Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password

HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password

madscientist

I am working on a laptop for a friend of mine he bought used. It came
with a power on password and drivelock password. I went into the BIOS
and used the option to reset the password for the admin and also for
the drivelock. I entered the old passwords for each and in the new
password and confirm password field I just hit the Enter key. Now the
power on password won't accept the enter key (blank field) or the old
password. I cannot access floppy drive or bios as it comes on as soon
as the POST test completes. I have disassembled the laptop and removed
the CMOS battery but I have heard the passwords are stored in a
security chip on the mobo. Is there any way to reset this password, get
ahold of the admin password, or short out the password chip, resetting
the security chip? I tried to call HP, but as I looked at the bottom of
the laptop, the serial number label is gone. The guy my friend bought
it from claims it is not "hot" but cannot provide the original manual
or the label with the s/n (very fishy). HP cannot do anything without a
s/n unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Watt

On 29 Aug 2005 15:28:49 -0700, "madscientist"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am working on a laptop for a friend of mine he bought used. It came
>with a power on password and drivelock password. I went into the BIOS
>and used the option to reset the password for the admin and also for
>the drivelock. I entered the old passwords for each and in the new
>password and confirm password field I just hit the Enter key. Now the
>power on password won't accept the enter key (blank field) or the old
>password. I cannot access floppy drive or bios as it comes on as soon
>as the POST test completes. I have disassembled the laptop and removed
>the CMOS battery but I have heard the passwords are stored in a
>security chip on the mobo. Is there any way to reset this password, get
>ahold of the admin password, or short out the password chip, resetting
>the security chip? I tried to call HP, but as I looked at the bottom of
>the laptop, the serial number label is gone. The guy my friend bought
>it from claims it is not "hot" but cannot provide the original manual
>or the label with the s/n (very fishy). HP cannot do anything without a
>s/n unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

Your friend should ask for a refund and return it.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

madscientist

That was one of my suggestions as well. Unfortunately the guy says it
is not his fault we tried to mess with the power on password. He also
claims he never removed the s/n label. Since he was the second owner of
the laptop(the original was a rich college kid from what he tells us),
he claims he got the laptop in the same physical condition he sold it
to my friend in. Thus he says he never removed the label and will not
take it back on those grounds.