Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Firewall / AV choice?

Firewall / AV choice?

John Hyde

I have a new (to me) laptop running win XP Home. On other machines I
have used zonealarm freeware firewall and norton utilities for AV. I
know there are concerns with norton being bloatware. Since I have to
purchase a license for something for AV, are there opinions about
zonealarm's AV abilities? Other suggeations?

(I expect there has been some discussion of this on the list, but I have
not been monitering this list for about a year. thanks for your indungence)

Thanks

John

Notan

John Hyde wrote:

> I have a new (to me) laptop running win XP Home. On other machines I
> have used zonealarm freeware firewall and norton utilities for AV. I
> know there are concerns with norton being bloatware. Since I have to
> purchase a license for something for AV, are there opinions about
> zonealarm's AV abilities? Other suggeations?
>
> (I expect there has been some discussion of this on the list, but I have
> not been monitering this list for about a year. thanks for your indungence)

While it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of some other firewalls,
ZoneAlarm (freeware) is certainly a decent product.

Here's a partial list of free AV programs, posted in another newgroup,
earlier this morning:

AVAST -

AntiVir -
http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE

AVG -
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE

CA eTrust -
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.

If you don't mind paying, there's a plethora (Love that word!) of
firewalls and AV programs, out there.

Notan

David H. Lipman

From: "Notan" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| While it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of some other firewalls,
| ZoneAlarm (freeware) is certainly a decent product.
|
| Here's a partial list of free AV programs, posted in another newgroup,
| earlier this morning:
|
| AVAST -
|
| AntiVir -
| http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
|
| AVG -
| http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
|
| CA eTrust -
| http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
|
| If you don't mind paying, there's a plethora (Love that word!) of
| firewalls and AV programs, out there.
|
| Notan

Gee I wonder who ?

The CA eTrust AV software can also be obtained with ZoneAlarm bundles.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Notan

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Notan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | While it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of some other firewalls,
> | ZoneAlarm (freeware) is certainly a decent product.
> |
> | Here's a partial list of free AV programs, posted in another newgroup,
> | earlier this morning:
> |
> | AVAST -
> |
> | AntiVir -
> | http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
> |
> | AVG -
> | http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
> |
> | CA eTrust -
> | http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
> |
> | If you don't mind paying, there's a plethora (Love that word!) of
> | firewalls and AV programs, out there.
> |
> | Notan
>
> Gee I wonder who ?

I must give credit, where credit is due...

It was Dave's post... I just copied and pasted!

Notan

Zilbandy

John Hyde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a new (to me) laptop running win XP Home. On other machines I
>have used zonealarm freeware firewall and norton utilities for AV. I
>know there are concerns with norton being bloatware. Since I have to
>purchase a license for something for AV, are there opinions about
>zonealarm's AV abilities? Other suggeations?

I'm happy with ZoneAlarm's free version and AVG antivirus. I recently
switched from Norton AV to the free AVG.

John Hyde

John Hyde wrote:
> I have a new (to me) laptop running win XP Home. On other machines I
> have used zonealarm freeware firewall and norton utilities for AV. I
> know there are concerns with norton being bloatware. Since I have to
> purchase a license for something for AV, are there opinions about
> zonealarm's AV abilities? Other suggeations?
>
> (I expect there has been some discussion of this on the list, but I have
> not been monitering this list for about a year. thanks for your
> indungence)
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead and purchased KAspersky and it
seems to work fine. I'm a bit miffed at Zonealarm for being difficult
with KAV, but that's another thread.

Thanks again,

JH