Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Strange entries in address book

Strange entries in address book

Rusty

Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These are
normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this as myself and
are not spoof addresses from spam.

I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
regularly and nothing wrong shows up.

rusty

Yddap

In news:d8jbcb$s2h$(E-Mail Removed),
Rusty <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
> Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
> entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
> are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
> as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
>
> I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
> regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
>
> rusty

Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book" ?

Most common reason
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

andy smart

Yddap wrote:
> In news:d8jbcb$s2h$(E-Mail Removed),
> Rusty <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
>
>>Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
>>entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
>>are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
>>as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
>>
>>I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
>>regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
>>
>>rusty

> Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
> have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book" ?
>
> Most common reason

How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

Chris Salter

andy smart wrote:

> How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

I don't know you, yet I'm replying to you.

Chris

andy smart

Chris Salter wrote:
> andy smart wrote:
>
>> How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

> I don't know you, yet I'm replying to you.
>
> Chris

LOL
Actually no, you're replying to alt.computer.security.

My interpretation was that the OP had names in his address book which he
had no knowlege of ever having contacted by email.

Andrew Wood

Could the entries have been made if he clicked "Reply to All" and these
addresses were Cc or Bcc on the original with the "Add addresses..."
option selected in Outlook?

Rusty wrote:
> Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
> entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These are
> normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this as myself and
> are not spoof addresses from spam.
>
> I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
> regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
>
> rusty

Rusty

"andy smart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d8k1tk$hdl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yddap wrote:
>> In news:d8jbcb$s2h$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Rusty <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
>>
>>>Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
>>>entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
>>>are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
>>>as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
>>>
>>>I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
>>>regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
>>>
>>>rusty

>> Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
>> have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book"
>> ?
>>
>> Most common reason

> How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

That was enabled as a couple of people have worked out. It is now unset.
Many thanks

The reason I found out, which is not so simple, was that the name shown by
O.E. when you paste into the addressee box is potentially totally different
from the name in the email address which it links to. So I tried to send an
email to colleague first name "xyz", but the associated email address was
someone in New Zealand who I don't but has the same first name. Then I
checked the rest of the address book entries and found another four or five
other people I have no knowledge of. My own "xyz" was listed by surname as
it happens which fact I had forgotten over the space of a couple of months.

So I still have no idea how the New Zealand person got there and neither
does she.

rusty

Chris Salter

andy smart wrote:

> LOL
> Actually no, you're replying to alt.computer.security.
>
> My interpretation was that the OP had names in his address book which he
> had no knowlege of ever having contacted by email.

What an odd name!

I think the 2nd poster was suggesting that the "Automatic put people"
option can have side effects. ie. replying to newsgroups, replying to
alls etc. I haven't used OE in ages so can't comment.

--
Chris Salter

BillieBaby

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:32:36 +0100, andy smart
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yddap wrote:
>> In news:d8jbcb$s2h$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Rusty <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
>>
>>>Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
>>>entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
>>>are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
>>>as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
>>>
>>>I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
>>>regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
>>>
>>>rusty

>> Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
>> have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book" ?
>>
>> Most common reason

>How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

.....by clicking on "reply all" in an e-mail. Been there....done that.
HTH