Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Security can be fun !

Security can be fun !

Panrock

www.copycoder.com

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42c16833$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Panrock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>www.copycoder.com

It's essentially a stream cipher. And the stupid thing about it is,
every message is enciphered with the same stream! This leads to the
well-known weakness where if you can get hold of two encrypted messages,
you can XOR them and get some clues to the messages, and thereby to the
cipher as well.

Skycloud

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <42c16833$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Panrock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >www.copycoder.com

> It's essentially a stream cipher. And the stupid thing about it is,
> every message is enciphered with the same stream! This leads to the
> well-known weakness where if you can get hold of two encrypted messages,
> you can XOR them and get some clues to the messages, and thereby to the
> cipher as well.

Two things to bear in mind:

1) I don't claim this to be a serious encryption device. It's just a _toy_
for spy-minded kids.

2) Re: the single key, these little panels will be spread around so thinly
for the forseeable future that more than two people at a time are unlikely
ever to use one together. And if they do, then they'll form a sort of
copycoder 'club'... i.e, it's a game for children and teens.

Steve

PS. There was a prototype also developed using variable key codes
(hexagonal, rotatable segements containing binary-numbered element
combinations) but there was no point - software encryption is so much
better. I expect this simple version to be more successful in the market
it's intended for...

www.copycoder.com
www.radiocraft.co.uk

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Skycloud" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <42c16833$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Panrock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >www.copycoder.com

>> It's essentially a stream cipher. And the stupid thing about it is,
>> every message is enciphered with the same stream! This leads to the
>> well-known weakness where if you can get hold of two encrypted messages,
>> you can XOR them and get some clues to the messages, and thereby to the
>> cipher as well.

>1) I don't claim this to be a serious encryption device. It's just a _toy_
>for spy-minded kids.

Won't the spy-minded kids have more fun doing this sort of thing on the
computer?