Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > unable to access internet after upgrading IE

Reply
Thread Tools

unable to access internet after upgrading IE

 
 
kwijybo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2005
Unable to access internet after upgrading IE.

I just recently upgraded from IE4 to IE5 on WIN98.

After the installation, none of the browsers are
able to connect to the internet. When the browsers
are executed, they skip the internet connection sequence
(dialup and modem) and just present with no internet connection.

I am still able to connect to the net by clicking the DUN
icon on the desktop (not real sure if this is what it's
called or not). After the internet connection is established,
the browsers work fine.

I get the same problem with all three browsers: IE, netscape
and firefox. Whatever has happened is obviously not part
of the browser, but somewhere in the DUN connection stuff.

I have uninstalled IE5, but the problem still remains.

Does this sound virusy/trojany or IEish???

Any ideas???

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
donnie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2005
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:30:17 -0500, kwijybo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Unable to access internet after upgrading IE.
>
>I just recently upgraded from IE4 to IE5 on WIN98.
>
>After the installation, none of the browsers are
>able to connect to the internet. When the browsers
>are executed, they skip the internet connection sequence
>(dialup and modem) and just present with no internet connection.
>
>I am still able to connect to the net by clicking the DUN
>icon on the desktop (not real sure if this is what it's
>called or not). After the internet connection is established,
>the browsers work fine.
>
>I get the same problem with all three browsers: IE, netscape
>and firefox. Whatever has happened is obviously not part
>of the browser, but somewhere in the DUN connection stuff.
>
>I have uninstalled IE5, but the problem still remains.
>
>Does this sound virusy/trojany or IEish???
>
>Any ideas???

#############################
It sounds like you have to reset the setting in IE to dail when it
opens. Look in Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Dialup
donnie
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
kwijybo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005
that was it. thanks. the installation had defaulted to "never dial
a connection" which I changed to "always dial my default connection".
duh. stupid me, I was making it more difficult than it should
have been. Why MS should set it up this way, I have no idea.
I hate MS. ha-ha, anybody remember the old "bill gates is god"
thread?

>
>It sounds like you have to reset the setting in IE to dail when it
>opens. Look in Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Dialup
>donnie


 
Reply With Quote
 
donnie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:35:56 -0500, kwijybo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>that was it. thanks. the installation had defaulted to "never dial
>a connection" which I changed to "always dial my default connection".
>duh. stupid me, I was making it more difficult than it should
>have been. Why MS should set it up this way, I have no idea.
>I hate MS. ha-ha, anybody remember the old "bill gates is god"
>thread?

##########################
Actually, some people don't want the browser to dial the connection.
If you don't like MS, switch to Unix. I use both.
donnie.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2005
You waited a very long time to upgrade!

You would be best off to be on IE 6, not IE 5 !

--


Greetings,

Jerry G.
============

"kwijybo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unable to access internet after upgrading IE.
>
> I just recently upgraded from IE4 to IE5 on WIN98.
>
> After the installation, none of the browsers are
> able to connect to the internet. When the browsers
> are executed, they skip the internet connection sequence
> (dialup and modem) and just present with no internet connection.
>
> I am still able to connect to the net by clicking the DUN
> icon on the desktop (not real sure if this is what it's
> called or not). After the internet connection is established,
> the browsers work fine.
>
> I get the same problem with all three browsers: IE, netscape
> and firefox. Whatever has happened is obviously not part
> of the browser, but somewhere in the DUN connection stuff.
>
> I have uninstalled IE5, but the problem still remains.
>
> Does this sound virusy/trojany or IEish???
>
> Any ideas???
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Failed to access IIS metabase" error after upgrading Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro Wayne Erfling ASP .Net Security 0 11-18-2006 03:17 PM
Laptop won't connect to internet after upgrading to SP2 =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55X3dheg==?= Wireless Networking 1 07-31-2005 02:35 AM
Internet Explorer Broken After Windows Update (Can't access Internet Tools, Security Zones Gone) Night Owl Computer Support 11 12-08-2004 08:02 PM
After upgrading I now have 2 wi-fi access points - Can I use both? Arawak Computer Support 5 06-03-2004 12:40 PM
Problems with Connecting to Internet after Upgrading bpgordon Computer Support 2 02-17-2004 05:59 PM



Advertisments