Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Simple encryption utility with USB key

Simple encryption utility with USB key

Flyn

Hi all,

I'm looking for a simple encryption utility that achieves the
following:

1)Simple user interface i.e. right click in explorer to encrypt and
decrypt both individual files plus folders,

2)Reasonable security i.e. not required to defeat the FBI but generally
make all else forget trying,

3)Preferably used with a USB data key and PIN i.e. USB device not
fitted or PIN thereof not known will defeat attack.

I had a look at Dekart Secrets Keeper and it looks good except that you
don't appear able to encrypt folders complete.

Any recommendations? All feedback appreciated,

Flyn

Shane Petroff

Flyn wrote:

> Any recommendations?

What do others think of Lexar's JumpDrive Secure? It uses 256bit AES
encryption, so the only real question is the extent to which they can
guard the secret key. The device is divided into public and secure
partitions. Everything on the secure partition is encrypted. If the key
is sufficiently secure, the FBI doesn't have a hope either.

--
Shane

winged

Shane Petroff wrote:
> Flyn wrote:
>

>> Any recommendations?

> What do others think of Lexar's JumpDrive Secure? It uses 256bit AES
> encryption, so the only real question is the extent to which they can
> guard the secret key. The device is divided into public and secure
> partitions. Everything on the secure partition is encrypted. If the key
> is sufficiently secure, the FBI doesn't have a hope either.
>
> --
> Shane

I have used the utility and the drive. The utility is reasonably
secure, though I have never really tried to crack it, but I have had
major reliability issues with the Lexar drives, encrypted or otherwise.
I USB drives on multiple computers on a regular basis daily, and use
them to store certain credentials.

I use several Jump drives with various configurations for boot drives
for configurations where I do not want to boot the system OS. I have
had 3 of the Lexars fail in less than a year of use. This may be
related to losing the dang USB caps on the Lexars though I managed to
preserve one cap (avoid losing it) the life of the drive.

From a reliability perspective I have had remarkable success with the
SANS Disk devices. I was a bit nervous about the slide out USB
connector (figured it would be a failure point), but have not had a
single failure report from a number of people in our organization who
are using them. The one feature I miss that the Lexar Jump drives had
was the write protect slide switch. But the reliability issue more than
makes up for the functionality difference.

For encryption on these devices I use a HDD encryption utility that
encrypts the entire drive just like a regular hard drive though I only
use this on the USB boot drives. I suspect most HDD disk encryption
tools would work in this configuration.

Winged

Flyn

Thanks for feedback to date. Here is an update from my perspective:

I spoke to Dekart and they inform me that they hope to offer Secrets
Keeper with the ability to encrypt complete folders in around 2 months
time. Further to that though I have decided that I really want a
complete drive that is automatically safe. I am now trialling the demo
version of their Private Disk Multifactor which is a software utility
that generates an encrypted disk partition on any PC or data storage
device. It's very simple!! Apparently reliable and very secure.

If you want full details go to the link below but in essence the system
works as follows:

The software allows you to generate a new disk partition of any size
and this is where all of your data goes.

To access the new drive you need to log in by first inserting a
standard USB data key or USB token. The key has previously been used in
the creation of a very, very, long password that is used to encrypt the
data in your drive using strong 256 bit encryption. However, providing
the key is inserted you only need to enter a short PIN number (password
actually) to gain access. (I like that bit!)

If you log out or simply remove the key the drive is instantly no
longer visible or accessible. Put the key back in and enter your PIN
and away you go.

Multiple users of the same laptop could have their own drives and
access.

If the executable of a program is in the users drive then only that
user can access the program.

Data and PIN details can be backed up elsewhere.

It's affordable - $49

It's simple to set up and very simple to use!

Lose the laptop and your data is safe. Lose the USB key and your data
is safe (the long password in the USB key is unreadable without the
PIN). Lose the laptop and USB key together and data is still safe. Lose
the laptop, USB key and PIN written on a piece of paper all together is
STUPID!

If you want more detail go to:

http://www.dekart.com/products/file_...ivate_disk_mf/

Comments invited, especially from anyone who already uses or trialled
this.

Flyn

PS Having re-read the above it looks like I am endorsing the product.
I'm not, I just want to know if it's as good as it says before I commit.