Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Microsoft speaks out against New Zealand's new anti-spam law

Reply
Thread Tools

Microsoft speaks out against New Zealand's new anti-spam law

 
 
Imhotep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
"Ryan Hamlin, head of Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group spoke out
against New Zealand's proposed anti-spam legislation, warning that it could
impinge on 'the amazing vehicle of e-mail marketing'.

Anyone wonder why Microsoft is so hated?

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...17258&from=rss

Im
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Max Burke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
> Imhotep scribbled:
> "Ryan Hamlin, head of Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group
> spoke out against New Zealand's proposed anti-spam legislation,
> warning that it could impinge on 'the amazing vehicle of e-mail
> marketing'.


> Anyone wonder why Microsoft is so hated?
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...17258&from=rss


There are far more important things to hate in the world than a software
company.....
That is, if you're not a *nix 'advocate' of course.....

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Imhotep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
Max Burke wrote:

>> Imhotep scribbled:
>> "Ryan Hamlin, head of Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group
>> spoke out against New Zealand's proposed anti-spam legislation,
>> warning that it could impinge on 'the amazing vehicle of e-mail
>> marketing'.

>
>> Anyone wonder why Microsoft is so hated?
>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...17258&from=rss

>
> There are far more important things to hate in the world than a software
> company.....
> That is, if you're not a *nix 'advocate' of course.....
>


....how about major companies that stickup for spammers? How about those same
companies that do not do much to protect their over priced systems from
becoming spyware magnets? Nope, I am content with this being an "important
thing"....

As for being a "*nix advocate" I am and I am proud of that...

Im
 
Reply With Quote
 
optikl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
Imhotep wrote:
> Max Burke wrote:


>>
>>There are far more important things to hate in the world than a software
>>company.....
>>That is, if you're not a *nix 'advocate' of course.....
>>

>
>
> ...how about major companies that stickup for spammers? How about those same
> companies that do not do much to protect their over priced systems from
> becoming spyware magnets? Nope, I am content with this being an "important
> thing"....
>
> As for being a "*nix advocate" I am and I am proud of that...
>
> Im


There wouldn't be as many nix advocates had Microsoft followed the model
that makes great companies great. The three legs of the stool are
customer focus, market share and employee focus. Great companies inspire
customer loyalty, dominate market share and are great places for
employees to work. Microsoft got rid of the first leg a while ago. The
second leg is still strong. I have no idea about the third; any
Microsoft employees care to comment?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Imhotep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
optikl wrote:

> Imhotep wrote:
>> Max Burke wrote:

>
>>>
>>>There are far more important things to hate in the world than a software
>>>company.....
>>>That is, if you're not a *nix 'advocate' of course.....
>>>

>>
>>
>> ...how about major companies that stickup for spammers? How about those
>> same companies that do not do much to protect their over priced systems
>> from becoming spyware magnets? Nope, I am content with this being an
>> "important thing"....
>>
>> As for being a "*nix advocate" I am and I am proud of that...
>>
>> Im

>
> There wouldn't be as many nix advocates had Microsoft followed the model
> that makes great companies great. The three legs of the stool are
> customer focus, market share and employee focus. Great companies inspire
> customer loyalty, dominate market share and are great places for
> employees to work. Microsoft got rid of the first leg a while ago. The
> second leg is still strong. I have no idea about the third; any
> Microsoft employees care to comment?


True. Speaking as a so called "*nix advocate". If they would just stick to
the business model of "Make the best product at the best price" I would not
criticize them. However, they will bend (or break) laws to ensure their
dominance. They have long forgotten about their customers...and have to
rely on illegal business practices to stay on top...


They are even for spammers...ah but yes, "email marketers" have money. I bet
many "email marketers" are also Microsoft business partners...

Im
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Watt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:20:13 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<Snip>

Take this to alt.microsoft.wingers

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Imhotep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
Jim Watt wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:20:13 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
> Take this to alt.microsoft.wingers
>
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com


Ah you're just bummed out because your demigod supports spammers...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dazz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2005
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 03:29:44 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ryan Hamlin, head of Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group spoke out
>against New Zealand's proposed anti-spam legislation, warning that it could
>impinge on 'the amazing vehicle of e-mail marketing'.
>
>Anyone wonder why Microsoft is so hated?
>
>http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...17258&from=rss


Hmmm.

According to Mr Hamlin (of M$):

"He says businesses ought to be able to send unsolicited e-mail to
people even if they are unsure if they have a pre-existing business
relationship with them."

"This is so long as they label their e-mail as advertising, for
example by inserting the code "ADV" at the start of the subject line,
or "participate in an approved self-regulatory programme based on
e-mail best practices". "

lol - what a crock.

Once again, it's a case of M$ dictating what it *thinks* is
appropriate for the rest of the world.

I agree with the NZ Communications Minister:

"Mr Cunliffe says Microsoft's proposed "opt out" approach is too weak
and has been rejected."

""We decided it's going to be opt-in. End of story. Why should you
have to opt out of spam?" "

Exactly.

Dazz

>Im


 
Reply With Quote
 
Imhotep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2005
Dazz wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 03:29:44 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Ryan Hamlin, head of Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group spoke
>>out against New Zealand's proposed anti-spam legislation, warning that it
>>could impinge on 'the amazing vehicle of e-mail marketing'.
>>
>>Anyone wonder why Microsoft is so hated?
>>
>>http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...17258&from=rss

>
> Hmmm.
>
> According to Mr Hamlin (of M$):
>
> "He says businesses ought to be able to send unsolicited e-mail to
> people even if they are unsure if they have a pre-existing business
> relationship with them."
>
> "This is so long as they label their e-mail as advertising, for
> example by inserting the code "ADV" at the start of the subject line,
> or "participate in an approved self-regulatory programme based on
> e-mail best practices". "
>
> lol - what a crock.
>
> Once again, it's a case of M$ dictating what it *thinks* is
> appropriate for the rest of the world.
>
> I agree with the NZ Communications Minister:
>
> "Mr Cunliffe says Microsoft's proposed "opt out" approach is too weak
> and has been rejected."
>
> ""We decided it's going to be opt-in. End of story. Why should you
> have to opt out of spam?" "
>
> Exactly.
>
> Dazz
>
>>Im


Good points!

-- Imhotep
 
Reply With Quote
 
Winged
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2005
optikl wrote:
> Imhotep wrote:
>
>> Max Burke wrote:

>
>
>>>
>>> There are far more important things to hate in the world than a software
>>> company.....
>>> That is, if you're not a *nix 'advocate' of course.....
>>>

>>
>>
>> ...how about major companies that stickup for spammers? How about
>> those same
>> companies that do not do much to protect their over priced systems from
>> becoming spyware magnets? Nope, I am content with this being an
>> "important
>> thing"....
>>
>> As for being a "*nix advocate" I am and I am proud of that...
>>
>> Im

>
>
> There wouldn't be as many nix advocates had Microsoft followed the model
> that makes great companies great. The three legs of the stool are
> customer focus, market share and employee focus. Great companies inspire
> customer loyalty, dominate market share and are great places for
> employees to work. Microsoft got rid of the first leg a while ago. The
> second leg is still strong. I have no idea about the third; any
> Microsoft employees care to comment?


To me it is a question of "who" Microsoft considers its most valuable
customers. Apparently it is not the paying customers, but DRM
advocates, and "advertisers" and their own interests (they do own the
worlds largest movie archive and worlds 3rd largest studio and 2nd
largest TV network).

I have already considered the hardware DRM based approach that MS is now
foisting indicating they have to because the "movie studios demand it"
(indication of customer) before they will allow us the next generation
of digital content. I calculate it will take about $500 in hardware
modifications to break the protection.

Additionally the broken content will be free of any DRM constraint.
This would be illegal however the pirates I do not believe will have any
issue with the limitation.

I am just curious how many millions it will cost their paying customers,
to protect the DRM advocates, on a scheme that won't work. Yes, it
will require hardware modifications, but this behavior has always pushed
the envelope. I expect Freenet and other similar technologies to
blossom in the next decade completely changing the web as we know it
today, and thwarting those who think they control it. It shall be fun to
watch.

Winged
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paris is back in jail again? Chong speaks out =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= Computer Support 2 06-15-2007 09:58 AM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd loyola MCSE 4 11-15-2006 02:40 AM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd loyola Microsoft Certification 3 11-14-2006 05:18 PM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd realexxams@yahoo.com Microsoft Certification 0 05-10-2006 02:35 PM
microsoft.public.dotnet.faqs,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms,microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb Charles A. Lackman ASP .Net 1 12-08-2004 07:08 PM



Advertisments