Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Image-based security codes

Image-based security codes

M. B.

I've recently installed a bunch of programs (firewall, anti-virus, spy
removal, ad blockers, etc...) following the advice of some folks online.
I'm reaping the benefits in dramatic fashion as my computer is now running
better and faster than ever before. The only problem is that now I'm
wanting to register as a user on the site so I can stay "dialed in" and
perhaps learn a thing or two every once in a while. Part of the
registration process involves transcribing a 6-digit image-based security
code. I understand the rationale for using these things but it seems that
my firewall won't allow the images to load, hence I cannot view the code.
I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific setting
I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?

-MB

anders

M. B. wrote:
> I've recently installed a bunch of programs (firewall, anti-virus, spy
> removal, ad blockers, etc...) following the advice of some folks online.
> I'm reaping the benefits in dramatic fashion as my computer is now running
> better and faster than ever before. The only problem is that now I'm
> wanting to register as a user on the site so I can stay "dialed in" and
> perhaps learn a thing or two every once in a while. Part of the
> registration process involves transcribing a 6-digit image-based security
> code. I understand the rationale for using these things but it seems that
> my firewall won't allow the images to load, hence I cannot view the code.
> I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific setting
> I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?
>
> -MB

In you´re browser (if you are useing Firefox), there is an tab in the
settings alowing you to alowed pictures from other web sites.
anders.

Hairy One Kenobi

"M. B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've recently installed a bunch of programs (firewall, anti-virus, spy
> removal, ad blockers, etc...) following the advice of some folks online.
> I'm reaping the benefits in dramatic fashion as my computer is now running
> better and faster than ever before. The only problem is that now I'm
> wanting to register as a user on the site so I can stay "dialed in" and
> perhaps learn a thing or two every once in a while. Part of the
> registration process involves transcribing a 6-digit image-based security
> code. I understand the rationale for using these things but it seems that
> my firewall won't allow the images to load, hence I cannot view the code.
> I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific

setting
> I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?

Chances are that it's XP's built-in popup blocker (doing this via email
would tend to provoke a specific message)

Alternatively, you'll have to give us a small clue as to what other stuff
you've installed... because (in this specific case), it's broken. Give us a
clue, and I'm sure /someone/ will be able to point you how to unbreak it.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Shane Petroff

Veering off topic, what are these utilities commonly called? Can one buy
the software to implement them at your own site? Thanks

--
Shane

M. B.

"Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:wa7Oe.495$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "M. B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I've recently installed a bunch of programs (firewall, anti-virus, spy
> > removal, ad blockers, etc...) following the advice of some folks online.
> > I'm reaping the benefits in dramatic fashion as my computer is now

running
> > better and faster than ever before. The only problem is that now I'm
> > wanting to register as a user on the site so I can stay "dialed in" and
> > perhaps learn a thing or two every once in a while. Part of the
> > registration process involves transcribing a 6-digit image-based

security
> > code. I understand the rationale for using these things but it seems

that
> > my firewall won't allow the images to load, hence I cannot view the

code.
> > I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific

> setting
> > I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?

> Chances are that it's XP's built-in popup blocker (doing this via email
> would tend to provoke a specific message)
>
> Alternatively, you'll have to give us a small clue as to what other stuff
> you've installed... because (in this specific case), it's broken. Give us

> clue, and I'm sure /someone/ will be able to point you how to unbreak it.
>
> --
>
> Hairy One Kenobi
>
> Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
> reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the

opinion
> in the first place. So there!

It turns out that making the website a trusted site (on Internet Explorer)
and adding it to the "Allowed" list on Norton Internet Security fixed the
issue. Thanks for the comments and interest!

-MB