Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > My first Attempted phish email....FOILED!

My first Attempted phish email....FOILED!

Sammy Smith

Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal demanding
I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had read about these
types of emails and reported/forwarded the email to paypal. I have
deleted the email without acting on it. I hope they catch the S.O.B.
who victimize innocent people.
My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
TIA!

Juergen Nieveler

Sammy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
> I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?

They got your email somewhere, just like spammers do. They don't care
wether you actually are registered with Ebay or Paypal.

I often get phishing mails for banks that I haven't even heard off - of
course, I always take the time to enter my informations into their
forms before reporting their site. Oh, BTW, would you believe I'm a
90-year-old nun living in Paraguay?

Juergen Nieveler
--
Never shoot to kill. Shoot to live!

Jim Watt

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:34:19 GMT, Sammy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal demanding
>I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had read about these
>types of emails and reported/forwarded the email to paypal. I have
>deleted the email without acting on it. I hope they catch the S.O.B.
>who victimize innocent people.
>My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
>I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
>TIA!

I regularly get them on accounts that have never been used
for financial purposes, it works on the principle if you send enough
some will get a result.

If you get any more check if the website is active and if it is
report it to paypal, otherwise chances are its history.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Management

Sammy Smith wrote:
> Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal demanding
> I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had read about these
> types of emails and reported/forwarded the email to paypal. I have
> deleted the email without acting on it. I hope they catch the S.O.B.
> who victimize innocent people.
> My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
> I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
> TIA!

Before deleting next time forward it, with headers, to
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and check out suspects at
http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/

As to how they found you, they may not have directly. They may well
have used software to generate plausible addresses and they don't
care if a few million bounce 'cos the senders email address is spoofed!

Charlie.

--
Broadcasting to the environs
www.radiowymsey.org

David H. Lipman

From: "Sammy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal demanding
| I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had read about these
| types of emails and reported/forwarded the email to paypal. I have
| deleted the email without acting on it. I hope they catch the S.O.B.
| who victimize innocent people.
| My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
| I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
| TIA!

Its just like spam. They buy, trade or harvest email addresses and then send the email
enmasse.

Report all phishing attempts to the Anti Phishing Working Group
http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html

Send the full header and body of the email to...

(E-Mail Removed)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Max Wachtel

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "Sammy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>| Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal
>| demanding I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had
>| read about these types of emails and reported/forwarded the email
>| to paypal. I have deleted the email without acting on it. I hope
>| they catch the S.O.B. who victimize innocent people.
>| My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
>| I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s)
>| find me? TIA!
>
> Its just like spam. They buy, trade or harvest email addresses
> and then send the email enmasse.
>
> Report all phishing attempts to the Anti Phishing Working Group
> http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html
>
> Send the full header and body of the email to...
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

David-
I usually just forward those to (E-Mail Removed) but I will start to
also send them to antiphishing.org
Thanks for links
-max

Registered Linux User #393236

Jim Watt

On 31 Jul 2005 20:04:33 GMT, Max Wachtel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
>
>> From: "Sammy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>>| Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal
>>| demanding I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had
>>| read about these types of emails and reported/forwarded the email
>>| to paypal. I have deleted the email without acting on it. I hope
>>| they catch the S.O.B. who victimize innocent people.
>>| My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
>>| I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s)
>>| find me? TIA!
>>
>> Its just like spam. They buy, trade or harvest email addresses
>> and then send the email enmasse.
>>
>> Report all phishing attempts to the Anti Phishing Working Group
>> http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html
>>
>> Send the full header and body of the email to...
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>David-
>I usually just forward those to (E-Mail Removed) but I will start to
>also send them to antiphishing.org
>Thanks for links
>-max

if the bogus website is still active, and its paypal its best to mail
them to the address given on the real paypal site, its in their
interest to take these things down as quickly as possible and
they are the guys with the credentials to do it.

If the site is gone, its probably already been actioned so further
emails are just noise.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

lpaulson3

Two ways they could have found you. One, they could have created random
e-mail addresses. Two they could have just gotten you e-mail address off a
list and sent everyone on that list a phishing e-mail that claimed to be
from pay-pal.
I get e-mails all the time that claim to want verification for comapanies I
do no business with. The most common ones are Ebay, Pay-pal, and NCUA. I
do get others occasionally, most notably Visa.
The best way to deal with these people is to report the websites to their
hosting company. 99% of all hosts on the internet prohibit phishing and will
delete the account if you report it to them. Track the IP, and find the
server. Once you find the server you can find their abuse e-mail address
and report the perp

phish by VoIP Rick Merrill VOIP 4 05-03-2006 02:13 PM
One way to deal with phish websites Joel Rubin Computer Support 1 07-16-2005 06:16 AM
drowning the phish anthonyberet Computer Support 7 06-12-2005 01:40 AM
Re: Your favorite phish show JimmyTango@pinoymail.com Digital Photography 4 01-30-2004 12:52 PM

Advertisments