Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > MSN Toolbar

MSN Toolbar

Nog

msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

Nog

Why does MSN Search have to connect to the internet twice, every time I do a
search on my local drive?

"Nog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
> Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

Jim Watt

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:19:07 -0400, "Nog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
>Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

Addon toolbars are things you are most likely better off without
so away with them all.

The option 'disable third party extentions is a good one' in
advanced settings on IE6
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Michael Pelletier

Nog wrote:

> Why does MSN Search have to connect to the internet twice, every time I do
> a search on my local drive?
>

> "Nog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
>> Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

I read something about that. Check the IP addresses. I believe it is connect
to Microsuck...

Michael
--

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

winged

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:19:07 -0400, "Nog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
>>Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

> Addon toolbars are things you are most likely better off without
> so away with them all.
>
> The option 'disable third party extentions is a good one' in
> advanced settings on IE6
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

I agree. Seldom does what they provide "improve" your experience. I
have never met a toolbar I liked from a spyware perspective that came
from the net, this includes MSN, Yahoo, etc. The programmatic
functionality could be useful for several things but I haven't seen any
free ones of that genre. Sounds like I need to program one

From a security perspective, typically the more add-ons/plug-ins you
use, the wider potential you leave for exploit, and the more likely that
the vendors patches will break things (though MS probably tests that
one While some plug-ins can aid security (some firefox extensions for
example) I have found little value added in using them, though I have
found (for example) the dragonware reading toolbar useful, but that was
from a commercial product.

Winged

Michael Pelletier

winged wrote:

> Jim Watt wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:19:07 -0400, "Nog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
>>>Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

>> Addon toolbars are things you are most likely better off without
>> so away with them all.
>>
>> The option 'disable third party extentions is a good one' in
>> advanced settings on IE6
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

> I agree. Seldom does what they provide "improve" your experience. I
> have never met a toolbar I liked from a spyware perspective that came
> from the net, this includes MSN, Yahoo, etc. The programmatic
> functionality could be useful for several things but I haven't seen any
> free ones of that genre. Sounds like I need to program one
>
> From a security perspective, typically the more add-ons/plug-ins you
> use, the wider potential you leave for exploit, and the more likely that
> the vendors patches will break things (though MS probably tests that
> one While some plug-ins can aid security (some firefox extensions for
> example) I have found little value added in using them, though I have
> found (for example) the dragonware reading toolbar useful, but that was
> from a commercial product.
>

> Winged

...not to meantion every time a friend calls you because they have a spyware
problem and they want you to fix it you discover they have multiple
"toolbars"...Coincidence? Maybe, Maybe not

--

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

artificially.intelligent@gmail.com

Many toolbars need to log into their home server to transmit
information about you and/or to update files without permission.

http://www.seekfreak.com/toolbar/ is a freeware toolbar that does not
report back to the home server or does not even have the ability to
update any files! It has many additional features (like ad blocker,
anon surf, URL submits/submissions, etc).

Majority of toolbar software out there is concidered SpyWare as they
connect to servers for no specific reason, make sure you read all the
fine print on the download pages (they by law should warn you).

Thanks for listening to me...
http://www.MaxSpider.com