Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Desparate for help!!!!!!

Desparate for help!!!!!!

bruce

I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
Netscape, etc

Issue 1:
With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
work.
When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind password
protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the javascripts work
fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are changing
service, so they are not helping me right now...)

Issue 2:
I can not change my home page.
It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
back to
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir...r=6&ar=msnhome
This LOOKS legit... but???
I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
been change to the desired home page. No luck....

-------------------------
Troble shooting done:
Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted HD
several months back - and maintained upgrades)
I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
Deleted cookies, temp files etc...

I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this site
for my work!

what else can I do?
Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?

I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail

Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)

Thanks
Bruce

David H. Lipman

From: "bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
| First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
| possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
| Netscape, etc
|
| Issue 1:
| With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
| not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
| work.
| When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
| window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
| into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
| So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind password
| protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the javascripts work
| fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
| www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
| designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
| http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are changing
| service, so they are not helping me right now...)
|
| Issue 2:
| I can not change my home page.
| It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
| make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
| back to
| http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir...r=6&ar=msnhome
| This LOOKS legit... but???
| I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
| been change to the desired home page. No luck....
|
| -------------------------
| Troble shooting done:
| Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted HD
| several months back - and maintained upgrades)
| I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
| running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
| about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
| Deleted cookies, temp files etc...
|
| I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this site
| for my work!
|
| what else can I do?
| Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
| of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?
|
| I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail
|
| Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
| I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)
|
| Thanks
| Bruce

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

1) Download TrendMicro Sysclean by other of the following 2 methods

Trend Sysclean Method 1
---------------------------------------
Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend signature files.

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\sysclean")

Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
Download the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt606.zip

SYSCLEAN.COM.

Trend Sysclean Method 2
---------------------------------------
Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
Direct URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

2) Download Ad-aware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions.
3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDoc...SysRestore.htm
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.
5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Ad-aware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
7) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
Reboot your PC.
9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Mich

"bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
> First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
> possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
> Netscape, etc
>
> Issue 1:
> With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
> not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
> work.
> When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
> window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
> into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
> So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind

password
> protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the javascripts

work
> fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
> www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
> designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
> http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are

changing
> service, so they are not helping me right now...)
>
> Issue 2:
> I can not change my home page.
> It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
> make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
> back to
> http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir...r=6&ar=msnhome
> This LOOKS legit... but???
> I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
> been change to the desired home page. No luck....
>

> -------------------------
> Troble shooting done:
> Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted

HD
> several months back - and maintained upgrades)
> I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
> running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
> about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
> Deleted cookies, temp files etc...
>
> I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this

site
> for my work!
>
> what else can I do?
> Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
> of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?
>
> I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail
>

> Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
> I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)
>
> Thanks
> Bruce

Are you running Error Guard by chance ?
Had a customer that installed it on a new custom computer I built for him,
He decided to pay for and install Error Guard which did not allow him to log
into online mail or banking, along with not being able to change his
homepage.
The system was only three days old !!!
I did a restore to the day before he installed Error Guard and everything
came back to normal..

Mich...

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

For Issue 1:
Your HijackThis log is NOT attached. Please don't post it here!
First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ssoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
> First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
> possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
> Netscape, etc
>
> Issue 1:
> With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
> not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
> work.
> When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
> window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
> into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
> So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind
> password protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the
> javascripts work fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
> www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
> designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
> http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are
> changing service, so they are not helping me right now...)
>
> Issue 2:
> I can not change my home page.
> It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
> make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
> back to
> http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir...r=6&ar=msnhome
> This LOOKS legit... but???
> I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
> been change to the desired home page. No luck....
>

> -------------------------
> Troble shooting done:
> Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted
> HD several months back - and maintained upgrades)
> I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
> running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
> about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
> Deleted cookies, temp files etc...
>
> I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this
> site for my work!
>
> what else can I do?
> Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
> of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?
>
> I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail
>

> Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
> I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)
>
> Thanks
> Bruce

Roger Wilco

"bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Issue 2:
> I can not change my home page.
> It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick

Are you running an anti-spyware application that recovers from homepage
hijackings by reverting to MSN as default?

Winged

Roger Wilco wrote:
> "bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>Issue 2:
>>I can not change my home page.
>>It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick

> Are you running an anti-spyware application that recovers from homepage
> hijackings by reverting to MSN as default?

Has Homepage been locked by spybot?
Winged

bruce

I am not running Error guard... Thank for the suggestion though...
Mc