Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Help!! Constant connection to Microsoft I cannot block.

Help!! Constant connection to Microsoft I cannot block.

James

Hi,
All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
services.
If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
the Internet.
Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
Virus or just normal ??
Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

Thanks and Regards
James

Michael J. Pelletier

James wrote:

> Hi,
> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
> services.
> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
> the Internet.
> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
> Virus or just normal ??
> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.
>

> Thanks and Regards
> James

Do you have "illegal" music on your pc? Do you use Windows Media Player?
Could be Microsoft "spyware"....

Michael

Arthur T.

In Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed)>,
James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
>the Internet.

I'd suspect that something inserted itself as a proxy. Check
your proxy settings.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" speakeasy "dot" net
Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

Max Burke

James scribbled:

> Hi,
> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
> services.

FYI:

What is svchost.exe? Is svchost.exe spyware or a virus?
Process name: Host Process for Services

Product: Windows

Company: Microsoft

File: svchost.exe

Security Rating:
"Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral part
of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit
DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion
of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. In
normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time.
Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that
separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is
started. This allows for better control and debugging. More info More info

Press CNTRL ALT DEL (together) to start task manager and check out how many
of the above processes are running even when you're not connected to the
internet.

However Several worms and viruse's hide/rename themselves as an svchost.exe
file...

Google is your friend.

Several firewalls (zone alarm for one) will complain about the above
services; You need to allow the services to connect to the internet in your
firewall.

> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
> the Internet.

Because you're blocking the above services that are used by XP to connect to
the internet.

> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
> Virus or just normal ??
> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

As to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com that is a non existent website;
How do you know that your computer is [constantly] giving info to any
Microsoft website? (let alone the one you list)

Pinging the above website (http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com) says no
such website exists; Same when running trace route.

Windows Socket Error:
The function 'WSAAsyncGetHostByName' returned error 11004 (WSANO_DATA: Valid
name, no data record of requested type)

Found Images

James

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:56:57 -0700, "Michael J. Pelletier"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>James wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
>> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
>> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
>> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
>> services.
>> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
>> the Internet.
>> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
>> Virus or just normal ??
>> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.
>>

>> Thanks and Regards
>> James

>Do you have "illegal" music on your pc? Do you use Windows Media Player?
>Could be Microsoft "spyware"....
>
>Michael

No Illegal Music and I use WMP 9

URL should read http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/<string
of numbers and letters>/Install_MSN_Messenger.exe.

I do not have MSN Messenger on my machine only Windows Messenger
Thanks and Regards
James

Michael J. Pelletier

Max Burke wrote:

> James scribbled:
>
>> Hi,
>> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
>> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
>> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
>> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
>> services.

> FYI:
>
> What is svchost.exe? Is svchost.exe spyware or a virus?

> Process name: Host Process for Services
>
> Product: Windows
>
> Company: Microsoft
>
> File: svchost.exe
>
> Security Rating:
> "Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral
> part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages
> 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the
> services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it
> needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run
> at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of
> services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where
> Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging. More
> info More info
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314056
>
> Press CNTRL ALT DEL (together) to start task manager and check out how
> many of the above processes are running even when you're not connected to
> the internet.
>
> However Several worms and viruse's hide/rename themselves as an
> svchost.exe file...
>
> Google is your friend.
>
> Several firewalls (zone alarm for one) will complain about the above
> services; You need to allow the services to connect to the internet in
> your firewall.
>
>> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
>> the Internet.

> Because you're blocking the above services that are used by XP to connect
> to the internet.
>
>> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
>> Virus or just normal ??
>> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

> As to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com that is a non existent website;
> How do you know that your computer is [constantly] giving info to any
> Microsoft website? (let alone the one you list)
>
> Pinging the above website (http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com) says no
> such website exists; Same when running trace route.
>
> Windows Socket Error:
> The function 'WSAAsyncGetHostByName' returned error 11004 (WSANO_DATA:
> Valid name, no data record of requested type)

I believe this is the binary that handles sockets (network connections) for
you in Windows...

Michael

Michael J. Pelletier

Michael J. Pelletier wrote:

> Max Burke wrote:
>
>> James scribbled:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
>>> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
>>> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
>>> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
>>> services.

>> FYI:
>>
>> What is svchost.exe? Is svchost.exe spyware or a virus?

>> Process name: Host Process for Services
>>
>> Product: Windows
>>
>> Company: Microsoft
>>
>> File: svchost.exe
>>
>> Security Rating:
>> "Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral
>> part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It
>> manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks
>> the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that
>> it needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe
>> run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of
>> services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where
>> Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.
>> More info More info
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314056
>>
>> Press CNTRL ALT DEL (together) to start task manager and check out how
>> many of the above processes are running even when you're not connected to
>> the internet.
>>
>> However Several worms and viruse's hide/rename themselves as an
>> svchost.exe file...
>>
>> Google is your friend.
>>
>> Several firewalls (zone alarm for one) will complain about the above
>> services; You need to allow the services to connect to the internet in
>> your firewall.
>>
>>> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
>>> the Internet.

>> Because you're blocking the above services that are used by XP to connect
>> to the internet.
>>
>>> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
>>> Virus or just normal ??
>>> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

>> As to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com that is a non existent website;
>> How do you know that your computer is [constantly] giving info to any
>> Microsoft website? (let alone the one you list)
>>
>> Pinging the above website (http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com) says no
>> such website exists; Same when running trace route.
>>
>> Windows Socket Error:
>> The function 'WSAAsyncGetHostByName' returned error 11004 (WSANO_DATA:
>> Valid name, no data record of requested type)
>>

> I believe this is the binary that handles sockets (network connections)
> for you in Windows...
>
> Michael

P.S. this is also the binary that manyviruses like to take over...

-Michael