Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Strange Network happenings

Reply
Thread Tools

Strange Network happenings

 
 
Toja
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2005
I have a small network of 2 computers, which are connected to a Siemens
Speedstream router, which is connected to a DSL modem.

Computer 1 is running limewire.
Computer 2 is mine.

When computer 1 is running limewire, my computer (2) gets tons of blocked
traffic on port 137. Why would it be doing this does anyone know about some
kind of hack with limewire that will attack other computers on the network?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toja
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2005

"Toja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dRHte.252$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have a small network of 2 computers, which are connected to a Siemens
> Speedstream router, which is connected to a DSL modem.
>
> Computer 1 is running limewire.
> Computer 2 is mine.
>
> When computer 1 is running limewire, my computer (2) gets tons of blocked
> traffic on port 137.


That is the traffic is coming from Computer1

>Why would it be doing this does anyone know about some
> kind of hack with limewire that will attack other computers on the

network?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Unruh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2005
"Toja" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I have a small network of 2 computers, which are connected to a Siemens
>Speedstream router, which is connected to a DSL modem.


>Computer 1 is running limewire.
>Computer 2 is mine.


>When computer 1 is running limewire, my computer (2) gets tons of blocked
>traffic on port 137. Why would it be doing this does anyone know about some
>kind of hack with limewire that will attack other computers on the network?


137 is netbios name service. Probably computer 1 is asking for netbios
names.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toja
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2005

>
> 137 is netbios name service. Probably computer 1 is asking for netbios
> names.
>
>


I dont understand why is it sending these requests to my computer? I'm
getting hundreds of "occurences" all from computer 1 and only when Limewire
is running.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toja
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2005

> I dont understand why is it sending these requests >to my computer? I'm
> getting hundreds of "occurences" all from computer >1 and only when

Limewire
> is running.
>
>


Also, is all this blocked traffic affecting my bandwidth? thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange Happenings dwacon Computer Support 1 05-03-2005 03:20 AM
Strange happenings... cannot delete when program WAS using it but not IS Atreju Computer Support 4 11-26-2004 04:11 PM
Strange Happenings d w a c o n Computer Support 6 02-22-2004 11:12 PM
Strange Explorer happenings Cuzman Computer Support 2 08-01-2003 03:02 AM
Strange happenings in explorer Cuzman Computer Support 1 07-19-2003 10:21 PM



Advertisments