Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Neotrace program snoops on me

Neotrace program snoops on me

Vanguard

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:01:37 -0800, "Michael J. Pelletier"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately I am not familiar with the application or
>>how it works.

> Then why try and answer a question where as usual you know ****
> all.
>
> Neotrace was distributed as a sort of shareware deal where
> you were encouraged to pay money for an updated version and
> it downloaded map information and upgrades from its company
> site. The product was bought by McAfee and seems to have
> been dumped, but presumably the adddress in the legacy program
> belongs to them now.
>
> As the program worked quite well and did not expire, I'd carry on
> using it and don't worry about any activity as its not a problem.
>
> Unless anyone can suggest a good freeware replacement for it?
>
> The earlier version of Neotrace had a nicer interface than the later
> one where I think they were keener to sell the full version so cut the
> free one down a lot.

Neotrace became Visual Trace after McAfee bought it which is in their Internet Security package (from their user guide at http://us.mcafee.com/common/en-us/re...userGuide.asp).

I use Visualware's VisualRoute (go to http://www.mycooltools.com/). It's free. Nothing to download. Just use a browser.

Tiny Toes

Vanguard wrote:

> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:00:03 -0600, "Vanguard"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Yeah, so? That only gives him the IP address if he enters an IP name.
> >>How does that discover and provide the mapping info between his host and the target host?

> > It maintains a cache of data and it queries whois servers to find
> > out the details of where the IP's are supposed to be located

> By "it" do you mean McAfee's cache of data? DNS lookups and traceroutes don't return WhoIs info (or do they with some other parameter?), so I have to go lookup the WhoIs records separately myself to find out WHERE that hop in the route *might* be located. So NeoTrace and VisualRoute apparently try to combine the two step (traceroute and whois lookup) into a graphical application showing a geographical map of the route.

Thanks to all the posts. To clarify, the version I use is: Neotrace Pro
v3.1.9.0., purchased in 2001. As already noted in this thread, it gives
a GUI of the nodes traversed between the client and the looked-up IP
address. There's also a wealth of of look-up options.

Everytime I run it, even /before/ I do any look-ups, it send /something/
back to McAfee. Anyway this /something/ is blocked now. But if anyone
out there has this program and the technical withal to find out what is
sent i'd be oblged.

Leythos

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:19:30 +0000, Tiny Toes wrote:

> Vanguard wrote:
>>
>> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > It maintains a cache of data and it queries whois servers to find
>> > out the details of where the IP's are supposed to be located

>> By "it" do you mean McAfee's cache of data? DNS lookups and traceroutes don't return WhoIs info (or do they with some other parameter?), so I have to go lookup the WhoIs records separately myself to find out WHERE that hop in the route *might* be located. So NeoTrace and VisualRoute apparently try to combine the two step (traceroute and whois lookup) into a graphical application showing a geographical map of the route.

> Thanks to all the posts. To clarify, the version I use is: Neotrace Pro
> v3.1.9.0., purchased in 2001. As already noted in this thread, it gives
> a GUI of the nodes traversed between the client and the looked-up IP
> address. There's also a wealth of of look-up options.
>
> Everytime I run it, even /before/ I do any look-ups, it send /something/
> back to McAfee. Anyway this /something/ is blocked now. But if anyone
> out there has this program and the technical withal to find out what is
> sent i'd be oblged.

I use a licensed copy of VisualRoute and it's setup to pull the latest
global information from the VR vendor. Could it be the same for yours?

remove 999 in order to email me

Jim Watt

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:08:15 -0600, "Vanguard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:00:03 -0600, "Vanguard"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, so? That only gives him the IP address if he enters an IP name.
>>>How does that discover and provide the mapping info between his host and the target host?

>> It maintains a cache of data and it queries whois servers to find
>> out the details of where the IP's are supposed to be located

>By "it" do you mean McAfee's cache of data? DNS lookups and traceroutes don't return
>WhoIs info (or do they with some other parameter?), so I have to go lookup the WhoIs records
>separately myself to find out WHERE that hop in the route *might* be located.
>So NeoTrace and VisualRoute apparently try to combine the two step
>(traceroute and whois lookup) into a graphical application showing a
>geographical map of the route.

That sounds a good explanation of what it does; however Neotrace
did maintain a local cache of IP addresses which needed to be
manually purged on occasion.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Vanguard

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:19:30 +0000, Tiny Toes wrote:
>
> I use a licensed copy of VisualRoute and it's setup to pull the latest
> global information from the VR vendor. Could it be the same for yours?

That's what I figured, that the client *program* had to get updates as whois/geographical records or maybe just checking if there is an update to the program. Neotrace is now Visual Trace at McAfee which is a component in their Internet Suite product. The OP should ask McAfee at http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&resolution=1024x768 (pick a product, category, and whatever to eventually get a button for Live Chat) or visit their forums at http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/mymcafeehelp.asp for a community more focused on the product he is using.

Hassan I Sahba

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:44:48 +0100, Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way>
wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:01:37 -0800, "Michael J. Pelletier"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately I am not familiar with the application or
>>how it works.

>Then why try and answer a question where as usual you know ****
>all.
>
>Neotrace was distributed as a sort of shareware deal where
>you were encouraged to pay money for an updated version and
>it downloaded map information and upgrades from its company
>site. The product was bought by McAfee and seems to have
>been dumped, but presumably the adddress in the legacy program
>belongs to them now.
>
>As the program worked quite well and did not expire, I'd carry on
>using it and don't worry about any activity as its not a problem.
>
>Unless anyone can suggest a good freeware replacement for it?

Maybe this?
http://www.hlembke.de/prod/3dtraceroute/

HiS

Don Kelloway

"Tiny Toes" <"mimimi"@pqw67$!.pn> wrote in message
news:41ff689f$0$19079$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A little way back I installed a trace program with a GUI called Neotrace
> by Neoworx inc, subsequently the program was bought out by a well-known
> security firm. I rarely use the program unless i get consistently pinged
> by a site.
>
> I found out that every time i use this program it tries to contact an
> address in the following range:
>
> 216.49.80.0
> 216.49.81.255
>
> I am somewhat annoyed at this. The whole point of shelling out money for
> the program in the first place was security and privacy!
>
> Short of blocking these ip addresses, which I've done, there doesn't
> seem much else to do. Any ideas? TIA.

NeoTrace as well as NeoLite (both from NeoWorx) were bought by McAfee in
December, 2001. Though NeoTrace later became known as McAfee Visual Trace,
what was NeoLite disappeared from the planet.

Now in regards to the subject of NeoTrace establishing an outbound
connection to McAfee (216.49.80.0 through 216.49.81.255) I don't think
there's anything insecure about it updating a cookie and from a quick packet
capture that is all it's doing.

In summary and if you want to prevent this from occurring, simply continue
blocking all outbound connectivity to the netblock in question and be done
with it.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security