Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > which ports to open for a Windows VPN

which ports to open for a Windows VPN

DC Gringo

On a small Win2k network protected by Cisco Pix 500 series firewall, I'm
thinking thinking about implementing a temporary Windows VPN solution until
we have our Cisco VPN set up.

What ports in and out ports do I need to open on the firewall?

Also, what are the notable security threats?

_____
DC G

Sean

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:49:12 +0000, DC Gringo wrote:

> On a small Win2k network protected by Cisco Pix 500 series firewall, I'm
> thinking thinking about implementing a temporary Windows VPN solution until
> we have our Cisco VPN set up.
>
> What ports in and out ports do I need to open on the firewall?
>
> Also, what are the notable security threats?
>
> _____
> DC G

Vinny Abello

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:22:38 -0900, Sean <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:49:12 +0000, DC Gringo wrote:
>
>> On a small Win2k network protected by Cisco Pix 500 series firewall, I'm
>> thinking thinking about implementing a temporary Windows VPN solution until
>> we have our Cisco VPN set up.
>>
>> What ports in and out ports do I need to open on the firewall?
>>
>> Also, what are the notable security threats?
>>
>> _____
>> DC G

>1723

Well, if you're talking about PPTP it's 1723 and that's TCP. You also
need to pass GRE otherwise known as protocol 47.

You might be doing IPSec over L2TP though... totally different.

Sean

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:49:45 -0500, Vinny Abello wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:22:38 -0900, Sean <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:49:12 +0000, DC Gringo wrote:
>>
>>> On a small Win2k network protected by Cisco Pix 500 series firewall, I'm
>>> thinking thinking about implementing a temporary Windows VPN solution until
>>> we have our Cisco VPN set up.
>>>
>>> What ports in and out ports do I need to open on the firewall?
>>>
>>> Also, what are the notable security threats?
>>>
>>> _____
>>> DC G

>>1723

> Well, if you're talking about PPTP it's 1723 and that's TCP. You also
> need to pass GRE otherwise known as protocol 47.
>
> You might be doing IPSec over L2TP though... totally different.

True, but if you just want a quick and dirty, hold me over, then just use
pptp. That's what most people use when they think Microsoft VPN.
But you are correct, depending on the solution, you may have to open other
ports/protocols.

koifish24 koifish24 is offline
Junior Member

If you want to connect from the outside to the vpn server, you have to open port 1723, 47, 50, and 500 and all ports can be tcp and udp. This should work if you setup your vpn server with a static ip address.