Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > DMZ option on router

DMZ option on router

GreenSpade

Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really so
dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if I
turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure ports
for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

Kenotic

GreenSpade wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really so
> dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if I
> turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure ports
> for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

Enabling the DMZ option on the router will remove all firewall
protection. All traffic not handled by anouther rule will be passed to
the machine. This could lead to exploits. Just wondering, why would you
want to do that anyway? Maybe if you give an example I can help you out.

--Kenotic

Jim Watt

On Mon, 09 May 2005 02:03:10 GMT, "GreenSpade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really so
>dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if I
>turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure ports
>for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

People might not, but all sorts of things might start looking for
weaknesses in your system.

I left a system fully exposed for a couple of days after
which had to wipe the HD and re-install the OS as it
had +something+
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Michael Pelletier

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Mon, 09 May 2005 02:03:10 GMT, "GreenSpade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really
>>so dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if
>>I turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure
>>ports for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

> People might not, but all sorts of things might start looking for
> weaknesses in your system.
>
> I left a system fully exposed for a couple of days after
> which had to wipe the HD and re-install the OS as it
> had +something+
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Even on my home network, I get scanned (http, smtp, ssh, dns) about 12 times
a day and forget about the stats at work. I read a stat saying an unpatched
windows pc can get infected on the order of minutes if not protected
(patched and firewalled)...

Michael
--
"Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Protect your rights
http://www.eff.org/
http://www.publicknowledge.org/

Michael Pelletier

GreenSpade wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really
> so dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if
> I turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure
> ports for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

If you need access to a port why not just port-forward that port? What is
the problem you are having? What are you trying to achieve.

Michael
--
"Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Protect your rights
http://www.eff.org/
http://www.publicknowledge.org/

GreenSpade

I've tried doing that, for the game Stronghold. I've tried to configure it
every which way in my router setup, for a Siemen 2614. The only way I can
host/join games is by enabling the DMZ option on my computer. But it is
patched and usually has the software firewall.
Maybe if you could tell me for sure what menu to use for port forwarding in
the Siemens router setup?
I see virtual server, client filtering, and special application, and each
looks like it might work for the port forwarding but I dont really know
which one to use. I've tried them all with several different configurations
but nothing works. Thanks

"Michael Pelletier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> GreenSpade wrote:
>
> > Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really
> > so dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately

if
> > I turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure
> > ports for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

> If you need access to a port why not just port-forward that port? What is
> the problem you are having? What are you trying to achieve.
>
> Michael
> --
> "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
>
> Protect your rights
> http://www.eff.org/
> http://www.publicknowledge.org/

xsr

GreenSpade Wrote:
> I've tried doing that, for the game Stronghold. I've tried to configure
> it
> every which way in my router setup, for a Siemen 2614. The only way I
> can
> host/join games is by enabling the DMZ option on my computer. But it
> is
> patched and usually has the software firewall.
> Maybe if you could tell me for sure what menu to use for port
> forwarding in
> the Siemens router setup?
> I see virtual server, client filtering, and special application, and
> each
> looks like it might work for the port forwarding but I dont really
> know
> which one to use. I've tried them all with several different
> configurations
> but nothing works. Thanks

I suppose virtual server would do the trick, only you need to find out
which ports exactly are used by the game.

---
xsr
896c e197 a881 7af3 a9ca bad5 b83d 0ae9 4de6 00fa
usenet [at] http://www.research-labs.net

Michael Pelletier

GreenSpade wrote:

> I've tried doing that, for the game Stronghold. I've tried to configure it
> every which way in my router setup, for a Siemen 2614. The only way I can
> host/join games is by enabling the DMZ option on my computer. But it is
> patched and usually has the software firewall.
> Maybe if you could tell me for sure what menu to use for port forwarding
> in the Siemens router setup?
> I see virtual server, client filtering, and special application, and each
> looks like it might work for the port forwarding but I dont really know
> which one to use. I've tried them all with several different
> configurations but nothing works. Thanks
>
> "Michael Pelletier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> GreenSpade wrote:
>>
>> > Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is
>> > really so dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer
>> > immediately

> if
>> > I turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure
>> > ports for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

>> If you need access to a port why not just port-forward that port? What is
>> the problem you are having? What are you trying to achieve.
>>
>> Michael
>> --
>> "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
>>
>> Protect your rights
>> http://www.eff.org/
>> http://www.publicknowledge.org/

My guess is that you are forgetting a port you need...Please verify the
port(s) you need first.

Michael
--
"Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Protect your rights
http://www.eff.org/
http://www.publicknowledge.org/

eighthcentury eighthcentury is offline
Junior Member

I was just playing around, looking to see what options my router had. Lucky I asked Google and got sent to this question. I was going to turn DMZ on just to see what it did, if anything. Good thing I always try and check but if you don't look, ya never learn.to the people who run sites like this that help us wanna be geeks look like we know what we are doing.