

Please read the thread; "Looking for small footprint AV"

Posted in; alt.comp.anti-virus

Posted on; Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:15 PM

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

speeder

On 9 Sep 2005 16:27:34 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (DA)
wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
>couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
>access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
>anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
>signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
>the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
>had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
>the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
>than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
>did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
>worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
>PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
>networking issues galore.
>
>So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
>software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

There are others of course, but from personal experience I use AVG on
a P1 166MHz/98MB RAM comp and it works!

DA

David H. Lipman wrote:

> Please read the thread; "Looking for small footprint AV"
> Posted in; alt.comp.anti-virus
> Posted on; Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:15 PM

Thank you for the hint, David
I did find that thread here

http://www.secure-gear.com/Looking-f...icle3806-6.htm

My thing is: I'm not entirely sure if I need an on-the-fly anti-virus or
not. The PC is going to face a fair amount of Internet usage and, although
I don't download executable files too often myself, I'm concerned about
any malicious code that a Web page might bring along. I guess, that would
mean I need an on-the-fly anti-virus.

Also, I'm not necessarily looking for a free solution (although free is
always nice), but the "small footprint AVs" tend to be from the free side
of the fence - hence lack of some (important?) features.

So, I'm still wondering: is there a full-featured "light on resources" AV
out there that someone can recommend?

Thanks!

DA

Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
alt.computer.security - 2467 messages and counting!

Ronald MacDonald

"speeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 9 Sep 2005 16:27:34 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (DA)
> wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone!
>>
>>I'm looking for recommendations on anti-virus software that I could use on
>>couple of older PIII XP Home PCs I have. Everything else I need (Internet
>>access and light word processing mostly) runs fast enough on these but
>>anti-virus and anti-spam alike. It seems that with the amount of virus
>>signatures all commercial packages are targeting, anti-viruses have become
>>the most resource-hungry application on one's PC. I personally have not
>>had a trouble-free anti-virus before (is there such thing?) Tried McAfee -
>>the PIII/512Mb RAM PC is slugging so much that I cannot open IE in less
>>than two minutes (no exaggeration here). The anti-spam component of McAfee
>>did a great job of hiding important messages from me for weeks (probably
>>worth its own thread) etc. Tried Panda - at least one or two times a day
>>PC hangs up ruining unsaved work. Tried Norton AV - all kinds of
>>networking issues galore.
>>
>>So, am I looking for something that does not exist - current anti-virus
>>software that does not completely bring a PIII/512Mb RAM PC down?

> There are others of course, but from personal experience I use AVG on
> a P1 166MHz/98MB RAM comp and it works!

I have used Norton and AVG, but have finally decided to settle with
Avast..... good all round protection, and it's extremely low on resources.

Notan

DA wrote:

> <snip
>
> So, I'm still wondering: is there a full-featured "light on resources" AV
> out there that someone can recommend?

With all due respect, are you not paying attention?

*Numerous* "full-featured 'light on resources' AV" programs
have been presented to you.

Notan

DA

Notan wrote:

> While I'm sure other posters have their favorites, I've been using
> NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com).

> Very good, and *very* low on resources.

Thank you, Notan. I'm going to give NOD32 a try. From what I've read in
this forum and alt.comp.anti-virus it seems to be (one of) the most suited
for resource-challenged PC.
Thanks again,
DA

Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
alt.computer.security - 2507 messages and counting!