Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Can/do PC power saving features effectively turn off ZA and MNW ?

Can/do PC power saving features effectively turn off ZA and MNW ?

'Ole

If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX minutes,
or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a "software
based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
[MyNetWatchman] from working ?

I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
anything.....

cheers.....'Ole [to reply: I live "@shaw.ca"]

Winged

'Ole wrote:
> If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX minutes,
> or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a "software
> based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
> [MyNetWatchman] from working ?
>
> I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
> anything.....

> cheers.....'Ole [to reply: I live "@shaw.ca"]

no system activity should wake it.

winged

Winged

Winged wrote:
> 'Ole wrote:
>
>> If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX
>> minutes,
>> or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a
>> "software
>> based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
>> [MyNetWatchman] from working ?
>>
>> I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
>> anything.....
>>
>> --
>>
>> cheers.....'Ole [to reply: I live "@shaw.ca"]
>>

> no system activity should wake it.
>
> winged

No, system activity will wake the HDD when the interrupt is called.
This will increase latency somewhat. I read what I posted this AM, and
realized the difference a comma can make.

Winged

Hairy One Kenobi

"'Ole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX

minutes,
> or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a

"software
> based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
> [MyNetWatchman] from working ?
>
> I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
> anything.....

The working parts (in ZA's case TruVector) are hooked into the network
layer. Anything that hits that will go through the relevant service *before*
hitting a server/whatever requested the transmission..

A delay (e.g. machine "waking up") only affects the time taken, not the
processing order.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!