Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Security incident logging?

Security incident logging?

humafewbars@gmail.com

I'm looking for a solution to log our IT security incidents. Just
something to keep track of anything that has happened that our group
has handled. Nothing fancy, just something to show the boss when he
asks "what am I paying you guys for?"

I've already Googled, but everything I find seems to be (1) a help desk
type solution or (2) more gear toward bug tracking. If we need to
create something, that's fine, our developers can do that; but at the
same time, why reinvent the wheel? With security at the forefront of
everyone's mind these days, it's hard to believe there is not something
already out there specifically geared toward IT security.

What are you guys/ladies using (if anything)? A quick and dirty
web-interface-to-database? A segregated (or not) section of the
company's help desk software? A text file/diary? An all-in-one
package? Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

Derrick Stone

Got coldfusion?

We fall into the 'quick and dirty' category... we added a table in our
helpdesk software so that we could tie in to what computers were
affected, etc. and provide notification based on the severity of the event.

It's not great, but it does let us quickly pick out trends.

Derrick