Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Natted IP

Natted IP

Stuart M

I just did a firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com and it found out my
internal ip address. I am behind a Draytek Vigor router and am running XP.
Can anyone advise me on why this is so and what I can do about it? Here is
the text from the site:

Notice!, your natted (or real) IP address is 192.168.1.10. This
information can be used to track your activities. I should not be able to
obtain this information if your security is properly configured!

It does say on another part of the site that disabling Java script stops it
(it does) but I would think my router could also.

I am also a bit puzzled by the fact that I have a range of ports forwarded
to this pc for gaming purposes and both this site and grc.com report them
stealthed even when the game server is running. Any info on this would be
interesting.

Thanks

Stuart

David H. Lipman

Remember that you accessed their site via your web browser. They may have obtained your
internal LAN node address from the web browser. Now if they were asked to port-scan your
WAN address from another location, would they have discerned that internal LAN node address
?

This may be a trick to get you worried to buy some software. Note also that NAT may provide
a simplistic FireWall capability but it is NOT a full FireWall implementation.

--
Dave

"Stuart M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I just did a firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com and it found out my
| internal ip address. I am behind a Draytek Vigor router and am running XP.
| Can anyone advise me on why this is so and what I can do about it? Here is
| the text from the site:
|
| Notice!, your natted (or real) IP address is 192.168.1.10. This
| information can be used to track your activities. I should not be able to
| obtain this information if your security is properly configured!
|

| It does say on another part of the site that disabling Java script stops it
| (it does) but I would think my router could also.
|
| I am also a bit puzzled by the fact that I have a range of ports forwarded
| to this pc for gaming purposes and both this site and grc.com report them
| stealthed even when the game server is running. Any info on this would be
| interesting.
|
| Thanks
|
| Stuart

Steven Wayne

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:08:21 -0000, Stuart M
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just did a firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com and it found out my
> internal ip address. I am behind a Draytek Vigor router and am running XP.
> Can anyone advise me on why this is so and what I can do about it? Here is
> the text from the site:
>
> Notice!, your natted (or real) IP address is 192.168.1.10. This
> information can be used to track your activities. I should not be able to
> obtain this information if your security is properly configured!

So using a browser on your own PC, you displayed your own PC's
IP address.

Why is this a problem?

> It does say on another part of the site that disabling Java script stops it
> (it does) but I would think my router could also.

How, and why would your router stop you displaying your own PC's IP
address?

If you're concerned disable javascript.

Steven
--
.''`.
: :' :

David H. Lipman

I don't trust that site. It's anti malware information is not complete and a couple are
listed here -- http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

--
Dave

| Remember that you accessed their site via your web browser. They may have obtained your
| internal LAN node address from the web browser. Now if they were asked to port-scan your
| WAN address from another location, would they have discerned that internal LAN node
address
| ?
|
| This may be a trick to get you worried to buy some software. Note also that NAT may
provide
| a simplistic FireWall capability but it is NOT a full FireWall implementation.
|
| --
| Dave
|

| "Stuart M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| | I just did a firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com and it found out my
| | internal ip address. I am behind a Draytek Vigor router and am running XP.
| | Can anyone advise me on why this is so and what I can do about it? Here is
| | the text from the site:
| |
| | Notice!, your natted (or real) IP address is 192.168.1.10. This
| | information can be used to track your activities. I should not be able to
| | obtain this information if your security is properly configured!
| |
| |
| | It does say on another part of the site that disabling Java script stops it
| | (it does) but I would think my router could also.
| |
| | I am also a bit puzzled by the fact that I have a range of ports forwarded
| | to this pc for gaming purposes and both this site and grc.com report them
| | stealthed even when the game server is running. Any info on this would be
| | interesting.
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | Stuart
| |
| |

Mike

Stuart M wrote:
> I just did a firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com and it found out my
> internal ip address. I am behind a Draytek Vigor router and am running XP.
> Can anyone advise me on why this is so and what I can do about it? Here is
> the text from the site:
>
> Notice!, your natted (or real) IP address is 192.168.1.10. This
> information can be used to track your activities. I should not be

able to
> obtain this information if your security is properly configured!

I just tried that site using Firefox and it said nothing about my
internal IP. However, using that well known browser called Internet
Explorer, it displayed my internal IP.

So what has that got to do with firewalls? Nothing.

Smoke and mirrors trying to confuse you into buying something no doubt.

> It does say on another part of the site that disabling Java script stops it

There you go

> (it does) but I would think my router could also.

Why?

> I am also a bit puzzled by the fact that I have a range of ports forwarded
> to this pc for gaming purposes and both this site and grc.com report them
> stealthed even when the game server is running. Any info on this would be
> interesting.

Not if the games were not running at the time. Open port but nothing
listening so no response.

--

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted,
submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell.

Bit Twister

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:21:50 +0000, Mike wrote:

> I just tried that site using Firefox and it said nothing about my
> internal IP.

try here
http://gemal.dk/browserspy/

Stuart M

>> I am also a bit puzzled by the fact that I have a range of ports
>> forwarded to this pc for gaming purposes and both this site and grc.com
>> report them stealthed even when the game server is running. Any info on
>> this would be interesting.

> Not if the games were not running at the time. Open port but nothing
> listening so no response.
>
> --

Thanks Mike for the help. It seems I am concerned about nothing. I suppose
when this site told me that "this is bad", I assumed that if its bad then
that expensive box should be stopping it. As you can see I have a very
limited understanding of firewalls!

With regard to the game server, I was talking about when the game is
actually running as a server with ports forwarded too.

Stuart M

> Remember that you accessed their site via your web browser. They may have
> obtained your
> internal LAN node address from the web browser. Now if they were asked
> to port-scan your
> WAN address from another location, would they have discerned that internal
> LAN node address
> ?
>
> This may be a trick to get you worried to buy some software. Note also
> that NAT may provide
> a simplistic FireWall capability but it is NOT a full FireWall
> implementation.

So, it is normal then for your browser to pass this information? The site
makes you think its unheard of. I guess it spooked me because I have never
seen this before.
Thanks David for your help.

regards,

Stuart

Stuart M

"Steven Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:08:21 -0000, Stuart M
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I just did a firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com and it found out
>> my
>> internal ip address. I am behind a Draytek Vigor router and am running
>> XP.
>> Can anyone advise me on why this is so and what I can do about it? Here
>> is
>> the text from the site:
>>
>> Notice!, your natted (or real) IP address is 192.168.1.10. This
>> information can be used to track your activities. I should not be able
>> obtain this information if your security is properly configured!
>>

> So using a browser on your own PC, you displayed your own PC's
> IP address.
>
> Why is this a problem?

I dont know. Hence the original post. It was them wot said it, not me. Seems
you cant trust anyone these days. I bet they just wanted to scare me.

>> It does say on another part of the site that disabling Java script stops
>> it
>> (it does) but I would think my router could also.

> How, and why would your router stop you displaying your own PC's IP
> address?

Ok I'll have a go at this one although I'm obviously wrong. Perhaps you can
tell me where I've gone wrong:

I thought the browser sent a request to the router asking for a webpage,
telling the router to send the data back to 192.168.1.10. The router then
contacts the website and asks for the data, telling the site to send data
back to my external ip . The router then routes the traffic back to the
browser on 192.168.1.10. I thought that the router hides the internal ip
from the WAN.
I dont see why the browser would send out the internal ip to the WAN anyway.

I hope thats not too babbled. Tell me if it is and I'll try again.

> If you're concerned disable javascript.

But should I be? Apparently not. Thank you Steven.

Regards,

Stuart

lee

Stuart M wrote:

>>Remember that you accessed their site via your web browser. They may have
>>obtained your
>>internal LAN node address from the web browser. Now if they were asked
>>to port-scan your
>>WAN address from another location, would they have discerned that internal
>>LAN node address
>>?
>>
>>This may be a trick to get you worried to buy some software. Note also
>>that NAT may provide
>>a simplistic FireWall capability but it is NOT a full FireWall
>>implementation.

> So, it is normal then for your browser to pass this information? The site
> makes you think its unheard of. I guess it spooked me because I have never
> seen this before.
> Thanks David for your help.
>
> regards,
>
> Stuart

Since you clicked on a link allowing them to have access to this
information, in that sense, it's normal. The real question you should
ask yourself is why you'd be spooked that someone knows your IP address.
So what?