Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...

US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...

Jim Watt

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:25:34 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That illustrates my point. When a search engine has become so popular as to
>be included in a dictionary, you can bet that all sorts of people are using
>it.

The word Google was in the dictionary before the search engine.

Search Engine Searches
---------------------------------------
1 Google 1,164
3 MSN 66
4 AskJeeves 59
5 Altavista 12
6 AOL Search 7

Indeed they dominate the search engine market as much as
MS do the desktop software and browser marketplace.

is there a Linux version of Macromedia's Dreamweaver
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Hairy One Kenobi

"Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iQ9Oe.39690$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>
> > "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsyRNe.27749$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >> I see your point but, don't agree with 100% of it. My point is that
> >> google has become more than a search engine. In fact the other day my
> >> mother, of all people, actually said "Google it" when someone asked her
> >> for a name of a web site. Now she is a AOL user

> > Nope - they're a search engine seeking to become a universal source of
> > "information by searching".

> Nope? Nope to what Google is not very popular?

(Sign) Re-read.. we appear to have a language problem here, because..

> It was a side discussion about browser stats. I simply made the comment

that
> getting the browsers stats from a popular search engine would probably be
> more accurate than a small specialized web site.

..../that's/ actually a pretty good idea. You didn't actually /say/ it,
though (hence my response).

Good luck on getting hold of 'em, though - commercially sensitive data.

H1K

Imhotep

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:25:34 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>That illustrates my point. When a search engine has become so popular as
>>to be included in a dictionary, you can bet that all sorts of people are
>>using it.

> The word Google was in the dictionary before the search engine.
>
> Search Engine Searches
> ---------------------------------------
> 1 Google 1,164
> 3 MSN 66
> 4 AskJeeves 59
> 5 Altavista 12
> 6 AOL Search 7
>
> Indeed they dominate the search engine market as much as
> MS do the desktop software and browser marketplace.

They sure do domainate and they do not force you to buy crapware either! Now
that is domination I can live with...

> is there a Linux version of Macromedia's Dreamweaver

Soon. They are reportedly looking into a linux version. Man that would be
sweet....that is the only application that I need winblows for....

Im

> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Robert Folkerts

Management wrote:

> Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>> of its security features.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

> Now that just is not true, it comes down being lazy and cheap. In
> fact at least one US government security agency has advised people
> to use 'alternative browsers', meaning Firefox, Opera, etc.
>
> My wife & I have a number of US & UK bank accounts between us that
> are very happy to accept accept Firefox. Not forgetting Amazon,
> eBay, paypal and every site that I've bought from.
>
> With IE's position being gradually eaten away we will see all sites
> having be able to deal with Firefox, etc.
>
> Quite simply a sensible website designer will design his/her site to
> be compliant with web standards - that is not use any IE specific
> coding (no ActiveX) and not use Frontpage to create it. That way the
> designer can be sure that the site will render correctly in all
> graphical browsers.
>

> Charlie.
>

> PS: this is my last response to you Jim lad as it seems to me that
> you just like to argue blindly. Hope the sun is shining on you in
> Gibraltar

This is a government web site, so it must meet the requirements of Section
508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If the site it coded to accept
only Internet Explorer, it simply cannot meet Section 508. There are blind
and mobility impared users that need text interfaces rather than a
graphical interface. So, if you see a site that doesn't render with Lynx
(lynx.browser.org), you can be pretty suer that the site will not meet the
requirements of Section 508.

Hey web developers! Don't be lazy. Code to the following standards.
1) all content in VALID (x)html
2) all graphics need 'alt' descriptions
3) formatting in CSS

In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, Christ tells us to care for the
handicapped. Anthropologists trace the beginnings of civiliation to
evidence that people helped handicapped tribe members (e.g., evidence that
people were fed while bones mended). No matter what your world view,
addressing the needs of all citizens is the mark of civility. So code for
everyone, not just users of the 'majority browser'.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Robert Folkerts" <Robert.Folkerts@no_spam_mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Management wrote:

<big breath, big snip>

> Hey web developers! Don't be lazy. Code to the following standards.
> 1) all content in VALID (x)html
> 2) all graphics need 'alt' descriptions
> 3) formatting in CSS

It's a lot harder than it sounds (although, according to El Reg, in this
particular case [copyright applications] the W3C is wading in)

1. Valid is good. Valid is easier than invalid. The problem comes when
certain browsers don't function with certain standard functions. I leave a
long-obsolete CENTER tag specifically for this (Mozilla/Firefox)

2. We'll probably agree to disagree on this one - all *meaningful* graphics
should have an ALT, but - speaking from practical experience - an utterly
pointless description is merely a distraction to someone with vision
problems. My father is partially-sighted, so this isn't some theoretical
comment ;o)

3. Like valid HTML, valid CSS is wonderful. But browser dependant. Nutscrape
4.7 was particularly annoying in this respect, as one could set something
/in/visible, but couldn't rely on it ever becoming /visible/ again. Very
bl**dy welcome, when you've spent simply /ages/ building an entirely
CSS-based menu system \

Oh, and all of these take at least 190% longer than you thought they would.
I'm generalising, but comments such as "it'll only take five minutes"
usually come from people who not only have no clue how long something would
take, but also no clue on even what's involved.

Certainly not pointing fingers on that last one - just making a general
comment. Well, if you know the floggie I have to work with... )

H1K

gov't regulation of VOiP Noname VOIP 13 05-19-2006 05:59 PM
System clock off by 3 hours after auto reset through NIST gov. willshak Computer Support 1 11-22-2004 12:53 PM
gov grants Melad Marji Sr Computer Support 4 09-10-2004 07:06 AM
time.nist.gov set my PC date to 19Aug2036 Jimmy Dean Computer Support 2 08-18-2004 06:56 AM
http://judiciary.senate.gov/testimony.cfm?id=1085&wit_id=2514 G. Orme MCSE 0 03-06-2004 03:44 AM

Advertisments