Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > AVANT browser

AVANT browser

winged

I have been looking at various browsers. I was looking at secunia
looking at the various browsers and their history of exploits and
current patch levels/fixes.
http://secunia.com/product/4108/

One of the browsers I was looking at was the AVANT browser which appears
to be built on top of the IE core.

Does this browser have all of the exploits of IE? Their stats for AVANT
indicate the only known vulnerability has been page spoofing for the
last 2 major version changes. I find this very hard to believe when it
rides on top of IE.

Thoughts?

Winged

Michael J. Pelletier

winged wrote:

> I have been looking at various browsers. I was looking at secunia
> looking at the various browsers and their history of exploits and
> current patch levels/fixes.
> http://secunia.com/product/4108/
>
> One of the browsers I was looking at was the AVANT browser which appears
> to be built on top of the IE core.
>
> Does this browser have all of the exploits of IE? Their stats for AVANT
> indicate the only known vulnerability has been page spoofing for the
> last 2 major version changes. I find this very hard to believe when it
> rides on top of IE.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Winged

I guess the question is how much of the "core" of IE did they incorporate
into their product. Really when you think about it, I could say the core is
everything except the damn graphical buttons. How clear are they about the
term "core"?

On a personal note, I am not a windows user. However, when I am forced to
use windows I use firefox. I stay the hell away from IE....but that is just
me.

Michael

SteveB

I use Firefox in preference to Avant which I used for about a year with no
problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
miles better than IE.

"Michael J. Pelletier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> winged wrote:
>
>> I have been looking at various browsers. I was looking at secunia
>> looking at the various browsers and their history of exploits and
>> current patch levels/fixes.
>> http://secunia.com/product/4108/
>>
>> One of the browsers I was looking at was the AVANT browser which appears
>> to be built on top of the IE core.
>>
>> Does this browser have all of the exploits of IE? Their stats for AVANT
>> indicate the only known vulnerability has been page spoofing for the
>> last 2 major version changes. I find this very hard to believe when it
>> rides on top of IE.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Winged

> I guess the question is how much of the "core" of IE did they incorporate
> into their product. Really when you think about it, I could say the core
> is
> everything except the damn graphical buttons. How clear are they about the
> term "core"?
>
> On a personal note, I am not a windows user. However, when I am forced to
> use windows I use firefox. I stay the hell away from IE....but that is
> just
> me.
>
> Michael

Robin T Cox

winged <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cts8mm$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have been looking at various browsers. I was looking at secunia
> looking at the various browsers and their history of exploits and
> current patch levels/fixes.
> http://secunia.com/product/4108/
>
> One of the browsers I was looking at was the AVANT browser which appears
> to be built on top of the IE core.
>
> Does this browser have all of the exploits of IE? Their stats for AVANT
> indicate the only known vulnerability has been page spoofing for the
> last 2 major version changes. I find this very hard to believe when it
> rides on top of IE.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Winged

Beware. For example -

<quote>
Does Avant support the new features of the Windows XP SP2 security update?

Yes & no. Out of the box, Avant does not recognize the SP2 update features.
However there are two methods to get around this:
1. Rename the Avant Browser executible in the Avant Browser program
directory from avant.exe to iexplore.exe Or...
2. There is also a simple registry tweak that can be made. See here for
details and DrDrrae has posted a .reg file to do this automatically.
</quote>

(from the Avant FAQ, as posted on the Avant Forums:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?t=8529)

winged

I have done more testing but obviously I need to perform more, but the
odd thing I have found so far is that AVANT "appears" to be immune to
"some" of the unpatched exploits I have found for IE.

Yes I am a firefox fan too. My problem with Firefox is it is difficult
to manage in a network environment. It is difficult to lock down and
controlling what plug-ins one chooses to allow users to use is
difficult. Firefox is the other leader of my testing candidates.

Avant "appears" to be much easier to manage using MS SMS. Locking
allowed plug-ins fairly simple.

I am evaluating these alternatives specifically to provide a browsing
solution that is secure and reduces maintenance issues. With IE having
serious security issues now for some months that remain unpatched, I
have grown weary having to have valuable help desk personnel removing
the spyware crud from machines. I am seeing way too many incidents (1
is too many in my environment) of drive by shootings that use IE
exploits to install crud on our users desktops. Additionally some of
the spyware is getting very sophisticated in their communications and is
getting very difficult to detect, block and prohibit. I takes way too
much time figuring out how to prevent future infections. I need my time
looking for real black hats and not spend my time figuring out the
current insertion points that some bright boy has conceived.

My evaluation model, evaluation weight is on security more than features.

IE has 20 unpatched with highest vulnerabilities rated highly critical
(meaning the system can be compromised from a web page)

Firefox has 5 unpatched vulnerabilities with highest vulnerability
rated moderately critical (browser is susceptible to hijack)

Avant has 1 unpatched vulnerability (same vulnerability in last 2
versions). The vulnerability is site spoofing and other candidates have
same reported vulnerability.

Firefoxes block mechanisms are easy to use from a central management
perspective (ie registry entries) and users can choose their own
additions (easy) above and beyond what the gods have already chosen to
block.

While I prefer firefox personally, and never had a problem, I have to
use security and management capabilities as my guide for business use.

The only two issues I have found with avant is it always sets itself as
default browser irrespective of checking no when asked. The second
issue is it is closed source and may only be around as long as the
author writes for it. Firefox has major advantage of being open source
and modifiable for the foreseeable future.

I am looking for feedback on security issues with Avant product that I
am unaware of. As of yet I have yet to find an exploit that mirrors
those in IE.

Winged

SteveB wrote:
> I use Firefox in preference to Avant which I used for about a year with no
> problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
> options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
> miles better than IE.
>

> "Michael J. Pelletier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>winged wrote:
>>

>>>I have been looking at various browsers. I was looking at secunia
>>>looking at the various browsers and their history of exploits and
>>>current patch levels/fixes.
>>>http://secunia.com/product/4108/
>>>
>>>One of the browsers I was looking at was the AVANT browser which appears
>>>to be built on top of the IE core.
>>>
>>>Does this browser have all of the exploits of IE? Their stats for AVANT
>>> indicate the only known vulnerability has been page spoofing for the
>>>last 2 major version changes. I find this very hard to believe when it
>>>rides on top of IE.
>>>
>>>Thoughts?
>>>
>>>Winged

>>I guess the question is how much of the "core" of IE did they incorporate
>>into their product. Really when you think about it, I could say the core
>>is
>>everything except the damn graphical buttons. How clear are they about the
>>term "core"?
>>
>>On a personal note, I am not a windows user. However, when I am forced to
>>use windows I use firefox. I stay the hell away from IE....but that is
>>just
>>me.
>>
>>Michael

Michael J. Pelletier

winged wrote:

> I have done more testing but obviously I need to perform more, but the
> odd thing I have found so far is that AVANT "appears" to be immune to
> "some" of the unpatched exploits I have found for IE.
>
> Yes I am a firefox fan too. My problem with Firefox is it is difficult
> to manage in a network environment. It is difficult to lock down and
> controlling what plug-ins one chooses to allow users to use is
> difficult. Firefox is the other leader of my testing candidates.
>
> Avant "appears" to be much easier to manage using MS SMS. Locking
> allowed plug-ins fairly simple.
>
> I am evaluating these alternatives specifically to provide a browsing
> solution that is secure and reduces maintenance issues. With IE having
> serious security issues now for some months that remain unpatched, I
> have grown weary having to have valuable help desk personnel removing
> the spyware crud from machines. I am seeing way too many incidents (1
> is too many in my environment) of drive by shootings that use IE
> exploits to install crud on our users desktops. Additionally some of
> the spyware is getting very sophisticated in their communications and is
> getting very difficult to detect, block and prohibit. I takes way too
> much time figuring out how to prevent future infections. I need my time
> looking for real black hats and not spend my time figuring out the
> current insertion points that some bright boy has conceived.
>
> My evaluation model, evaluation weight is on security more than features.
>
> IE has 20 unpatched with highest vulnerabilities rated highly critical
> (meaning the system can be compromised from a web page)
>
> Firefox has 5 unpatched vulnerabilities with highest vulnerability
> rated moderately critical (browser is susceptible to hijack)
>
> Avant has 1 unpatched vulnerability (same vulnerability in last 2
> versions). The vulnerability is site spoofing and other candidates have
> same reported vulnerability.
>
> Firefoxes block mechanisms are easy to use from a central management
> perspective (ie registry entries) and users can choose their own
> additions (easy) above and beyond what the gods have already chosen to
> block.
>
> While I prefer firefox personally, and never had a problem, I have to
> use security and management capabilities as my guide for business use.
>
> The only two issues I have found with avant is it always sets itself as
> default browser irrespective of checking no when asked. The second
> issue is it is closed source and may only be around as long as the
> author writes for it. Firefox has major advantage of being open source
> and modifiable for the foreseeable future.
>
> I am looking for feedback on security issues with Avant product that I
> am unaware of. As of yet I have yet to find an exploit that mirrors
> those in IE.

Ah...but does anything mirror IE when it comes to exploits?

Michael

> Winged
>

> SteveB wrote:
>> I use Firefox in preference to Avant which I used for about a year with
>> no
>> problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
>> options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
>> miles better than IE.
>>

>> "Michael J. Pelletier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>>I guess the question is how much of the "core" of IE did they incorporate
>>>into their product. Really when you think about it, I could say the core
>>>is
>>>everything except the damn graphical buttons. How clear are they about
>>>the term "core"?
>>>
>>>On a personal note, I am not a windows user. However, when I am forced to
>>>use windows I use firefox. I stay the hell away from IE....but that is
>>>just
>>>me.
>>>
>>>Michael

Michael J. Pelletier

winged wrote:

> [...]
>
> Winged
>

> SteveB wrote:
>> I use Firefox in preference to Avant which I used for about a year with
>> no
>> problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
>> options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
>> miles better than IE.
>>

>> "Michael J. Pelletier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>>I guess the question is how much of the "core" of IE did they incorporate
>>>into their product. Really when you think about it, I could say the core
>>>is
>>>everything except the damn graphical buttons. How clear are they about
>>>the term "core"?
>>>
>>>On a personal note, I am not a windows user. However, when I am forced to
>>>use windows I use firefox. I stay the hell away from IE....but that is

You might want to hold off on making a desion as Firefox announced that they
were releasing version 2 soon. Some of the features were to address exactly
what you have said. User and Patch management! Check out the article....

From:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...5&sid=96120760

Firefox also will need centralized management to conquer the corporate
space, said Craig Roth, Meta Group analyst.

"If you have 10,000 desktops, you're going to want a centralized way to
deploy patches," he told NewsFactor. "No one will run around with a disk
just because they like Firefox."

Michael

winged

Michael J. Pelletier wrote:
> [...]
>>>no
>>>problems. Avant is nice to use and has built in ad and popup blocking
>>>options plus an easy quick way of turning off ActiveX and scripts so it's
>>>miles better than IE.
>>>

>>>"Michael J. Pelletier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> You might want to hold off on making a desion as Firefox announced that they
> were releasing version 2 soon. Some of the features were to address exactly
> what you have said. User and Patch management! Check out the article....
>
> From:
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...5&sid=96120760
>
> Firefox also will need centralized management to conquer the corporate
> space, said Craig Roth, Meta Group analyst.
>
> "If you have 10,000 desktops, you're going to want a centralized way to
> deploy patches," he told NewsFactor. "No one will run around with a disk

Thanks, article provided useful information.
Winged

Michael J. Pelletier

winged wrote:

> [...]
>>>am unaware of. As of yet I have yet to find an exploit that mirrors
>>>those in IE.
>>>
>>>Winged

>> You might want to hold off on making a desion as Firefox announced that
>> they were releasing version 2 soon. Some of the features were to address
>> exactly what you have said. User and Patch management! Check out the
>> article....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...5&sid=96120760

>> Firefox also will need centralized management to conquer the corporate
>> space, said Craig Roth, Meta Group analyst.
>>
>> "If you have 10,000 desktops, you're going to want a centralized way to
>> deploy patches," he told NewsFactor. "No one will run around with a disk
>> just because they like Firefox."
>>
>> Michael

> Thanks, article provided useful information.

Sure anytime....

Michael

Dave Baker

>>>The only two issues I have found with avant is it always sets itself as
>>>default browser irrespective of checking no when asked. The second
>>>issue is it is closed source and may only be around as long as the
>>>author writes for it. Firefox has major advantage of being open source
>>>and modifiable for the foreseeable future.
>>>
>>>I am looking for feedback on security issues with Avant product that I
>>>am unaware of.

I've used Avant for ages now. No security issues that I have found, but a lot
of incompatibilities with websites. Not enough for me to stop using it, but
enough to need a copy of IE on hand.

Yesterday I was trying to order some software from a website & couldn't for
the life of me figure out how to add items to the shopping cart. Fired up IE
& it showed the page quite differently, with 2 "Add to cart" buttons staring
me in the face - not visible at all in Avant.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.

Avant Browser more secure than Firefox west488 Firefox 1 06-19-2005 07:13 PM
Avant Browser errors when clearing records ... T. Denford Computer Support 3 04-16-2005 07:26 PM
Avant browser and MyIE2 browser becoming increasingly popular. Issues? xyZed HTML 9 05-12-2004 09:50 AM
Avant Browser Sharon Computer Support 13 11-03-2003 09:23 PM
Avant browser and AdShield Computer Support 0 11-02-2003 08:42 PM

Advertisments