Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Got Burned one too many times

Got Burned one too many times

SamuelF566@gmail.com

After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

Jim Watt

On 3 Sep 2005 23:45:30 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
>Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
>daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
>Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

Although that sounds good stuff, you should consider why you were
getting problems in the first place. My experience is that it is
users who run any old rubbish found on the Internet who have
problems and prevention is better than cure.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

hatschi

(E-Mail Removed) schrieb:
> After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
> Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
> daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
> Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

It's useless, unless you don't update your AV software and
_most__important_ your operating system, winxp I guess.

Management

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
> Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
> daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
> Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

I'm fascinated by this, very curious as to how you managed to get
"various Viruses". We have three machines on a home network, all
have AVG which updates daily, each machine has ZoneAlarm to control
what gets out and the router/modem firewall ensures that our network
is "stealthed". We run AdAware & SpyBot every week or so. Each
machine uses Hosts to block various nasties. The three machines are
XP Pro, XP Home & Windows 98. We all use FireFox & Thunderbird.

What we don't do:

Use Internet Explorer or ActiveX (except for Windows Update) or
Outlook Express.
We do not accept or use HTML in email and we NEVER open unsolicited
attachments.
We don't download files until we are sure that the sites are genuine
and AVG checks them before installing.

Obviously there has been a learning curve, I have learned a lot over
the years (especially from the newsgroups at grc.com).

Anyway, it looks like you're on the right tracks now

Charlie.

--
Broadcasting to the environs
www.radiowymsey.org

David Norris

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
> Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
> daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
> Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

My own advice would be don't bother, use Linux instead of Windows. Virtually
all viruses, spyware and exploits target Windows so save yourself the never
ending grief!

Chuck

On 3 Sep 2005 23:45:30 -0700, *email_address_deleted* wrote:

>After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
>Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
>daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
>Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

That's a good start. One of the most essential, and most overlooked, components
in a good Layered Security strategy, though, is the CKI.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/please-protect-yourself-layer-your.html>

A problematic CKI (Chair To Keyboard Interface) will invalidate any software
solutions in Layered Security.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Imhotep

David Norris wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
>> Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
>> daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
>> Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

> My own advice would be don't bother, use Linux instead of Windows.
> Virtually all viruses, spyware and exploits target Windows so save
> yourself the never ending grief!

I second that. If linux/BSD is not your thing, check out a Mac. They have
one of the nicest GUIs going....

Bit Twister

On 3 Sep 2005 23:45:30 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
> Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
> daily.

Daily, you aught to have AV check for updates hourly and you can still
look forward to getting an infection. AV vendors have to catch a copy
of the virus of the hour, test it, add to database, and you pick up up
sometime later.

Cut your losses, move to linux. Make a free/empty/unformated
partition. Pick custom install create a 512 meg swap partiton and the
rest with / and you would be good to go. Here look at install screens
http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/install100.html
That is an old site newest release is 10.2 (LE2005)

Look at the doc link http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en-us/
for Starter and Command Line if you are interested.

Jim Watt

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:36:49 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>David Norris wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
>>> Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
>>> daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
>>> Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

>> My own advice would be don't bother, use Linux instead of Windows.
>> Virtually all viruses, spyware and exploits target Windows so save
>> yourself the never ending grief!

>I second that. If linux/BSD is not your thing, check out a Mac. They have
>one of the nicest GUIs going....

Which won't run most of the commercial and game software around.

The guy wants to run windows.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Eugene Nine

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> After various Viruses, and crashes on my computer I now use a daily 3
> Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
> daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
> Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

Funny, I was doing the same thing, took probably an hour each day to do all
the maintenance on my system not counting backups.
I made the switch to Linux and was surprised how easy it was to setup and I
spent very little time "tinkering" with it as the anti-linux people say.
Been running over a year now, crashed once when my cdburner failed while
burning a cd. Since switching over I've now had the time to get myself
organized and am liking openoffice much more than msoffice, finally have my
home inventory spreadsheets all linked up, a bunch of docs organized and
cleaned up, I've not only become more secure I'm now become more
productive. Now when I'm at the office using the company supplied system
I'm annoyed at how slow and inefficient XP is.