Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Information Harvesting at Retail Stores

Information Harvesting at Retail Stores

Edw. Peach

I recall a few years ago some news traveling online about how certain
companies were harvesting online information and selling it. Some
were even able to link the email addresses to home addresses.

I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.

I wonder...if any of these companies are gathering this information
and making it available to someone who wants to send us crap mail to
our homes as well?

donnie

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I recall a few years ago some news traveling online about how certain
>companies were harvesting online information and selling it. Some
>were even able to link the email addresses to home addresses.
>
>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
>are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
>the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
>from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
>article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
>refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
>necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
>Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
>told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.
>
>I wonder...if any of these companies are gathering this information
>and making it available to someone who wants to send us crap mail to
>our homes as well?

##########################
There is no question that's it's all for marketing in one form or
another. I also refuse to give that information to cashiers. I won't
even give my zip code, not to mention anything else.
donnie.

Jim Watt

wrote:

>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
>are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
>the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
>from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
>article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
>refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
>necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
>Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
>told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.

I've visited microcenter in Cambridge MA a few times and its
an excellent shop.

The request for an address might be legitimate to verify card
details, OTOH sounds more like harvesting data for marketing
and resale. My Gibraltar PO box number is all I give and it
does not attract unsolicited mail.

I used to give 10, Dowing St, London W1 in the UK but did have
one shop refuse to sell me something as for some reason they
did not belive I lived there...
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

andy smart

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
>>are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
>>the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses

>>from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that

>>article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
>>refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
>>necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
>>Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
>>told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.

> I've visited microcenter in Cambridge MA a few times and its
> an excellent shop.
>
> The request for an address might be legitimate to verify card
> details, OTOH sounds more like harvesting data for marketing
> and resale. My Gibraltar PO box number is all I give and it
> does not attract unsolicited mail.
>
> I used to give 10, Dowing St, London W1 in the UK but did have
> one shop refuse to sell me something as for some reason they
> did not belive I lived there...
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Of course they didn't! You live at number 10 DowNing street you fool!

In the UK one of the computer shops can't give you a VAT recipt for your
business unless you give them the full address - but I've not found one
that asks for that info from 'ordinary' customers. Normally you'd only
need this for warranty, and you register that directly with the
maker. Mind you we also have the data protection act which limits and
constrains the way in which your data is collected/stored/used

Jim Watt

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:37:19 +0100, andy smart
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In the UK one of the computer shops can't give you a VAT recipt for your
>business unless you give them the full address - but I've not found one
>that asks for that info from 'ordinary' customers. Normally you'd only
>need this for warranty, and you register that directly with the
>maker. Mind you we also have the data protection act which limits and
>constrains the way in which your data is collected/stored/used

I have been regularly asked for an address in the UK when buying
goods retail. Not having a post code makes some anxious.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Edw. Peach

Whatever they're doing with this information, they really have the
cashiers trained to be insistent and persistent.

donnie

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 03:49:40 -0400, Edw. Peach <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Whatever they're doing with this information, they really have the
>cashiers trained to be insistent and persistent.

#############################
That works with the average customer. It doesn't work w/ me. I'm
very street wise and I have all the answers. Recently, a cashier
asked the person before me for his info and didn't even bother to ask
me. It's all in how you carry yourself.
donnie.

Michael Pelletier

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
>>are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
>>the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
>>from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
>>article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
>>refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
>>necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
>>Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
>>told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.

> I've visited microcenter in Cambridge MA a few times and its
> an excellent shop.
>
> The request for an address might be legitimate to verify card
> details, OTOH sounds more like harvesting data for marketing
> and resale. My Gibraltar PO box number is all I give and it
> does not attract unsolicited mail.
>
> I used to give 10, Dowing St, London W1 in the UK but did have
> one shop refuse to sell me something as for some reason they
> did not belive I lived there...
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

....ah man don't tell me you are from Boston....that just ruins my day...

Michael
--

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald