Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > protecting folders or files ?

protecting folders or files ?

timmy_

Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not discover
those areas of my harddisk.

Any tips ?
thanks
timmy_

JD

timmy_ wrote:
> Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
> and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not discover
> those areas of my harddisk.
>
> Any tips ?
> thanks
> timmy_

operating system ?

timmy_

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4244690c$0$32612$(E-Mail Removed)...
> timmy_ wrote:
> > Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
> > and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not

discover
> > those areas of my harddisk.
> >
> > Any tips ?
> > thanks
> > timmy_
> >

> operating system ?

sorry. My operating system is Windows XP. : ) NTFS file system on all
drives.

bowgus

If yer talking areas of disk, PartitionMagic 8.0 works with XP and hides
partitions ... the trick would be to hide PMagic from those other people

"timmy_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:424469f6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
> and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not discover
> those areas of my harddisk.
>
> Any tips ?
> thanks
> timmy_

JD

bowgus wrote:
> If yer talking areas of disk, PartitionMagic 8.0 works with XP and hides
> partitions ... the trick would be to hide PMagic from those other people
>
> "timmy_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:424469f6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
>>and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not discover
>>those areas of my harddisk.
>>
>>Any tips ?
>>thanks
>>timmy_

forget that .. use PGP and mount a virtual encrypted drive

I'm a unix user myself and I can just deny access to files and folders
simply by changing permissions .

bowgus

> I'm a unix user myself and I can just deny access to files and folders
> simply by changing permissions.

Simple is right ... root.

bowgus

> sorry. My operating system is Windows XP. : ) NTFS file system on all
> drives.

Ok ... I'm not an M$ fan, but if you are, maybe look into XP Pro with EFS
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...cryptdata.mspx

nemo outis

For Win NT/XP/2k3 Truecrypt permits OTFE encryption on a
"stealth" partition. (Truecrypt itself is extremely well done,
even bombproof - and it's open-source! - but the "stealthiness"
of the "unused" partition will only fool the rankest amateurs.)

Regards,

PS http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/