Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Zone alarm affected

Zone alarm affected

Gualtier Malde (Chuck)

Some time ago I found my Zone Alarm set to allow server status to all
programs and I was unable to change it to anything else. I believe that
this newsgroup suggested the possibility of malware and told me to get
Ad-Aware, which I did, and on the first scan some malware was found and
when it was eliminated I was OK again.

Now it's happened again, in spite of Ad-Aware pro screening, and a scan
did not find any malware.

Any ideas? If there is a better newsgroup, I'd appreciate knowing where
to go.

Thanks

Alexander Menzel

Hi,

did you run AdAware in safe mode with an admin account?
have you tried to run HijackThis? Maybe there are some entries that should
be fixed. You should run Spybot and even bitdefender, also in safe mode.
If you still have problems, I'd rather suggest to uninstall Zonealarm and
get a router with NAT. Otherwise there's a big chance that your system is
compromised and you probably need to format your drives and reinstall a
clean system.

Hope it helps.

Cheers..

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Now it's happened again, in spite of Ad-Aware pro screening, and a scan
: did not find any malware.
:
: Any ideas? If there is a better newsgroup, I'd appreciate knowing where
: to go.
:
: Thanks
:
:

DANG

"Gualtier Malde (Chuck)" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some time ago I found my Zone Alarm set to allow server status to all
> programs and I was unable to change it to anything else. I believe that
> this newsgroup suggested the possibility of malware and told me to get
> Ad-Aware, which I did, and on the first scan some malware was found and
> when it was eliminated I was OK again.
>
> Now it's happened again, in spite of Ad-Aware pro screening, and a scan
> did not find any malware.
>
> Any ideas? If there is a better newsgroup, I'd appreciate knowing where
> to go.

Just a suggestion but you could disconnect your cable and go offline while
you uninstall ZA and then reinstall it... this time set it to ask permission
for everything. Never set it to always allow server status for all apps IMO!
Then go back online and get hold of Spybot Search and Destroy (a free
utility that I have found much more useful than the previously very
dependable Adaware).
That should remedy your current predicament. As for NG's, this one and
alt.comp.anti-virus are probably the best two groups for information
regarding online difficulties.
HTH
DANG

Gualtier Malde (Chuck)

Alexander Menzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> did you run AdAware in safe mode with an admin account?
> have you tried to run HijackThis? Maybe there are some entries that should
> be fixed. You should run Spybot and even bitdefender, also in safe mode.
> If you still have problems, I'd rather suggest to uninstall Zonealarm and
> get a router with NAT. Otherwise there's a big chance that your system is
> compromised and you probably need to format your drives and reinstall a
> clean system.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Cheers..

I generally run Ad-Aware in Windows 2000, regular mode, but with an
admin account. I have the companion Ad-Watch and though AW has picked
up a couple of tracking cookies, repeated AA scans reveal no serious junk.

I got Hijack This some time ago and ran it a few times and had no idea
what do do with the data it produced, I'm that untutored in the art.
Then, one day, I opened the containing folder and AVG Pro fingered
Hijack This as containing a virus. I forget the name.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled ZA and it's working, but nothing else
seems to be amiss. I'll keep a close watch before wiping everything and
starting over, because that would be terribly inconvenient. Besides,
I'd restore from a clone anyway - wouldn't I just restore the problem?
No way am I going to start from tabula rasa.

Thanks.

DavidPostill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, on Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:07:58 -0700, Gualtier Malde
(Chuck) wrote:

[]

| I got Hijack This some time ago and ran it a few times and had no idea
| what do do with the data it produced, I'm that untutored in the art.

HijackThis Log Tutorial

http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.php

HijackThis Logfile Analysis

http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective
http://www.hijackthis.de/en
http://hjt.iamnotageek.com
--
DavidPostill

Gualtier Malde (Chuck)

DavidPostill wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, on Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:07:58 -0700, Gualtier Malde
> (Chuck) wrote:
>
> []
>
> | I got Hijack This some time ago and ran it a few times and had no idea
> | what do do with the data it produced, I'm that untutored in the art.
>
> HijackThis Log Tutorial
>
> http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.php
>
> HijackThis Logfile Analysis
>
> http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective
> http://www.hijackthis.de/en
> http://hjt.iamnotageek.com

Excellent! Thank you. I had been at the point of asking about help
like this when AVG seemed to find a virus associated with Hijack This
that I'd had on the computer for some time. I'll go get it again now
that I actually will be able to use it.

Gualtier Malde (Chuck)

DANG wrote:

> "Gualtier Malde (Chuck)" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Some time ago I found my Zone Alarm set to allow server status to all
>>programs and I was unable to change it to anything else. I believe that
>>this newsgroup suggested the possibility of malware and told me to get
>>Ad-Aware, which I did, and on the first scan some malware was found and
>>when it was eliminated I was OK again.
>>
>>Now it's happened again, in spite of Ad-Aware pro screening, and a scan
>>did not find any malware.
>>
>>Any ideas? If there is a better newsgroup, I'd appreciate knowing where
>>to go.

> Just a suggestion but you could disconnect your cable and go offline while
> you uninstall ZA and then reinstall it... this time set it to ask permission
> for everything. Never set it to always allow server status for all apps IMO!
> Then go back online and get hold of Spybot Search and Destroy (a free
> utility that I have found much more useful than the previously very
> dependable Adaware).
> That should remedy your current predicament. As for NG's, this one and
> alt.comp.anti-virus are probably the best two groups for information
> regarding online difficulties.
> HTH
> DANG

Thank you. I thought this might be the case but was not confident. Now
I am.
Chuck