Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Anti-span program?

Anti-span program?

Louise

I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.

Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
use.

I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
download updates every night.

Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
recommended?

TIA

Louise

Ken Russell

Qurb is excellent if you don't mind working with only a white list. It
accepts e-mails from approved senders only and quarantines everything else.
You can review the quarantine folder and approve e-mails from new senders
that you approve.

It's not suitable if you get a lot of authentic e-mails from new senders.
http://www.qurb.com/

--
Ken Russell

Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
..

"Louise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
> until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
>
> Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
> loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
> use.
>
> I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
> that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
> download updates every night.
>
> Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
> recommended?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

NonDisputandum.com

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:51:46 -0400, Louise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
>until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
>
>Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
>loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
>use.
>
>I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
>that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
>download updates every night.
>
>Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
>recommended?
>
>TIA
>
>Louise

Yes, Spambayes or Spamihilator
read more trustworthy alternatives:
http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_spam.html
at the time I use Spambayes, and it does a good job.
greetings

--
www.nondisputandum.com - soft reviews:
freeware to Protect & Clean your PC

Andrew Wood

SpamPal: www.spampal.us

NonDisputandum.com wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:51:46 -0400, Louise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
>>until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
>>
>>Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
>>loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
>>use.
>>
>>I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
>>that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
>>download updates every night.
>>
>>Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
>>recommended?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Louise

> Yes, Spambayes or Spamihilator
> read more trustworthy alternatives:
> http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_spam.html
> at the time I use Spambayes, and it does a good job.
> greetings

Vanguard

"Andrew Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dccee$42a58146$97d576a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SpamPal: www.spampal.us

That is a mirror site with some differences in content. The SpamPal
home site is at http://www.spampal.org.

lee

Louise wrote:
> I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
> until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
>
> Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
> loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
> use.
>
> I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
> that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
> download updates every night.
>
> Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
> recommended?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

There is a freeware version of Trend's Anti-Spam product for Outlook,
which I use because I am required to use Outlook for work email
purposes. I find it's really quite good at sorting out spam from
legitimate email and is easy to configure. Of course, I generally run
Mailwasher Pro first, since that's the fastest and best way to make sure
nothing reaches my mailbox unless it's legitimate.

Louise

In article <sjjpe.3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Louise wrote:
> > I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
> > until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
> >
> > Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
> > loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
> > use.
> >
> > I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
> > that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
> > download updates every night.
> >
> > Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
> > recommended?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise

> There is a freeware version of Trend's Anti-Spam product for Outlook,
> which I use because I am required to use Outlook for work email
> purposes. I find it's really quite good at sorting out spam from
> legitimate email and is easy to configure. Of course, I generally run
> Mailwasher Pro first, since that's the fastest and best way to make sure
> nothing reaches my mailbox unless it's legitimate.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the simplicity of Trend's Spam Pilot
and the fact that I don't have to train it much at all. It just went
through my Outlook inbox pretty accurately.

My only "issue" is that Outlook takes about 20 seconds to close with
Spam Pilot running. Since I have 4 user accounts, I have to wait 20+
seconds after closing one account before I can open another.

If I don't wait, outlook is still running and therefore brings up the
same user again.

Do you have this "problem"?

Louise

Alceryes

> Qurb is excellent if you don't mind working with only a white list. It
> accepts e-mails from approved senders only and quarantines everything
> else. You can review the quarantine folder and approve e-mails from new
> senders that you approve.

Outlook XP has this functionality built in.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"Ken Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42a5342d$0$10698$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Qurb is excellent if you don't mind working with only a white list. It
> accepts e-mails from approved senders only and quarantines everything
> else. You can review the quarantine folder and approve e-mails from new
> senders that you approve.
>
> It's not suitable if you get a lot of authentic e-mails from new senders.
> http://www.qurb.com/
>
> --
> Ken Russell
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
> .
>
> "Louise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
>> until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
>>
>> Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
>> loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
>> use.
>>
>> I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
>> that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
>> download updates every night.
>>
>> Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
>> recommended?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Louise

Alceryes

I 3rd the Spam-pal suggestion. I used it on a clients system and it worked
great.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"Louise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
> until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
>
> Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
> loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
> use.
>
> I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
> that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
> download updates every night.
>
> Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
> recommended?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

Louise

In article <sjjpe.3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Louise wrote:
> > I've avoided using any spam filters beside my own scanning of emails
> > until now. I'm running Outlook XP with several separate user accounts.
> >
> > Now it is taking me 15 minutes to clean out an email account which I'm
> > loathe to close because it is associated with many services that I do
> > use.
> >
> > I'm aware that Norton has an anti-spam program but I'm also concerned
> > that Norton tends to use a lot of resources etc. I do use Norton AV and
> > download updates every night.
> >
> > Are there any spam filtering programs out there that would be
> > recommended?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise

> There is a freeware version of Trend's Anti-Spam product for Outlook,
> which I use because I am required to use Outlook for work email
> purposes. I find it's really quite good at sorting out spam from
> legitimate email and is easy to configure. Of course, I generally run
> Mailwasher Pro first, since that's the fastest and best way to make sure
> nothing reaches my mailbox unless it's legitimate.

Thanks so much. The Trend Micro program is just what I'm looking for
and I agree that it does a very good job of finding only the spam mail.

It did find one false positive and I've used it on approximately 100
emails so far. Yes, it misses some spam, but very few, and that's no
big deal.

I really like not having to teach and configure something beyond just
telling it to let certain senders through.

Louise