Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > computer probing it's own ports

computer probing it's own ports

Sowthwest Texan

When I'm connected to the Internet via dial up this computer probes
the ports on this computer using the P.P.P. - I.P. address causing
the firewall to show a HIGH RISK that a remote system is attempting
to access my computer. Can someone tell me why it's doing this and
tell me how to make it stop?

GiveItUp

KINKY!!

cyber self-abuse!

"Sowthwest Texan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1118268806.bf43314b352b6f01d298b589e49bd859@t eranews...
> When I'm connected to the Internet via dial up this computer probes
> the ports on this computer using the P.P.P. - I.P. address causing
> the firewall to show a HIGH RISK that a remote system is attempting
> to access my computer. Can someone tell me why it's doing this and
> tell me how to make it stop?

Winged

Sowthwest Texan wrote:
> When I'm connected to the Internet via dial up this computer probes
> the ports on this computer using the P.P.P. - I.P. address causing
> the firewall to show a HIGH RISK that a remote system is attempting
> to access my computer. Can someone tell me why it's doing this and
> tell me how to make it stop?

Try adding your DHCP server to your trusted sites in the firewall. You
will want to restrict port to 68. Just a guess. You will also need to
ensure your DNS port 53 is exposed to your DNS server. Some Firewalls
have and application scan function (Symantec, Mcafee, Zone alarm)) that
will scan your system to determine what ports are required to be opened
for various applications (Note if you do this, be sure you review what
it finds and identify what the application is that want to communicate
and why you want to allow it to communicate). Some firewalls make you
do this explicitly. Without knowing which firewall you are using, it is
difficult to provide clearer direction.

Winged

Moe Trin

In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<ea214$42a7b5a2$18d6d929$(E-Mail Removed)>, Winged wrote:

>Sowthwest Texan wrote:

> When I'm connected to the Internet via dial up this computer probes

^^^^^^^^^^^
>> the ports on this computer using the P.P.P. - I.P. address

^^^^^^

>Try adding your DHCP server to your trusted sites in the firewall.

1661 The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP). W. Simpson, Ed.. July 1994.
(Format: TXT=103026 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC154 (Updated by RFC2153)
(Also STD0051) (Status: STANDARD)

1332 The PPP Internet Protocol Control Protocol (IPCP). G. McGregor.
May 1992. (Format: TXT=17613 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC1172) (Updated by
RFC3241) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)

ppp has never used the DHCP protocol. Addresses are set using IPCP only,
because the protocols are quite different in concept. On Ethernet, your
DHCP _client_ requests an address assignment from a DHCP/BOOTP _server_
and that server assigns an address to you - take it or else.

ppp is a peer-to-peer protocol, and addresses are determined by one peer
asking if it's OK to use "this" address, and the other peer either
approving, disapproving, or disapproving but suggesting to ask for "that"
address instead. ppp service such as address negotiations don't use ports,
because there isn't an IP connection to carry such protocols as TCP or UDP
(which do use ports).

>You will also need to ensure your DNS port 53 is exposed to your DNS server.

Port 53 is used on the server - the client uses a random port number at or
above 1024. On a dialup, there is almost no reason to have any port
below 1024 open inbound, as there should be nothing running on those
ports on the dialin computer. A possible exception is port 113 (ident
see RFC1413) which is required by some mail (POP) servers and some chat
rooms.

Old guy

Winged

Moe Trin wrote:
> In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
> <ea214$42a7b5a2$18d6d929$(E-Mail Removed)>, Winged wrote:
>

>>Sowthwest Texan wrote:

>>When I'm connected to the Internet via dial up this computer probes

> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>>the ports on this computer using the P.P.P. - I.P. address

> ^^^^^^
>

>>Try adding your DHCP server to your trusted sites in the firewall.

> 1661 The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP). W. Simpson, Ed.. July 1994.
> (Format: TXT=103026 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC154 (Updated by RFC2153)
> (Also STD0051) (Status: STANDARD)
>
> 1332 The PPP Internet Protocol Control Protocol (IPCP). G. McGregor.
> May 1992. (Format: TXT=17613 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC1172) (Updated by
> RFC3241) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
>
> ppp has never used the DHCP protocol. Addresses are set using IPCP only,
> because the protocols are quite different in concept. On Ethernet, your
> DHCP _client_ requests an address assignment from a DHCP/BOOTP _server_
> and that server assigns an address to you - take it or else.
>
> ppp is a peer-to-peer protocol, and addresses are determined by one peer
> asking if it's OK to use "this" address, and the other peer either
> approving, disapproving, or disapproving but suggesting to ask for "that"
> address instead. ppp service such as address negotiations don't use ports,
> because there isn't an IP connection to carry such protocols as TCP or UDP
> (which do use ports).
>

>>You will also need to ensure your DNS port 53 is exposed to your DNS server.

> Port 53 is used on the server - the client uses a random port number at or
> above 1024. On a dialup, there is almost no reason to have any port
> below 1024 open inbound, as there should be nothing running on those
> ports on the dialin computer. A possible exception is port 113 (ident
> see RFC1413) which is required by some mail (POP) servers and some chat
> rooms.
>
> Old guy

Ok I goofed again...

<548f3$42a8d6d5$18d6d929$(E-Mail Removed)>, Winged wrote:
>Moe Trin wrote:

>> ppp has never used the DHCP protocol. Addresses are set using IPCP only,
>> because the protocols are quite different in concept.

Given the wide spread use of ppp, it's amazing that help desk staff don't
even know the difference.

>> On a dialup, there is almost no reason to have any port below 1024 open
>> inbound, as there should be nothing running on those ports on the dialin
>> computer.

>Ok I goofed again...

Didn't mean to sound harsh - sorry.

Old guy