Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Does anyone recognize this?

Does anyone recognize this?

pokee@shaw.ca

I just reformatted my hard drive - so my PC is ultra-clean.

BUT - now when I start up my PC, after my wireless network connection
is established, my internet explorer starts up and tries to connect to
this website (with no luck I might add):

http://www.freewebs.com/jodaaa/happy.html

There is nothing in Startup to cause this (all that is in my startup is
Norton Internet Security, Antivirus, and Wireless Network Utility).

Can anyone guess what may be happening here? It's not affecting
anything on my PC, so I am not too worried. It's just ****ing me off!

Thanks!
Paula

Winged

> I just reformatted my hard drive - so my PC is ultra-clean.
>
> BUT - now when I start up my PC, after my wireless network connection
> is established, my internet explorer starts up and tries to connect to
> this website (with no luck I might add):
>
> http://www.freewebs.com/jodaaa/happy.html
>
> There is nothing in Startup to cause this (all that is in my startup is
> Norton Internet Security, Antivirus, and Wireless Network Utility).
>
> Can anyone guess what may be happening here? It's not affecting
> anything on my PC, so I am not too worried. It's just ****ing me off!
>
> Thanks!
> Paula

I have to question what software you reloaded that recompromised the
machine. I suspect it is some innocent game you downloaded from the
web. I would suspect anything I downloaded about the time the issues
started.

Winged

pokee@shaw.ca

I just connected to the net to download updates to my Norton Internet
Security/Antivirus software - and that's when the problem started.

I've just run adaware and spybot, re-scanned my PC for viruses, and the

problem still exists.

I have a feeling I am just going to have to re-format again - for the
millionth time. Dell tells me that this could reduce the life of my
hard drive. This is getting really frustrating.

Is there a methodology I should be using after
re-fromatting/re-installing windows that will protect me better? The
first thing I do is install anti-virus software - but that requires
connecting to the internet for updates. It's kind of a catch-22...what

should I do?

Thanks for your advice.
Paula

Ken Ward

On 25 May 2005 17:34:11 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I just reformatted my hard drive - so my PC is ultra-clean.
>
>BUT - now when I start up my PC, after my wireless network connection
>is established, my internet explorer starts up and tries to connect to
>this website (with no luck I might add):
>
>http://www.freewebs.com/jodaaa/happy.html
>
>There is nothing in Startup to cause this (all that is in my startup is
>Norton Internet Security, Antivirus, and Wireless Network Utility).
>
>Can anyone guess what may be happening here? It's not affecting
>anything on my PC, so I am not too worried. It's just ****ing me off!
>
>Thanks!
>Paula

Try BHODemon from www.definitivesolutions.com to see what Browser
Helper Objects you have. Also try Process Explorer from
www.sysinternals.com to see what is connected to your wireless network
and explorer at the time.

nemo_outis

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1117087646.954856.23100
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I just connected to the net to download updates to my Norton Internet
> Security/Antivirus software - and that's when the problem started.
>
> I've just run adaware and spybot, re-scanned my PC for viruses, and the
>
> problem still exists.
>
> I have a feeling I am just going to have to re-format again - for the
> millionth time. Dell tells me that this could reduce the life of my
> hard drive. This is getting really frustrating.
>
> Is there a methodology I should be using after
> re-fromatting/re-installing windows that will protect me better? The
> first thing I do is install anti-virus software - but that requires
> connecting to the internet for updates. It's kind of a catch-22...what
>
> should I do?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
> Paula

To minimize the amount of work I suggest the following.

1. Reformat the entire drive. But that's not enough. I suggest you
also repartition it and restore the MBR (e.g., with fdisk).
Alternatively - and better - do a "manufacturer's level reformat" (using
software available from Western Dignital, Maxtor, Hitahi, seagate, etc.
as the case may be.)

2. Reformat the disk (and repartiton it, etc.)

3. Install just the OS from known-good sources (e.g., original Windows
CDs)

4. Install Ghost (or Acronis, etc.) from known-good sources (or even
use a diskette or CD-based version that doesn't require installation).
Backup the HD as an image.

5. Install your most trustworthy programs from known-good sources
(e.g., MS Office from CDs)

6. Backup entire HD with Ghost, Acronis, etc. (incremental backup
shpould suffice).

7. Install second-tier (less trustworthy) software. Backup with Ghost
as per step 6.

8. Repeat steps 7 & 6 in stages adding a few more programs, confirming
the system is clean, and backup. Repeat until all is well and system is
fully up. If you encounter problems at any point, roll back to a
previous working disk image.

I know this seems tedious (and it is) but the idea of regular incremental
image backups is something you should be doing anyway and this ill be a
baptim of fire in that discipline

Regards,

donnie

On 25 May 2005 23:07:26 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a feeling I am just going to have to re-format again - for the
>millionth time.

################################
A reformat is the last resort in my book but for some reason, many
times it's the first thing that's recommended. I call it 'hospital
thinking'. Right away the doctors want to operate.
donnie.

David H. Lipman

From: "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| To minimize the amount of work I suggest the following.
|
| 1. Reformat the entire drive. But that's not enough. I suggest you
| also repartition it and restore the MBR (e.g., with fdisk).
| Alternatively - and better - do a "manufacturer's level reformat" (using
| software available from Western Dignital, Maxtor, Hitahi, seagate, etc.
| as the case may be.)
|
| 2. Reformat the disk (and repartiton it, etc.)
|
| 3. Install just the OS from known-good sources (e.g., original Windows
| CDs)
|
| 4. Install Ghost (or Acronis, etc.) from known-good sources (or even
| use a diskette or CD-based version that doesn't require installation).
| Backup the HD as an image.
|
| 5. Install your most trustworthy programs from known-good sources
| (e.g., MS Office from CDs)
|
| 6. Backup entire HD with Ghost, Acronis, etc. (incremental backup
| shpould suffice).
|
| 7. Install second-tier (less trustworthy) software. Backup with Ghost
| as per step 6.
|
| 8. Repeat steps 7 & 6 in stages adding a few more programs, confirming
| the system is clean, and backup. Repeat until all is well and system is
| fully up. If you encounter problems at any point, roll back to a
| previous working disk image.
|
| I know this seems tedious (and it is) but the idea of regular incremental
| image backups is something you should be doing anyway and this ill be a
| baptim of fire in that discipline
|
| Regards,

There is really no "low level format" of ATAPI/EIDE hard disks. The term "zero fill" the
drive (writing "zero" to all areas of the hard disk). However, there is no indication of a
Boot Sector Infector, just adware/spyware and a "fdisk /mbr" and "zero fill" of the hard
disk is unwarranted. Just deleting the partition and recreating the partition then a high
level format of the drive is needed.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David H. Lipman

From: "donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| On 25 May 2005 23:07:26 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
|
>> I have a feeling I am just going to have to re-format again - for the
>> millionth time.

| ################################
| A reformat is the last resort in my book but for some reason, many
| times it's the first thing that's recommended. I call it 'hospital
| thinking'. Right away the doctors want to operate.
| donnie.

Ditto Donnie !

--

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>| To minimize the amount of work I suggest the following.
>|
>| 1. Reformat the entire drive. But that's not enough. I suggest
>| you also repartition it and restore the MBR (e.g., with fdisk).
>| Alternatively - and better - do a "manufacturer's level reformat"
>| (using software available from Western Dignital, Maxtor, Hitahi,
>| seagate, etc. as the case may be.)
>|
>| 2. Reformat the disk (and repartiton it, etc.)
>|
>| 3. Install just the OS from known-good sources (e.g., original
>| Windows CDs)
>|
>| 4. Install Ghost (or Acronis, etc.) from known-good sources (or
>| even use a diskette or CD-based version that doesn't require
>| installation). Backup the HD as an image.
>|
>| 5. Install your most trustworthy programs from known-good sources
>| (e.g., MS Office from CDs)
>|
>| 6. Backup entire HD with Ghost, Acronis, etc. (incremental backup
>| shpould suffice).
>|
>| 7. Install second-tier (less trustworthy) software. Backup with
>| Ghost as per step 6.
>|
>| 8. Repeat steps 7 & 6 in stages adding a few more programs,
>| confirming the system is clean, and backup. Repeat until all is well
>| and system is fully up. If you encounter problems at any point, roll
>| back to a previous working disk image.
>|
>| I know this seems tedious (and it is) but the idea of regular
>| incremental image backups is something you should be doing anyway and
>| this ill be a baptim of fire in that discipline
>|
>| Regards,
>|

> There is really no "low level format" of ATAPI/EIDE hard disks. The
> term "zero fill" the drive (writing "zero" to all areas of the hard
> disk). However, there is no indication of a Boot Sector Infector,
> just adware/spyware and a "fdisk /mbr" and "zero fill" of the hard
> disk is unwarranted. Just deleting the partition and recreating the
> partition then a high level format of the drive is needed.

I outlined two courses of action: the conventional reformat, and the
"manufacturer's reformat." I did this purposefully and fully aware of
the possibilities and limitations of each. And, yes, as a review of my
reformat" using its publicly available software isn't equivalent to a
factory reformat (e.g., laying down servo tracks, etc.) but it does
zeroize all data on the drive.

No evidence of a boot sector infector? Maybe not, but that hardly seems
conclusive. The fellow with the problem seems unable to identify the
source of his problem or even to eliminate specific categories.
Accordingly, it would be just plain prudent and sensible, if one goes to
the trouble of reformatting a drive, to do it thoroughly. And that is
why I would strongly recommend using the manufacturer's program (e.g.,
Powerblast for Maxtor, Drive Fitness Test for Hitachi/IBM, etc.).
Moreover, I mentioned these programs because many are not aware that such
manufacturer's software is available.

Regards,

SimpleSimon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just reformatted my hard drive - so my PC is ultra-clean.
>
> BUT - now when I start up my PC, after my wireless network connection
> is established, my internet explorer starts up and tries to connect to
> this website (with no luck I might add):
>
> http://www.freewebs.com/jodaaa/happy.html
>
> There is nothing in Startup to cause this (all that is in my startup is
> Norton Internet Security, Antivirus, and Wireless Network Utility).
>
> Can anyone guess what may be happening here? It's not affecting
> anything on my PC, so I am not too worried. It's just ****ing me off!
>
> Thanks!
> Paula

You dont say what OS you are running. But assuming it to be a recent MS
product I would suggest running msconfig from the run command. When this
opens choose the Diagnostic Startup from the general tab and then OK it and
follow the instructions to reboot. This will bring the PC up in minimal
mode. if IE then doesnt run then you know that one of the system stratup
files is causing your problems. It is then a case of choosing Selective
Startup from msconfig and only choosing one of the entries at a time to find
out which file is causing you the problem. At that stage I think another
post to this group would be in order.

Simon