Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Is Grisoft AVG FREE adequate protection for my system?

Is Grisoft AVG FREE adequate protection for my system?

Babel17delany

I am planning to remove Norton Antivirus 2000 from my Windows 98 system
because of some problems I believe it is creating. Specifically, I
believe NAV is the cause of very delayed loading of certain programs,
all of which contain an update option.

I would like to know if those of you feel that Grisoft AVG FREE is an
adequate protection for my system. If not, how is the paid version?

Thank you.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

Michael Pelletier

Babel17delany wrote:

> I am planning to remove Norton Antivirus 2000 from my Windows 98 system
> because of some problems I believe it is creating. Specifically, I
> believe NAV is the cause of very delayed loading of certain programs,
> all of which contain an update option.
>
> I would like to know if those of you feel that Grisoft AVG FREE is an
> adequate protection for my system. If not, how is the paid version?
>
> Thank you.

I found an article that compares some of the anti viruses. You might want to
check that link out...

Michael
--

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

DavidPostill

In article <uRQce.2684$_K.334@fed1read03>, on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:19:06 -0700, Michael Pelletier
wrote:

| I found an article that compares some of the anti viruses. You might want to
| check that link out...

What link would that be then?

No sign of one in your post.
--
DavidPostill

Michael Pelletier

DavidPostill wrote:

> In article <uRQce.2684$_K.334@fed1read03>, on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:19:06
> -0700, Michael Pelletier wrote:
>
> | I found an article that compares some of the anti viruses. You might
> | want to check that link out...
>
> What link would that be then?
>
> No sign of one in your post.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/117776

Michael
--

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

Unruh

Michael Pelletier <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Babel17delany wrote:

>> I am planning to remove Norton Antivirus 2000 from my Windows 98 system
>> because of some problems I believe it is creating. Specifically, I
>> believe NAV is the cause of very delayed loading of certain programs,
>> all of which contain an update option.
>>
>> I would like to know if those of you feel that Grisoft AVG FREE is an
>> adequate protection for my system. If not, how is the paid version?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>I found an article that compares some of the anti viruses. You might want to
>check that link out...

We are all waiting with baited breath-- Which link?

SteveB

A couple of magazine comparisons put AVG ahead of Norton for efficacy
against viruses & trojans. Avast come out best though out of the free ones.
Personally speaking, friends of mine are using AVG (and Avast) with no
problems, but I was unlucky enough to get a virus only hours after updating
AVG about a year ago so I stopped using it. I've been using F-Secure ever
since (not free). I was impressed by the fact there aren't any serial
cracks for F-Secure Internet Security that work, they must know a thing or
two about security I thought, so I paid real money for a combined AV and
firewall.

"Babel17delany" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8wQce.18268$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am planning to remove Norton Antivirus 2000 from my Windows 98 system
>because of some problems I believe it is creating. Specifically, I believe
>NAV is the cause of very delayed loading of certain programs, all of which
>contain an update option.
>
> I would like to know if those of you feel that Grisoft AVG FREE is an
> adequate protection for my system. If not, how is the paid version?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Remove the "Delany" to reply.

Jim Watt

On 1 May 2005 00:51:31 GMT, Unruh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We are all waiting with baited breath-- Which link?

Its a link to a page with a link to a review from
Computer Shopper magazine, reproduced by the
author

http://www.transceiver.co.uk/txt/av05.html

By coincidence I've been looking at Grisoft as a lot of
my clients use Symantec and I hate the product and would
like something less intrusive.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Babel17delany

Good link.
They like Grisoft.
Thanks.

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.

DANG

"Babel17delany" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:8wQce.18268$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am planning to remove Norton Antivirus 2000 from my Windows 98 system
> because of some problems I believe it is creating. Specifically, I
> believe NAV is the cause of very delayed loading of certain programs,
> all of which contain an update option.
>
> I would like to know if those of you feel that Grisoft AVG FREE is an
> adequate protection for my system. If not, how is the paid version?

I've used AVG for years and can't complain. However I don't restrict myself
to only using one av application. Generally, I scan on command on a regular
basis and do not use real-time scanning, so resource hogging isn't a
problem. There have been a few occasions where various little annoyances
that AVG missed were picked up by another av application, for example in one
case, Kaspersky lite. No application is infallible and anti-virus software
can only attempt to keep up with latest viral definitions, so no particular
application will provide 100% "security".
I also feel that it's a matter of semantics. I view a correctly configured
browser and firewall as "protection", anti-virus as an "antiseptic", and
regular back-ups as "insurance", but the most important factors, as far as
security is concerned, are just pure common sense and awareness.
HTH

Winged

DANG wrote:
> I also feel that it's a matter of semantics. I view a correctly configured
> browser and firewall as "protection", anti-virus as an "antiseptic", and
> regular back-ups as "insurance", but the most important factors, as far as
> security is concerned, are just pure common sense and awareness.
> HTH

Amen.

Something has failed when AV catches a virus. Dang is right on the
mark. People who rely on only 1 tier of defense are open to compromise.
No single hardware or software solution is 100% against all vector
scenarios. Having multiple layers of properly managed firewalls (for
example) by different vendors, is much more secure than relying on a
single appliance or application. I know firewall layering seriously
disrupts various types of protocol tunneling attacks. Basic things such
as proxies can avert numerous threats. Patching is a critical protection
measure.

But a knowledgeable user base is by far the most effective first line of
defense.

Winged

AVG Free Updates from Grisoft Jones Minor NZ Computing 7 11-18-2005 05:56 PM
Grisoft AVG 7.0 *****General Computer Support 8 01-07-2005 11:48 PM
Grisoft AVG LO&MsLO Computer Support 5 02-15-2004 06:09 PM
Grisoft AVG Update - Juan Pérez Computer Support 6 02-06-2004 09:15 AM
Alternative to Grisoft AVG? Sherry Computer Support 59 11-08-2003 10:20 PM

Advertisments