Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > French Gov handing out Linux in schools

French Gov handing out Linux in schools

Imhotep

It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...

http://lwn.net/Articles/147174/

Im

Jason

* Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/147174/
>
> Im

Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
fixing xp boxs all damn day.

Jason

Phil

Imhotep wrote:

> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...

This is strange ( and I speak as a Linux convert living in France). After
all, France has very strict separation of state and religion - far stricter
than in the US - and we all know that operating systems are a religious
issue

Imhotep

Phil wrote:

> Imhotep wrote:
>
>> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...

> This is strange ( and I speak as a Linux convert living in France). After
> all, France has very strict separation of state and religion - far
> stricter than in the US - and we all know that operating systems are a
> religious issue

For some perhaps...

Imhotep

Jason wrote:

> * Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...
>>
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/147174/
>>
>> Im

> Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
> fixing xp boxs all damn day.
>
> Jason

....I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:X_rLe.13758$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Jason wrote:
>
> > * Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> >> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...
> >>
> >> http://lwn.net/Articles/147174/
> >>
> >> Im

> > Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
> > fixing xp boxs all damn day.
> >
> > Jason

> ...I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

(Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
Which happens to be Windows.

If there is ever that big shift to Linux (due in 1996, if memory serves),
then it'll get written for Linux. And /please/ don't try to convince me that
it's somehow magically immune from bugs - there's *always* one more bug.

According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between security-by-obscurity
and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is something
more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the same
analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the fact that
it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Imhotep

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:X_rLe.13758$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Jason wrote:

>> > Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
>> > fixing xp boxs all damn day.
>> >
>> > Jason

>> ...I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

> (Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
> Which happens to be Windows.

You are partially right and wrong. I have many friends that, well, partake
in "security testing and coding adventures". They are opportunists and as
such will code for whatever is the easiest to hack/crack. They do not care
what the os is...

The problem with windows is that they constructed a lot of their technology
with the focus to enforce their business strategy. Rather than staying pure
to using the best technology. For example Window's registry is a POS. It
was designed to force companies into being a "business partner" of
Microsoft. They intentionally made it cryptic. By doing that they also
caused many problems for the OS....

> If there is ever that big shift to Linux (due in 1996, if memory serves),
> then it'll get written for Linux. And /please/ don't try to convince me
> that it's somehow magically immune from bugs - there's *always* one more
> bug.

Never said Linux/BSD is perfect. I said Linux/BSD is BETTER...

> According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between security-by-obscurity
> and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is something
> more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the same
> analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the fact that
> it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)

Not true. Many of Linux/BSD is coded to the standards which are designed by
many, many qualified individuals around the World. These are very, very
talented individuals. Furthermore, since the code is written using the
standards, and you can view it for yourself, it is security that way it
should be.

I had a chance to view Microsoft code in College. My school was working with
Microsoft on a project and I was a team member. It was the worse code I
have ever viewed...can you say the same? Probably not as they hide their
code then sell you crap like "Get the Facts". I am really surprised at how
well Microsoft zombiefies a lot of people....I would love to study the
psychology behind it some day. That company can convice an Eskimo that he
should buy a 1/2 ton of ice cubes every month. I guess most people really
are quite stupid....

Hairy One Kenobi

"Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ysNLe.15663$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>
> > "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:X_rLe.13758$(E-Mail Removed). ..

<snip>

> >> ...I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

> > (Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
> > Which happens to be Windows.

> You are partially right and wrong. I have many friends that, well, partake
> in "security testing and coding adventures". They are opportunists and as
> such will code for whatever is the easiest to hack/crack. They do not care
> what the os is...

Spyware != hack/crack attempts

> The problem with windows is that they constructed a lot of their

technology
> with the focus to enforce their business strategy. Rather than staying

pure
> to using the best technology. For example Window's registry is a POS. It
> was designed to force companies into being a "business partner" of
> Microsoft. They intentionally made it cryptic. By doing that they also
> caused many problems for the OS....

(Cough) Speaking as one who used Windows 2 in anger (that many lock ups and
freezes would get *anyone* angry, believe me ;o), th plethora of PIF and INI
files was a right PITA. The registry concept is quite a bit older than
Win95. Can't remember where it first came from (PARC wouldn't surprise me).

<snip>

> > According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between

security-by-obscurity
> > and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is

something
> > more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the same
> > analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the fact

that
> > it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)
> >

> Not true. Many of Linux/BSD is coded to the standards which are designed

by
> many, many qualified individuals around the World. These are very, very
> talented individuals. Furthermore, since the code is written using the
> standards, and you can view it for yourself, it is security that way it
> should be.

Actually, read what I wrote. An analyst isn't anything to do with
programming - I'm talking people like Gartner, IDC, et al.

Neither Linux or BSD have adopted any *coding* standards that I am aware
of - just standards for things like protocols. Which everyone has to use in
order to interoperate (with greater or lesser degree of compliance).

> I had a chance to view Microsoft code in College. My school was working

with
> Microsoft on a project and I was a team member. It was the worse code I
> have ever viewed...can you say the same?

Say what? That I've been to college (yes), that I've worked on a shared
product with MS (no, but my company have), that I've been a member or a team
(yes), or that I've seen MS source code (yes, at a previous company)?

It most certainly wasn't the worst code that I've seen; that dubious
privilege goes to one Ravi Patel, late of CAP Gemini Sogeti. The man had a
goddamn' GOTO fetish.. my personal record was ripping-out three pages of
FORTRAN and replacing it with five lines of code.

> Probably not as they hide their
> code then sell you crap like "Get the Facts". I am really surprised at how
> well Microsoft zombiefies a lot of people....I would love to study the
> psychology behind it some day. That company can convice an Eskimo that he
> should buy a 1/2 ton of ice cubes every month. I guess most people really
> are quite stupid....

Quite possibly.. like those who believe *nix to be in any way.. new.

H1K

Imhotep

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ysNLe.15663$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>>
>> > "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:X_rLe.13758$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> <snip>

>> > (Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
>> > Which happens to be Windows.

>> You are partially right and wrong. I have many friends that, well,
>> partake in "security testing and coding adventures". They are
>> opportunists and as such will code for whatever is the easiest to
>> hack/crack. They do not care what the os is...

> Spyware != hack/crack attempts

if(Spyware == Microsoft problem )
{
while(1)
printf("I am a idiot for purchasing a Microsoft product\n");
}

>> The problem with windows is that they constructed a lot of their

> technology
>> with the focus to enforce their business strategy. Rather than staying

> pure
>> to using the best technology. For example Window's registry is a POS. It
>> was designed to force companies into being a "business partner" of
>> Microsoft. They intentionally made it cryptic. By doing that they also
>> caused many problems for the OS....

> (Cough) Speaking as one who used Windows 2 in anger (that many lock ups
> and freezes would get *anyone* angry, believe me ;o), th plethora of PIF
> and INI files was a right PITA. The registry concept is quite a bit older
> than Win95. Can't remember where it first came from (PARC wouldn't
> surprise me).
>
> <snip>
>
>> > According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between

> security-by-obscurity
>> > and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is

> something
>> > more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the
>> > same analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the
>> > fact

> that
>> > it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)
>> >

>> Not true. Many of Linux/BSD is coded to the standards which are designed

> by
>> many, many qualified individuals around the World. These are very, very
>> talented individuals. Furthermore, since the code is written using the
>> standards, and you can view it for yourself, it is security that way it
>> should be.

> Actually, read what I wrote. An analyst isn't anything to do with
> programming - I'm talking people like Gartner, IDC, et al.

Not following you on this. Please explain...

> Neither Linux or BSD have adopted any *coding* standards that I am aware
> of - just standards for things like protocols. Which everyone has to use
> in order to interoperate (with greater or lesser degree of compliance).

I am talking about coding to protocol standards....Having an OS/Application
that is standards based, to me, is the most important thing....

>> I had a chance to view Microsoft code in College. My school was working

> with
>> Microsoft on a project and I was a team member. It was the worse code I
>> have ever viewed...can you say the same?

> Say what? That I've been to college (yes), that I've worked on a shared
> product with MS (no, but my company have), that I've been a member or a
> team (yes), or that I've seen MS source code (yes, at a previous company)?
>
> It most certainly wasn't the worst code that I've seen; that dubious
> privilege goes to one Ravi Patel, late of CAP Gemini Sogeti. The man had a
> goddamn' GOTO fetish.. my personal record was ripping-out three pages of
> FORTRAN and replacing it with five lines of code.
>
>> Probably not as they hide their
>> code then sell you crap like "Get the Facts". I am really surprised at
>> how well Microsoft zombiefies a lot of people....I would love to study
>> the psychology behind it some day. That company can convice an Eskimo
>> that he should buy a 1/2 ton of ice cubes every month. I guess most
>> people really are quite stupid....

> Quite possibly.. like those who believe *nix to be in any way.. new.

True. I have meet many people who say "Red Hat" that is a computer language
right? I usually just laugh...

> H1K

Beachcomber

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:32:12 +0200, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Imhotep wrote:
>
>> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...

>This is strange ( and I speak as a Linux convert living in France). After
>all, France has very strict separation of state and religion - far stricter
>than in the US - and we all know that operating systems are a religious
>issue

The French hate Microsoft (even more than most people hate Microsoft)
because they are jealous of its success. The fact that it is an
American Company really irks them, especially government officials.
There are many more examples.

1. Many French are sensitive about American Movies, but again there
is this jealousy because American Movies are the most popular in the
world. They even sabotaged a movie that was French made (A Fairly
Long Engagement) from awards and recognition because the production
was funded partially with American money from an American studio.

2. The one American many French profess to admire (besides Jerry
Lewis) is Walt Disney. Yet when Disneyland Paris opened in France,
many critics claimed it would be a "Cultural Chernobyl".

3. The French hate the fact that Boeing (again an American Company)
is a dominant manufacturer of aircraft in the aviation industry and
were instrumental in creating Airbus (Headquartered in Toulouse,
France) to compete, constantly drawing on heavy government subsidies.

4. France is heavily dependant upon tourism for its economy and a
large number of those tourists used to be Americans. Guess what?
Many of those Americans are no longer considered spending their
tourist money in France. One reason is that the Euro (again, an
invention that was mostly promoted by France) is so high, that the
American Dollar is mostly in the dumps as far as exchange rate. Who
wants to be ripped off for a cup of coffee or a hotel room? If you
do, you might like visiting France.

Beachcomber