Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Google Warning...

Google Warning...

DD

Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
Google:

We're sorry...

.... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
that your computer or network has been infected.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?

DD

Michael Pelletier

DD wrote:

> Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
> Google:
>
> We're sorry...
>
> ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
> spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
> that your computer or network has been infected.
>
> We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
> the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
> to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
> software.
>
> We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
> Google.
>
> I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
> was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
>
> DD

....it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you try
getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
firefox...see if you get the same message.

Michael
--
"Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Protect your rights
http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/tr...0031001_tc.php
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

DD

Michael Pelletier wrote:
> DD wrote:
>

>>Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
>>Google:
>>
>>We're sorry...
>>
>>... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
>>spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
>>that your computer or network has been infected.
>>
>>We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
>>the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
>>to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
>>software.
>>
>>We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
>>Google.
>>
>>I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
>>was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
>>
>>DD

> ...it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you tr y
> getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
> firefox...see if you get the same message.
>
> Michael

Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.

DD

Ashp

DD wrote:

> Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
> Google:
>
> We're sorry...
>
> ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
> spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
> that your computer or network has been infected.
>
> We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
> the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
> to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
> software.
>
> We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
>
> I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but
> nothing was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
>
> DD

Check your host file, and clean it up.

Ash.

Michael Pelletier

DD wrote:

> Michael Pelletier wrote:
>> DD wrote:
>>

>>>Both my wife and I are getting the following warning when we go into
>>>Google:
>>>
>>>We're sorry...
>>>
>>>... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
>>>spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
>>>that your computer or network has been infected.
>>>
>>>We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
>>>the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
>>>to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
>>>software.
>>>
>>>We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
>>>Google.
>>>
>>>I have scanned my system using Avast AV, Spybot and AdAware but nothing
>>>was found. Can anyone suggest what is going on?
>>>
>>>DD

>> ...it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you tr y
>> getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
>> firefox...see if you get the same message.
>>
>> Michael

> Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.
>
> DD

Check your hosts file. It probably has bogus entries in it...

Michael
--

Michael Pelletier wrote:

> DD wrote:
>
>> Michael Pelletier wrote:

>>> ...it is working fine for me...never heard of that one. Could you tr y
>>> getting to google with a different browser? If you are using IE try
>>> firefox...see if you get the same message.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.
>>
>> DD

> Check your hosts file. It probably has bogus entries in it...
>
> Michael

...an easy test to see if it is your hosts file type (in your browser):
http://216.239.39.99

If you go to google (which is the ip address above) without any problems
then you have bad entries in your hosts file. Some spyware will do this to
redirect you to other web sites...

Michael
--

Michael Pelletier wrote:
> Michael Pelletier wrote:
>

>>DD wrote:

>>>Same result with Internet Explorer! Currenly using Firefox.
>>>
>>>DD

>>Check your hosts file. It probably has bogus entries in it...
>>
>>Michael

> ..an easy test to see if it is your hosts file type (in your browser):
> http://216.239.39.99
>
> If you go to google (which is the ip address above) without any problems
> then you have bad entries in your hosts file. Some spyware will do this to
> redirect you to other web sites...
>
> Michael

I tried the IP address and did go to Google directly! But I have no
idea how to clean up the hosts file, can anyone help? In simple terms
please!
Incidentally, why would my wife's computer have the same problem?

DD

Ashp

DD wrote:

> I tried the IP address and did go to Google directly! But I have no
> idea how to clean up the hosts file, can anyone help? In simple terms
> please!
> Incidentally, why would my wife's computer have the same problem?
>
> DD

Assuming you are running XP

Go to

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the file called hosts with notepad.

Delete all entries apart from

127.0.0.1 localhost

DD

Ashp wrote:
> DD wrote:
>
>> I tried the IP address and did go to Google directly! But I have
>> no idea how to clean up the hosts file, can anyone help? In simple
>> terms please!
>> Incidentally, why would my wife's computer have the same problem?
>>
>> DD

> Assuming you are running XP
>
> Go to
>
> C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the file called hosts with
> notepad.
>
> Delete all entries apart from
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost

I am running XP Home but I do not appear to have a HOSTS file! under
drivers I have two folders, DISDN and ETC. The DISDN folder is empty and
the ETC folder contains two files called hosts.bak and Imhosts.sam which
seem to be sample files. There are three other files in this folder,
SERVICES, NETWORKS and PROTOCOL. The IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost
appears at the end of the hosts.bak file.
I need some help, this is new territory for me.

Thanks for the diagnosis and help so far...

DD

xsr

DD Wrote:
> I am running XP Home but I do not appear to have a HOSTS file! under
> drivers I have two folders, DISDN and ETC. The DISDN folder is empty
> and
> the ETC folder contains two files called hosts.bak and Imhosts.sam
> which
> seem to be sample files. There are three other files in this folder,
> SERVICES, NETWORKS and PROTOCOL. The IP address 127.0.0.1 localhost
> appears at the end of the hosts.bak file.
> I need some help, this is new territory for me.
>
> Thanks for the diagnosis and help so far...
>
> DD

There is a tool called "Hijack this" (
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html ), the output of that tool
would be more helpfull. The fact that adware/av scanners have cleaned
some stuff doesn't necesairly mean that your not still infected with
something.
As a last resort, a fresh install probally fixes it. But just don't
forget to firewall your box before putting it online (or on lan, since
your wife has the same problem).

---
xsr
896c e197 a881 7af3 a9ca bad5 b83d 0ae9 4de6 00fa
usenet [at] http://www.research-labs.net