Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > norton security

norton security

Bonnie J.

I am fairly new to pc. I have windows 98 with 2001 Norton firewall and
norton system works. I tried to download Norton Internet Security 2005. I
could not. I was told to delete all my old Norton software before
installing. I also have 2004 Norton antivirus software on. this is good
until July of 2005. Is his correct? Should I uninstall all my 2001
software and then upgrade? Once you get software on your system I thought
it would work until you upgraded to something newer. I was told no this
2001 stuff is now useless. Please help.

Joseph V. Morris

Bonnie,

Well, let's take this a bit more slowly before rendering an answer.

You say you're fairly new to PCs but have Windows 98 with Norton 2001
firewall installed. I presume that this is an older machine, then? That
can make a difference in what solution is best for you.

First, is this Windows 98 (first edition) or Windows 98 Second Edition
that's installed on the machine? And, regarding the machine itself, can you
tell us anything detailed about it? What's the CPU and its clock speed?
How much RAM is installed? How big is the hard drive?

"Bonnie J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>. . . .I tried to download Norton Internet Security 2005. I
> could not.

That's part of the reason for my question. I'm not at all sure that NIS
2005 will work on the original version of Win 98 in the first place. But I
_AM_ fairly certain that you wouldn't want to try if this is an older
machine as it would bring your internet surfing to a very slow crawl.

> I was told to delete all my old Norton software before
> installing.

That's sort of correct -- but it's not simply a matter of deleting the old
Norton software; you'd need to UNINSTALL the programs (using Add/Remove
Software in Control Panel). Simply deleting files associated with the older
Norton products is not at all easy to do and you're likely to end up with
some serious problems.

> . . . . Should I uninstall all my 2001software and then upgrade?

Again, it depends on the specifics about the machine you've got.

> Once you get software on your system I thought
> it would work until you upgraded to something newer.

Oh, NIS 2001 will still work on that machine. It just doesn't have all the
bells and whistles of the newer releases (but it's also far less likely to
drive you nuts).

> I was told no this 2001 stuff is now useless. Please help.

No, the native firewall component is pretty much identical to that which is
in the most recent releases of NIS and NPF. It's all the add-ons since the
2001 version that you'd be paying for -- and you might well find that the
machine can't use them in the first place.

Tommy

Bonnie J. wrote:

> I am fairly new to pc. I have windows 98 with 2001 Norton firewall and
> norton system works. I tried to download Norton Internet Security 2005.
> could not. I was told to delete all my old Norton software before
> installing. I also have 2004 Norton antivirus software on. this is good
> until July of 2005. Is his correct? Should I uninstall all my 2001
> software and then upgrade? Once you get software on your system I thought
> it would work until you upgraded to something newer. I was told no this
> 2001 stuff is now useless. Please help.

Like the other poster pointed out, If its an old computer Norton 2005 would
bring it down to a crawl.

As for a firewall, you have many other choices - here are a couple of free
ones.

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

I haven't used windows for years, perhaps someone else will chime in on what
firewall is best for your system..

speeder

On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:07:44 -0400, Tommy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bonnie J. wrote:
>
>> I am fairly new to pc. I have windows 98 with 2001 Norton firewall and
>> norton system works. I tried to download Norton Internet Security 2005.
>> could not. I was told to delete all my old Norton software before
>> installing. I also have 2004 Norton antivirus software on. this is good
>> until July of 2005. Is his correct? Should I uninstall all my 2001
>> software and then upgrade? Once you get software on your system I thought
>> it would work until you upgraded to something newer. I was told no this
>> 2001 stuff is now useless. Please help.

>Like the other poster pointed out, If its an old computer Norton 2005 would
>bring it down to a crawl.
>
>As for a firewall, you have many other choices - here are a couple of free
>ones.
>
>http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN
>http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
>
>I haven't used windows for years, perhaps someone else will chime in on what
>firewall is best for your system..

I have an old backup machine that runs Win98, NIS 2005 is out of the
question. In fact, I tried 2003 and it would just stop, not just the
internet browsing. But itīs a pentium 166 Mhz running with 100 MB RAM
and 6GB drive space. Iīve managed to get it working with ZoneAlarm but
it takes a long time just to boot. Iīve been told Outpost is light on
resources (compared to Norton at least), donīt know how it would
perform on that old pentium though.

You could add one of those $50 routers and releave your firewall/Win98
from dealing with a lot of malicious probing. On older machines this
is big plus as it can lock if your software firewall doesnīt keep up
the pace with some common attacks.

Joseph V. Morris

Speeder,

"speeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
.. . . .

> I have an old backup machine that runs Win98, NIS 2005 is out of the
> question. In fact, I tried 2003 and it would just stop, not just the
> internet browsing. But itīs a pentium 166 Mhz running with 100 MB RAM
> and 6GB drive space.

Yeah, I had (still do, as a matter of fact) a PII @ 350 MHz, 64 MB of RAM,
7 GB Hard Drive running Win 98 SE on a 100 MHz front-end bus. I've run NIS
1.0, 2.5, 3.0x (NIS 2001), and 4.0x (NIS 2002) on that machine. One of the
Symantec beta testers (external testers, they called them) warned me off
upgrading to NIS 2003 when it was first released. Your experience is
consistent with their advice.

> Iīve managed to get it working with ZoneAlarm but
> it takes a long time just to boot. Iīve been told Outpost is light on
> resources (compared to Norton at least), donīt know how it would
> perform on that old pentium though.

An old version of Zone Alarm (the free version) might be just the ticket for
the original poster -- new to PCs and presumably not knowledgable of
software firewalls at all.

.. . . .

Bonnie J.

thank you-cp is IBM Processor -Intel family 6 Model 8 662MHZ Memory 128MB
56K Hard disk 19.01 GB Does this help? Yes it is old bot used. Have never
had virus or security problem as yet. Maybe I should just leave well enough
alone.
"Joseph V. Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bonnie,
>
> Well, let's take this a bit more slowly before rendering an answer.
>
> You say you're fairly new to PCs but have Windows 98 with Norton 2001
> firewall installed. I presume that this is an older machine, then? That
> can make a difference in what solution is best for you.
>
> First, is this Windows 98 (first edition) or Windows 98 Second Edition
> that's installed on the machine? And, regarding the machine itself, can

you
> tell us anything detailed about it? What's the CPU and its clock speed?
> How much RAM is installed? How big is the hard drive?
>
> "Bonnie J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >. . . .I tried to download Norton Internet Security 2005. I
> > could not.

> That's part of the reason for my question. I'm not at all sure that NIS
> 2005 will work on the original version of Win 98 in the first place. But

> _AM_ fairly certain that you wouldn't want to try if this is an older
> machine as it would bring your internet surfing to a very slow crawl.
>
> > I was told to delete all my old Norton software before
> > installing.

> That's sort of correct -- but it's not simply a matter of deleting the old
> Norton software; you'd need to UNINSTALL the programs (using Add/Remove
> Software in Control Panel). Simply deleting files associated with the

older
> Norton products is not at all easy to do and you're likely to end up with
> some serious problems.
>
> > . . . . Should I uninstall all my 2001software and then upgrade?

> Again, it depends on the specifics about the machine you've got.
>
> > Once you get software on your system I thought
> > it would work until you upgraded to something newer.

> Oh, NIS 2001 will still work on that machine. It just doesn't have all

the
> bells and whistles of the newer releases (but it's also far less likely to
> drive you nuts).
>
> > I was told no this 2001 stuff is now useless. Please help.

> No, the native firewall component is pretty much identical to that which

is
> in the most recent releases of NIS and NPF. It's all the add-ons since

the
> 2001 version that you'd be paying for -- and you might well find that the
> machine can't use them in the first place.

Bonnie J.

Operating system Windows 4.10 Hope this helps
"Joseph V. Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bonnie,
>
> Well, let's take this a bit more slowly before rendering an answer.
>
> You say you're fairly new to PCs but have Windows 98 with Norton 2001
> firewall installed. I presume that this is an older machine, then? That
> can make a difference in what solution is best for you.
>
> First, is this Windows 98 (first edition) or Windows 98 Second Edition
> that's installed on the machine? And, regarding the machine itself, can

you
> tell us anything detailed about it? What's the CPU and its clock speed?
> How much RAM is installed? How big is the hard drive?
>
> "Bonnie J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >. . . .I tried to download Norton Internet Security 2005. I
> > could not.

> That's part of the reason for my question. I'm not at all sure that NIS
> 2005 will work on the original version of Win 98 in the first place. But

> _AM_ fairly certain that you wouldn't want to try if this is an older
> machine as it would bring your internet surfing to a very slow crawl.
>
> > I was told to delete all my old Norton software before
> > installing.

> That's sort of correct -- but it's not simply a matter of deleting the old
> Norton software; you'd need to UNINSTALL the programs (using Add/Remove
> Software in Control Panel). Simply deleting files associated with the

older
> Norton products is not at all easy to do and you're likely to end up with
> some serious problems.
>
> > . . . . Should I uninstall all my 2001software and then upgrade?

> Again, it depends on the specifics about the machine you've got.
>
> > Once you get software on your system I thought
> > it would work until you upgraded to something newer.

> Oh, NIS 2001 will still work on that machine. It just doesn't have all

the
> bells and whistles of the newer releases (but it's also far less likely to
> drive you nuts).
>
> > I was told no this 2001 stuff is now useless. Please help.

> No, the native firewall component is pretty much identical to that which

is
> in the most recent releases of NIS and NPF. It's all the add-ons since

the
> 2001 version that you'd be paying for -- and you might well find that the
> machine can't use them in the first place.

Bonnie J.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help. My question is: When
symantic does a live update and scan- check the system and come back and
says you can download or buy this and that. do they not know at that time
if it will work ok on my old system. They were the ones that said I
should download 2005 internet security o n my system. I have decided to
leave well enough alone, until I update my pc. Thanks again.
"Joseph V. Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bonnie,
>
> Well, let's take this a bit more slowly before rendering an answer.
>
> You say you're fairly new to PCs but have Windows 98 with Norton 2001
> firewall installed. I presume that this is an older machine, then? That
> can make a difference in what solution is best for you.
>
> First, is this Windows 98 (first edition) or Windows 98 Second Edition
> that's installed on the machine? And, regarding the machine itself, can

you
> tell us anything detailed about it? What's the CPU and its clock speed?
> How much RAM is installed? How big is the hard drive?
>
> "Bonnie J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >. . . .I tried to download Norton Internet Security 2005. I
> > could not.

> That's part of the reason for my question. I'm not at all sure that NIS
> 2005 will work on the original version of Win 98 in the first place. But

> _AM_ fairly certain that you wouldn't want to try if this is an older
> machine as it would bring your internet surfing to a very slow crawl.
>
> > I was told to delete all my old Norton software before
> > installing.

> That's sort of correct -- but it's not simply a matter of deleting the old
> Norton software; you'd need to UNINSTALL the programs (using Add/Remove
> Software in Control Panel). Simply deleting files associated with the

older
> Norton products is not at all easy to do and you're likely to end up with
> some serious problems.
>
> > . . . . Should I uninstall all my 2001software and then upgrade?

> Again, it depends on the specifics about the machine you've got.
>
> > Once you get software on your system I thought
> > it would work until you upgraded to something newer.

> Oh, NIS 2001 will still work on that machine. It just doesn't have all

the
> bells and whistles of the newer releases (but it's also far less likely to
> drive you nuts).
>
> > I was told no this 2001 stuff is now useless. Please help.

> No, the native firewall component is pretty much identical to that which

is
> in the most recent releases of NIS and NPF. It's all the add-ons since

the
> 2001 version that you'd be paying for -- and you might well find that the
> machine can't use them in the first place.

Joseph V. Morris

Bonnie,

My apologies for not getting back earlier. Yes, this information helps. I
would recommend that you leave well enough alone for the moment.

All of the software firewalls are adding new features and safeguards all the
time, but you can frequently get the same 'features' with add-on security
utilities (often free).

If you need additional information with this old version of NIS (or
suggestions for a replacement) you can always post in the Security Forum at
BBR/DSLR, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security or the Wilders Security
Forum at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31 . Both of
these security forums are quite reputable and have a number of participants
who're familiar with the older versions of NIS/NPF (and even AtGuard!) who
will be more than willing to either provide assistance or identify
alternative solutions.

But, remember to include those system specs if you're looking for a
replacement and also indicate how much (or little) you feel you may know
about software firewalls.