Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > File slack space question

File slack space question

jake

Hi,

If I copy a file whose slack space may contain old data, and I copy
this file to a new hard drive, is the old data in the slack space
copied as well?

Thanks for any replies.

Jake

Jim Byrd

Hi Jake - Get BCWipe, last free version here:
http://www.earlyretiremint.com/software/bcwipe.exe and use it to clean the
slack space before copying if necessary. (Newest paid version (3 IIRC)
here: http://www.jetico.com/)

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"jake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi,
>
> If I copy a file whose slack space may contain old data, and I copy
> this file to a new hard drive, is the old data in the slack space
> copied as well?
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> Jake

rich.arawn@gmail.com

Jake,

The contents of the slack space will not be copied to the new hard
drive along with your file(s).

Rich

jake

Question on "slack" debayan_p VHDL 1 11-13-2009 11:07 AM
Looking for Free Slack Space Wiping Util Zilbandy Computer Security 8 06-12-2005 04:09 AM