Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Discussion board abuse

Discussion board abuse

Jim Watt

Some time ago I mentioned here I was getting attempts to flood
a small technical message board I host with messages about
forced gay sex. A bit of filtering stopped that, however the person
has been back promoting loans and gambling so it looks more like
dissruption than promoting a particular interest..

The board software used is a cosmetic rehash of wwwboard and were
I to do it again I'd use something more robust, however it was as
much a learning exercise and has proved so.

The <expletive deleted> party seems to use a variety of IP
addresses, including

148.244.150.58
193.194.84.198
207.248.240.118

I suspect that use of a proxy server is involved unless there is an
algerian.mexican conspiracy against satellite television

Two of the above indicate they are running some Cisco
software.

Thoughts are invited, logs available.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

GregRo

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:40:34 +0200, Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way>
wrote:

>The board software used is a cosmetic rehash of wwwboard and were
>I to do it again I'd use something more robust, however it was as
>much a learning exercise and has proved so.

You might try requiring registration to post. This way if anyone
misbehaves you can ban them or start moderating post if you have the
time.

Greg Ro