Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > A MUST READ

A MUST READ

Imhotep

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11259

Cisco, unfortunately, has joined the ranks of Microsoft, etc in trying to
use so-called "Intellectual Property" claims to prevent people of
disseminating security vulnerabilities even when the vulnerabilities could
cause havoc never before seen. It is too bad, I have always respected
Cisco. Yet again we are seeing how "Intellectual Property" Laws MUST BE
REPEALED...

-Im

Winged

Imhotep wrote:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11259
>
> Cisco, unfortunately, has joined the ranks of Microsoft, etc in trying to
> use so-called "Intellectual Property" claims to prevent people of
> disseminating security vulnerabilities even when the vulnerabilities could
> cause havoc never before seen. It is too bad, I have always respected
> Cisco. Yet again we are seeing how "Intellectual Property" Laws MUST BE
> REPEALED...
>
> -Im

It is far more than just Cisco. You have video card manufacturers as
well as monitor vendors (yes, even your monitor will need replacing)
when Vista comes into play, all in the name of DRM.

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/628
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/11..._windows_vista

My personal belief is this is yet another ploy to kill off competing
operating systems (spelled LINUX) under the guise of protecting us from
using illegal music. Time to build your God boxes, the availability of
devices which do not have these "features" my become limited. The
ability of the average Joe to write low level code to do things may be
at threat as well. (I still do not know enough about these features).

My concern is far greater than loss of functionality. I do not copy
music or movies. My concern is this is a ploy of limiting competition.
This will limit the possibility of future competing OS's (Microsoft
owns the technology) I believe this ploy makes even Apples long term
viability questionable. The will be impacts with many other competing
vendors as either the cost of their doing business will rise (those who
do not license the technology) or they will be required to license the
technology from Microsoft (either way Microsoft wins). This technology
will have direct cost consumers throughout the life cycle of a device.

With Microsoft history building in spyware features, under the new
system, their should be no limit what is possible.

The time for Linux migration and free net implementation is now, those
who wait will find the hardware costs to support LINUX either
unavailable or too expensive to purchase.

I also believe it is urgent that people become activated with their
legislators to trim the power of the DRM advocates.

Winged

Imhotep

Winged wrote:

> Imhotep wrote:
>> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11259
>>
>> Cisco, unfortunately, has joined the ranks of Microsoft, etc in trying to
>> use so-called "Intellectual Property" claims to prevent people of
>> disseminating security vulnerabilities even when the vulnerabilities
>> could cause havoc never before seen. It is too bad, I have always
>> respected Cisco. Yet again we are seeing how "Intellectual Property" Laws
>> MUST BE REPEALED...
>>
>> -Im

> It is far more than just Cisco. You have video card manufacturers as
> well as monitor vendors (yes, even your monitor will need replacing)
> when Vista comes into play, all in the name of DRM.

> http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/628
> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/11..._windows_vista
>
> My personal belief is this is yet another ploy to kill off competing
> operating systems (spelled LINUX) under the guise of protecting us from
> using illegal music. Time to build your God boxes, the availability of
> devices which do not have these "features" my become limited. The
> ability of the average Joe to write low level code to do things may be
> at threat as well. (I still do not know enough about these features).
>
> My concern is far greater than loss of functionality. I do not copy
> music or movies. My concern is this is a ploy of limiting competition.
> This will limit the possibility of future competing OS's (Microsoft
> owns the technology) I believe this ploy makes even Apples long term
> viability questionable. The will be impacts with many other competing
> vendors as either the cost of their doing business will rise (those who
> do not license the technology) or they will be required to license the
> technology from Microsoft (either way Microsoft wins). This technology
> will have direct cost consumers throughout the life cycle of a device.
>
> With Microsoft history building in spyware features, under the new
> system, their should be no limit what is possible.
>
> The time for Linux migration and free net implementation is now, those
> who wait will find the hardware costs to support LINUX either
> unavailable or too expensive to purchase.
>
> I also believe it is urgent that people become activated with their
> legislators to trim the power of the DRM advocates.
>
> Winged

Sorry but Windows is the operating system for fools. I will not need to do
anything as will not use it.

-Im

Imhotep

Winged wrote:

> Imhotep wrote:
>> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11259
>>
>> Cisco, unfortunately, has joined the ranks of Microsoft, etc in trying to
>> use so-called "Intellectual Property" claims to prevent people of
>> disseminating security vulnerabilities even when the vulnerabilities
>> could cause havoc never before seen. It is too bad, I have always
>> respected Cisco. Yet again we are seeing how "Intellectual Property" Laws
>> MUST BE REPEALED...
>>
>> -Im

> It is far more than just Cisco. You have video card manufacturers as
> well as monitor vendors (yes, even your monitor will need replacing)
> when Vista comes into play, all in the name of DRM.

> http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/628
> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/11..._windows_vista
>
> My personal belief is this is yet another ploy to kill off competing
> operating systems (spelled LINUX) under the guise of protecting us from
> using illegal music. Time to build your God boxes, the availability of
> devices which do not have these "features" my become limited. The
> ability of the average Joe to write low level code to do things may be
> at threat as well. (I still do not know enough about these features).
>
> My concern is far greater than loss of functionality. I do not copy
> music or movies. My concern is this is a ploy of limiting competition.
> This will limit the possibility of future competing OS's (Microsoft
> owns the technology) I believe this ploy makes even Apples long term
> viability questionable. The will be impacts with many other competing
> vendors as either the cost of their doing business will rise (those who
> do not license the technology) or they will be required to license the
> technology from Microsoft (either way Microsoft wins). This technology
> will have direct cost consumers throughout the life cycle of a device.
>
> With Microsoft history building in spyware features, under the new
> system, their should be no limit what is possible.
>
> The time for Linux migration and free net implementation is now, those
> who wait will find the hardware costs to support LINUX either
> unavailable or too expensive to purchase.
>
> I also believe it is urgent that people become activated with their
> legislators to trim the power of the DRM advocates.
>
> Winged

....I agree with you 100% by the way.....

Jim Watt

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:05:36 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry but Windows is the operating system for fools.

So you say, but you are a dumbarse mac user.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Imhotep

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:05:36 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sorry but Windows is the operating system for fools.

> So you say, but you are a dumbarse mac user.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

....Are you a retard or just practicing to be certified? You are however a
flaming idiot...look at the headers moron, here I will spoon feed you some
technology (so don't choke on it)

From my last news posting (the one you replied too)

KNode is part of KDE's desktop running on Linux/BSD systems. Look it up
moron...

...and another thing if you can not add something, anything, of value
(definitely not your knowledge by the way) don't post. You are just wasting
everyone's time trying to be something you are not: KNOWLEDGEABLE

-Im

Solbu

Imhotep sent the following transmission through subspace:

> Sorry but Windows is the operating system for fools. I will not need to do
> anything as will not use it.

You had to quote the ENTIRE post in order to say that?

=

--
Solbu - http://www.solbu.net
Remove 'ugyldig' for email

Jim Watt

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:01:57 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

I'm not really bothered what machine or software you use
nor is anyone else.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Imhotep

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:01:57 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm not really bothered what machine or software you use
> nor is anyone else.
>
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

....the why do you make stupid comments about it then? I quote you "So you
say, but you are a dumbarse mac user." Face it, you made a smartass
comment, but you did not have a clue. I proved you are a moron, yet again,
and now you are saying you are not bothered by what machine I am using? Jim
get a clue, or rent one, because you are a high class moron. Nothing more,
nothing less.

Jim Watt

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:10:29 GMT, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

From: Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Re: HELP!!!!!
Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:00:47 GMT

gwyn davies wrote:

> My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
> software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
> something to stop it getting there in the first place.

Switch to a Mac...

+++

Shove it up your arse mother****er.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Why must and must not be "final" ? NeoGeoSNK Java 25 11-24-2006 02:02 AM
Must read MS KB Article. Wayne MCSE 73 07-26-2005 08:33 AM
MUST READ - Tips & Tricks for preparing for Windows C# exam (70-31 =?Utf-8?B?UmFqYQ==?= MCSD 0 06-01-2005 03:32 PM
Sol: The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS sytelus@yahoo.com ASP .Net 0 03-02-2005 05:14 AM
A MUST READ!..OFF TOPIC alpha Cisco 0 01-05-2005 03:31 PM

Advertisments