Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...

US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...

Steve Welsh

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> .... A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
> with Firefox....

I use ibanking at Barclays, and have used Firefox with absolutely no
problems
at all, right from version 0.7 of Firefox and straight 'out of the box',
both
on Windoze and Linux versions, so I don't know where that one comes from.

Steve

Hairy One Kenobi

"Steve Welsh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> > .... A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
> > with Firefox....

> I use ibanking at Barclays, and have used Firefox with absolutely no
> problems at all, right from version 0.7 of Firefox and straight 'out of
> the box', both on Windoze and Linux versions, so I don't know where that
> one comes from.

Well, the version he used, against the site version at Barclays at the time,
apparently didn't work. IIRC, it was a widely-publicised major version check
(Firefox used to report version zero/one, haven't check myself, recently,
whether it now reports the correct Mozilla version)

BTW, you might want to deselect the "post thrice" option ;o)

H1K

Imhotep

Micheal Robert Zium wrote:

> Jim Watt wrote:
>
>>Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>>of its security features.

> Thanks for the comedy. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
> I'd be very interested to read anything that would shed some light on
> that statement. Anything to back it up.

The guy is an idiot. He makes me laugh (at him) a lot...at least he is good
for something.

Imhotep

Steve Welsh

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> "Steve Welsh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>>
>>>.... A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
>>>with Firefox....

>>I use ibanking at Barclays, and have used Firefox with absolutely no
>>problems at all, right from version 0.7 of Firefox and straight 'out of
>>the box', both on Windoze and Linux versions, so I don't know where that
>>one comes from.

> Well, the version he used, against the site version at Barclays at the time,
> apparently didn't work. IIRC, it was a widely-publicised major version check
> (Firefox used to report version zero/one, haven't check myself, recently,
> whether it now reports the correct Mozilla version)
>
> BTW, you might want to deselect the "post thrice" option ;o)
>
> H1K

Yes, apologies all :-O

Imhotep

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> to,

Honestly, I do not use IE (or Windows) do to the high security concerns with
both. I do a lot of online banking (both personal and business). I have
never had a problem.

Although I am sure that, Microsoft is the driving force behind this. They
can not compete so they are trying to force incompatibilities. Damn I
really despise that company. MS moto "If you can't compete, cheat".

Imhotep

Management wrote:

> Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>> of its security features.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

> Now that just is not true, it comes down being lazy and cheap. In
> fact at least one US government security agency has advised people
> to use 'alternative browsers', meaning Firefox, Opera, etc.
>
> My wife & I have a number of US & UK bank accounts between us that
> are very happy to accept accept Firefox. Not forgetting Amazon,
> eBay, paypal and every site that I've bought from.
>
> With IE's position being gradually eaten away we will see all sites
> having be able to deal with Firefox, etc.
>
> Quite simply a sensible website designer will design his/her site to
> be compliant with web standards - that is not use any IE specific
> coding (no ActiveX) and not use Frontpage to create it. That way the
> designer can be sure that the site will render correctly in all
> graphical browsers.
>

> Charlie.
>

> PS: this is my last response to you Jim lad as it seems to me that
> you just like to argue blindly. Hope the sun is shining on you in
> Gibraltar

That is very true. I worked for the DOE for a while and we "highly
recommended" NOT using IE...

Im

Imhotep

Imhotep wrote:

> I am not sure if this affects anyone but, I thought I would post it. I
> think it is BS to restrict access to a Gov agency. Definitely worth a law
> suit if they do this as it is restricting my access to a governmental
> agency.
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/147197/
>
> Im

There have been some good comments. However, the point is that the US gov
(any gov) should not block access to it's resources by using proprietary
technology. If you have an opinion on this please send your comments to the
link in the article. Ignoring the comic relief from Jim Watt, This is a
very serious issue for everyone....

Im

Jim Watt

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:33:28 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Micheal Robert Zium wrote:
>
>> Jim Watt wrote:
>>
>>>Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>>>of its security features.

>> Thanks for the comedy. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
>> I'd be very interested to read anything that would shed some light on
>> that statement. Anything to back it up.

>The guy is an idiot.

So you keep saying, but you have a fixation..

again the statistics tell a different story

Heres some figures based on the last weeks activity on
my website which gets 1000+ unique visitors per day from
all over: I do not have shares in Microsoft.

I believe the current firefox reports as Netscape 6
yes it popular, at about 10% of IE

Browser % of Total Visitors
1 Internet Explorer 6.x 75.46%
2 Netscape 6.x 8.49%
3 Internet Explorer 5. 4.78%
4 Netscape 4.x 3.01%
5 Others 2.00%

'Others' even includes people using IE4 ...
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Management

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
<SNIP>

> I'd love a cite on that one (preferably not from an evangalist). My company
> codes cross-platform, so it's something that would be useful to me
> personally in discussions (all large customers - aside from a Nutscrape 4.7
> French car maker - are 100% IE outside of the IT department)

H1K,

Here it is, from USCERT
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878

<QUOTE>
Use a different web browser

There are a number of significant vulnerabilities in technologies
related to the IE domain/zone security model, trust in and access to
the local file system (Local Machine Zone), the Dynamic HTML (DHTML)
document object model (in particular, proprietary DHTML features),
the HTML Help system, MIME type determination, the graphical user
interface (GUI), and ActiveX. These technologies are implemented as
operating system components that are used by IE and many other
programs to provide web browser functionality. These components are
integrated into Windows to such an extent that vulnerabilities in IE
frequently provide an attacker significant access to the operating
system.

It is possible to reduce exposure to these vulnerabilities by using
a different web browser, especially when viewing untrusted HTML
documents (e.g., web sites, HTML email messages). Such a decision
may, however, reduce the functionality of sites that require
IE-specific features such as proprietary DHTML, VBScript, and
ActiveX. Note that using a different web browser will not remove IE
from a Windows system, and other programs may invoke IE, the
WebBrowser ActiveX control (WebOC), or the HTML rendering engine
(MSHTML).

<UNQUOTE>

<SNIP>
Latest vulnerabilities here:
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/alerts/SA05-221A.html
These are covered by the latest batch of patches from MS.

> The only site that I access with ActiveX is Windows Update, and things that
> require plug-ins such as Flash or PDF (same damn technology under the
> covers, no matter how you dress it up).

Me too

<SNIP>

Charlie.

--
Broadcasting to the environs
www.radiowymsey.org

Micheal Robert Zium

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

>"Micheal Robert Zium" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Jim Watt wrote:
>>
>> >Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>> >of its security features.

>> Thanks for the comedy. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
>> I'd be very interested to read anything that would shed some light on
>> that statement. Anything to back it up.

>RBS/Natwest currently mandate IE. FirstDirect (Midland, now HSBC) used to,
>when I was with them. A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
>with Firefox, but I'm not sure of their official policy. I think that
>Commerzbank recently kludged to allow it.
>
>A quick search reveals that Commerce Bank & Trust in the US (never heard of
>'em) do officially support Firefox. As do Berliner Bank and Sparkasse
>Pforzheim in Germany, and HVB Bank in the Czech Republic (although only on
>Windows). Feel free to go beyond the first 100 Google hits...

I never questioned that the idiots at some banks may require their
customers to use IE, I was referring to the laughable claim of IE's
superior security features.

gov't regulation of VOiP Noname VOIP 13 05-19-2006 05:59 PM
System clock off by 3 hours after auto reset through NIST gov. willshak Computer Support 1 11-22-2004 12:53 PM
gov grants Melad Marji Sr Computer Support 4 09-10-2004 07:06 AM
time.nist.gov set my PC date to 19Aug2036 Jimmy Dean Computer Support 2 08-18-2004 06:56 AM
http://judiciary.senate.gov/testimony.cfm?id=1085&wit_id=2514 G. Orme MCSE 0 03-06-2004 03:44 AM

Advertisments