Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > MS Antispy Beta Picked up stuff missed by

MS Antispy Beta Picked up stuff missed by

Leon Trollski

Ad-aware
xoftspy
Spybot
AVG Free
F-prot
and Antivir XP

It found

Threats

VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)

Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)

NetGuide Adware (removed)

Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs

Info on VX2:
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4

What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the malware
is even openly marketed by some company.

lee

Leon Trollski wrote:
> Ad-aware
> xoftspy
> Spybot
> AVG Free
> F-prot
> and Antivir XP
>

> It found
>
> Threats
>
> VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)
>
> Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)
>
> NetGuide Adware (removed)
>
> Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs
>

> Info on VX2:
> http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4
>
> What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the malware
> is even openly marketed by some company.

Mr. Trollski....

Those last 3 utilities (AVG>Antivir) are not optimized for detecting
spyware.

1. No product is going to be 100% accurate, 100% of the time.

2. Some products actually will produce false-positive results. Make sure
you can authenticate what an anti-spyware utility intends to remove.

over and out

Mark Gibson

lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Leon Trollski wrote:
>> Ad-aware
>> xoftspy
>> Spybot
>> AVG Free
>> F-prot
>> and Antivir XP
>>

>> It found
>>
>> Threats
>>
>> VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)
>>
>> Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)
>>
>> NetGuide Adware (removed)
>>
>> Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs
>>

>> Info on VX2:
>> http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4
>>
>> What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the malware
>> is even openly marketed by some company.
>>

>Mr. Trollski....

>Those last 3 utilities (AVG>Antivir) are not optimized for detecting
>spyware.

>1. No product is going to be 100% accurate, 100% of the time.

>2. Some products actually will produce false-positive results. Make sure
>you can authenticate what an anti-spyware utility intends to remove.
>over and out

Yeah. Some Anti- spyware, adware, malware-in-general progs can show up as
threats, due to the fact that they work at very low level on your system.

--
"The universe is quite robust in design and appears to be doing
just fine on its own, incompetent support staff notwithstanding."

Leon Trollski

"lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V3B5e.9$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Leon Trollski wrote:
> > Ad-aware
> > xoftspy
> > Spybot
> > AVG Free
> > F-prot
> > and Antivir XP
> >

> > It found
> >
> > Threats
> >
> > VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)
> >
> > Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)
> >
> > NetGuide Adware (removed)
> >
> > Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs
> >

> > Info on VX2:
> > http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4
> >
> > What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the

malware
> > is even openly marketed by some company.
> >

> Mr. Trollski....
>
> Those last 3 utilities (AVG>Antivir) are not optimized for detecting
> spyware.
>
> 1. No product is going to be 100% accurate, 100% of the time.
>
> 2. Some products actually will produce false-positive results. Make sure
> you can authenticate what an anti-spyware utility intends to remove.
>
> over and out

Yes, I'm aware that the last three are not configured for spyware, I just
included them for completeness' sake.

I researched vx2 prior to accepting the delete. And Microsoft Antispy
called it a "severe threat". I find it interesting the other leading
products totally missed it, even Ad-aware never caught it in safe mode
reboot scan.

Moe Trin

In article <QkF5e.932876$8l.328884@pd7tw1no>, Leon Trollski wrote:

>I researched vx2 prior to accepting the delete. And Microsoft Antispy
>called it a "severe threat". I find it interesting the other leading
>products totally missed it, even Ad-aware never caught it in safe mode
>reboot scan.

I'm mildly curious - why did you install this mal-ware in the first place?

Or do you think the Virus and Trojan Fairies come by several times a day,
and install the new crap for you?

Old guy

Leon Trollski

"Moe Trin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <QkF5e.932876$8l.328884@pd7tw1no>, Leon Trollski wrote:

> I'm mildly curious - why did you install this mal-ware in the first place?
>
> Or do you think the Virus and Trojan Fairies come by several times a day,
> and install the new crap for you?

Oh yeah, I installed it on purpose. You got me. And then the fairies came
and fulfilled my every desire.

Moe Trin

In article <c9_5e.939099$Xk.845306@pd7tw3no>, Leon Trollski wrote:

>Oh yeah, I installed it on purpose. You got me. And then the fairies came
>and fulfilled my every desire.

Software doesn't appear out of mid-air. While you were wankin off with
the pictures of those fairies, you also managed to click "OK install
it all" . Try disabling auto-install and read the message before
clicking OK.

Old guy

winged

Moe Trin wrote:
> In article <c9_5e.939099$Xk.845306@pd7tw3no>, Leon Trollski wrote:
>

>>Oh yeah, I installed it on purpose. You got me. And then the fairies came
>>and fulfilled my every desire.

> Software doesn't appear out of mid-air. While you were wankin off with
> the pictures of those fairies, you also managed to click "OK install
> it all" . Try disabling auto-install and read the message before
> clicking OK.
>
> Old guy

I have seen code auto run/install on IE, no click required, using cross
zone exploits with activeX. Of course, an argument could be made that
the trusted zone was to liberal.

Winged