Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Ad-Aware Install

Ad-Aware Install

picky

Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
process, it tells you it's

"Checking for previously installed components."

Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
it's time and having a good long look.

Seemed a bit much for my taste.

They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
program, and call homes to one's heart's content.

Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
that before.

Wolfman's Brother

picky wrote:

> Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
> process, it tells you it's
>
> "Checking for previously installed components."
>
> Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
> it's time and having a good long look.
>
> Seemed a bit much for my taste.
>
> They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
> installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
> program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
>
> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
> that before.

Seems a reasonable approach to me if the software uses common components
that make multiple version support an issue. Or: if they just want to
helpfully suggest that you junk old unsupported code before using the
new shiney version with go-faster stripes and furry dice in the window.

--
http://www.lowth.com/rope
Complex IpTables packet match logic, the easy way.

Nog

<picky> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
> process, it tells you it's
>
> "Checking for previously installed components."
>
> Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
> it's time and having a good long look.
>
> Seemed a bit much for my taste.
>
> They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
> installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
> program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
>
> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
> that before.

Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to uninstall
older versions and end up have multiple versions of the same software and
wonder why they have problems.

Ross

Nog pulled a bright blue crayon out of the box and scribbled this in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> <picky> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]

>> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
>> that before.
>>

> Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to
> uninstall older versions and end up have multiple versions of the same
> software and wonder why they have problems.

I agree that many users are clueless about this, but I primarily blame the
developers who are too lazy to add the small bit of code that would tell an
installer whether a previous version exists and exacly where it is.

R.

--
Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Quaoar

Wolfman's Brother wrote:
> picky wrote:
>
>> Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
>> process, it tells you it's
>>
>> "Checking for previously installed components."
>>
>> Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
>> it's time and having a good long look.
>>
>> Seemed a bit much for my taste.
>>
>> They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
>> installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
>> program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
>>
>> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
>> that before.

> Seems a reasonable approach to me if the software uses common
> components that make multiple version support an issue. Or: if they
> just want to helpfully suggest that you junk old unsupported code
> before using the new shiney version with go-faster stripes and furry
> dice in the window.

I'm waiting for the version with the plastic Jesus for the dashboard of
my car.

Quaoar

Ross wrote:
> Nog pulled a bright blue crayon out of the box and scribbled this in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> <picky> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
>
>>> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation
>>> do that before.
>>>

>> Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to
>> uninstall older versions and end up have multiple versions of the
>> same software and wonder why they have problems.

> I agree that many users are clueless about this, but I primarily
> blame the developers who are too lazy to add the small bit of code
> that would tell an installer whether a previous version exists and
> exacly where it is.
>
> R.

Step 1: find the previous version.

Step 2: validate that what the registry says and validate that the
innumerable dlls have not been overwritten with shared dlls that must be
accommodated for a new install.

Step 3: forward your concerns to Microsoft who, singlehandedly invented
this bizarre OS.

Tetractys

Quaoar wroted:

> I'm waiting for the version
> with the plastic Jesus
> for the dashboard of my car.

Do you care if it rains or freezes?

picky

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:40:31 -0400, "Nog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><picky> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
>> process, it tells you it's
>>
>> "Checking for previously installed components."
>>
>> Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
>> it's time and having a good long look.
>>
>> Seemed a bit much for my taste.
>>
>> They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
>> installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
>> program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
>>
>> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
>> that before.
>>

>Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to uninstall
>older versions and end up have multiple versions of the same software and
>wonder why they have problems.

Well, I could see that for drives C: and D:, but when they scan C:\
through P:\ I start to wonder.