Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > HELP!!!!!

HELP!!!!!

gwyn davies

My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
something to stop it getting there in the first place.

Yddap

In news:dc3l5a$r3c$(E-Mail Removed),
gwyn davies <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
> My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti
> spyware software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and
> adware. i eed something to stop it getting there in the first place.

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

Winged

Yddap wrote:
> In news:dc3l5a$r3c$(E-Mail Removed),
> gwyn davies <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
>
>>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti
>>spyware software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and
>>adware. i eed something to stop it getting there in the first place.

> Download, update and use *all* of the following:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
> http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> http://www.lavasoft.nu/
>
> Spyware Blaster
> http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip

The Microsoft beta spyware tool (formerly giant):

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Is a good tool though the various monitoring features use some cpu
cycles. It identifies several items the others miss. None of them get
everything, but these are a good start.

All of the above tools except Microsoft beta can be obtained at the
following site: http://www.majorgeeks.com under spyware menu

Winged

Jim Watt

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
>software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
>something to stop it getting there in the first place.

The tools the others referenced will help but the most
important prevention method is not to download crap
from the internet.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

ruinz

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
>>software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
>>something to stop it getting there in the first place.

> The tools the others referenced will help but the most
> important prevention method is not to download crap
> from the internet.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Thats got to be the most smart ass answer I've come across here.
especially since by posting on usenet you are downloading and uploading
"crap" to the server. By going online you are downloading "crap"
constantly. Doing research for school can take you to a page which has
an ad runing ADO's which can download spyware or adware on to your PC.
You can get the programs by installing software. My point is, don't post
a snide remark unless it is coupled with something usful. If you don't
want to legitimately help a person, then don't and go on to the next thread.

Jim Nugent

"ruinz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42e61254$0$30314$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> Jim Watt wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
> >>software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
> >>something to stop it getting there in the first place.

> > The tools the others referenced will help but the most
> > important prevention method is not to download crap
> > from the internet.
> > --
> > Jim Watt
> > http://www.gibnet.com

> Thats got to be the most smart ass answer I've come across here.
> especially since by posting on usenet you are downloading and uploading
> "crap" to the server.

I think "ruinz" had a point but was being way, way too terse. There are some
sites that you are just better of staying away from. My kids actually know
more about this than I do, because they tend to "push the envelope" when it
comes to web sites. A couple of things they know are- stay away from most
mp3 download sites; never visit porn or gambling sites (they're not allowed
of course anyway) and watch out for phony alerts that look like they came
from your computer but are just painted by the site (clicking NO=clicking
YES, as does clicking anywhere on the window- don't put your mouse in it,
just <Alt F4> it! After a while you develop a sixth sense about this stuff.

SpyBot S&D and Spywareblaster both make registry entries to either block or
put into the "Restricted Zone" hundreds of known bad sites. They keep their
list up to date, too.

But there are other ways besides the internet to get spyware. One is actual
program installs (most of these are either cheap or free). An example can be
the "free" DVD player that comes on a lot of DVDs and autostarts an install
(you can opt out). Other example are what common sense would tell you: free
CD-ROMs in cereal boxes and stuff like that.

No matter how much care you take you could get hit anyway so the programs
mentioned in this thread are good to have around.
--
Jim
"Be right back... Godot"

Jim Watt

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:37:10 -0600, ruinz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
>>>software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
>>>something to stop it getting there in the first place.

>> The tools the others referenced will help but the most
>> important prevention method is not to download crap
>> from the internet.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

>Thats got to be the most smart ass answer I've come across here.

<nonsense snipped>

Let me explain that a little bit better as you clearly haven't got a
****ing clue.

I spend hours, cleaning out peoples machines as a result of them
downloading 'toolbars' 'smiley cursors' 'time synchronisers'
and recently 'spyware removers' Someone sends them an executable
file in an email and they run it.

I get paid for this but try and educate the users to prevent it
happening again.

Children learn at an early age that if you see something in the
street, you don't eat it because it might be a dog turd. People
need to learn that the Internet is no different.

If you don't address the issue of user responsibility you are
ignoring the MAIN CAUSE of computer problems my advice
is better than your rabid mindless ranting.

So grow up, wise up and go forth.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Imhotep

gwyn davies wrote:

> My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
> software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
> something to stop it getting there in the first place.

Ditching windows will be the best thing you could possible do. Checkout the
latest Macs or linux/FreeBSD...

Imhotep

gwyn davies wrote:

> My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
> software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
> something to stop it getting there in the first place.

Switch to a Mac...

Patrick Sullivan

Max sux.

news:35PFe.52436$(E-Mail Removed).. .