Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Tracing peer to peer user.

Tracing peer to peer user.

Unruh

"Murray R. Van Luyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Hi,

>I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
>software in breach of copyright.

>I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe the
>ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail address so
>that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network.

>Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

That is what the RIAA and Movie Association want too. They have gone to
court in many countries to try to get it. In many they were told to get
lost. In some the courts were compliant and forced the ISP to reveal the
person.
You will have to get a court order and then possibly run a lawsuit against
the ISP to get the name, etc.
While I understand your concern, I hope you fail.
There should be some degree of anonymity on a network.

Tommy

Murray R. Van Luyn

Hi,

I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
software in breach of copyright.

I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe the
ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail address so
that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network.

Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn.

Tommy

Unruh wrote:

> "Murray R. Van Luyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>Hi,

>>I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
>>software in breach of copyright.

>>I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe
>>the ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail
>>address so that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a
>>network.

>>Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

> That is what the RIAA and Movie Association want too. They have gone to
> court in many countries to try to get it. In many they were told to get
> lost. In some the courts were compliant and forced the ISP to reveal the
> person.
> You will have to get a court order and then possibly run a lawsuit against
> the ISP to get the name, etc.
> While I understand your concern, I hope you fail.
> There should be some degree of anonymity on a network.

He would have to go that route if he wanted to sue the guy in a court of
law.

Sounds like he just wants to warn the guy. Dsniff, would sniff the network -
as soon as they guy goes to check his e-mail BAM! There comes his email
addy. Send the guy an e-mail and say: get off my network, that alone should
throw the guy for a loop - He's going to be wondering how in the heck you
got an e-mail addy from an IP. Not to mention his password.

Murray R. Van Luyn

Hi Unruh,

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure that I won't get anywhere if I approach the
ISP and ask them for the username. I don't really want to run a lawsuit
against someone who isn't the culprit, and who's living depends upon the
illusion of unaccountability.

I sort of feel that the RIAA at least will ultimately just have to accept
that the world has changed, and that they will have to figure out a new way
to earn other people's fortunes. I used to work in an industry that has been
completely replaced by the introduction of XBOXes and the like. I got over
it.

I'm in two minds regarding network anonymity, and anonymity in the wider
context. Sure I don't want buckets of SPAM every time I visit the wrong
website, but there again I have undeservedly been at the wrong end of an
out-of-control policeman's badge number. How many times have we been given
the forks in traffic and wondered if it wouldn't be a more polite world with
name and address plates on vehicles instead of license numbers.

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn. (<- makes me nervous <- makes me careful.)

Physics is Phun!

"Unruh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7gfep$473$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Murray R. Van Luyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >Hi,

> >I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
> >software in breach of copyright.

> >I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe

the
> >ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail address

so
> >that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network.

> >Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

> That is what the RIAA and Movie Association want too. They have gone to
> court in many countries to try to get it. In many they were told to get
> lost. In some the courts were compliant and forced the ISP to reveal the
> person.
> You will have to get a court order and then possibly run a lawsuit against
> the ISP to get the name, etc.
> While I understand your concern, I hope you fail.
> There should be some degree of anonymity on a network.

Murray R. Van Luyn

Hi Tommy,

Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake this
guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to help me do
it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it, but I've got
that coming up.

Oh, so you can post to newsgroups anonymously. Very clever.

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn.

"Tommy" <127.0.0.1@127.0.01> wrote in message

Tommy

Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:

> Hi Tommy,
>
> Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake
> this guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to
> help me do it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it,
> but I've got that coming up.

You really shouldn't have any problems with it. (If so, just post back)
Dsniff also comes with arpspoof: You can redirect the packets on a network
through your computer, sniff 'em and the rest is, uh, up to you. Lol.

> Oh, so you can post to newsgroups anonymously. Very clever.
>
> Regards,
> Murray R. Van Luyn.
>
> "Tommy" <127.0.0.1@127.0.01> wrote in message

Arthur T.

In
"Murray R. Van Luyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake this
>guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to help me do
>it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it, but I've got
>that coming up.

There's another technique that may not take so much time, if
it works.

Call the guy's ISP and explain the situation. Then politely
*ask* them to send an e-mail to the guy on your behalf. The ISP
will not be breaching any privacy, because they won't be giving
you his edress or name. Be sure you can back up your copyright
claim and his breach of it.

I have no idea what the chances of it working are, but it
might be worth a phone call. The calmer you stay and the more you
explain that you're trying very hard to avoid a lawsuit, the
greater the chance of them complying.

(Standard disclaimers apply, including IANAL & YMMV.)

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" speakeasy "dot" net
Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

Hank Sniadoch

Arthur T. wrote:
> In
> "Murray R. Van Luyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake this
>>guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to help me do
>>it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it, but I've got
>>that coming up.

> There's another technique that may not take so much time, if
> it works.
>
> Call the guy's ISP and explain the situation. Then politely
> *ask* them to send an e-mail to the guy on your behalf. The ISP
> will not be breaching any privacy, because they won't be giving
> you his edress or name. Be sure you can back up your copyright
> claim and his breach of it.
>
> I have no idea what the chances of it working are, but it
> might be worth a phone call. The calmer you stay and the more you
> explain that you're trying very hard to avoid a lawsuit, the
> greater the chance of them complying.
>
> (Standard disclaimers apply, including IANAL & YMMV.)

I don't want to spend any of MY time calling the guys ISP .....

Murray R. Van Luyn

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for offering to help with dsniff. If I get stuck I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the link to dsniff. I will be careful how it gets used.