Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Running a computer as "user" vs "administrator" prevent adware from being installed

Running a computer as "user" vs "administrator" prevent adware from being installed

parabh_sleth

Will running a computer as a "user" vs "administrator" prevent adwar
from
being installed?

Thank

--
parabh_slet
parabh_sleth's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=364

Dazz

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 04:01:30 +0530, parabh_sleth
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Will running a computer as a "user" vs "administrator" prevent adware
>from
>being installed?

No, but it's a good start.

Practising safe computing and using a bit of common sense will help
though.

Dazz

>Thanks

Wolf Halton

Of course running a pc as administrator is a poor security choice, as
administrator has access to everything in your operating system and a
piece of malware running on administrator has all admin rights, too.

You are much safer if you run a software firewall and learn to use it.
Then, if a piece of software that you don't recognise attempts to access
the network, you are warned and can say "deny".

This protects you from laptops that are only occasionally plugged into
your network, as even a perimeter firewall will not do.

Wolf