Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > I have been asked to leave the company for having spotted serious security breaches

I have been asked to leave the company for having spotted serious security breaches

Jim Watt

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:53:51 -0500, "Curious George"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> It has never been clear what the topology of your situation was.

As I commented, a good move will not hurt you.

Although we are all in the business of solving problems, sometimes
the best personal solution is to make them someone elses.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Bill Unruh

"Curious George" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Its not the kids. The kids are dead easy to get on board. Indeed, if you
>take a few kids and tell them to help you check out your security, you would
>have to put up gates. But that is not the case in schools - forget about

I am sure.

>the fact that if you take a curious young mind that is having problems with
>something like math and put them to work on complex algos or something of
>the sort. . . doing that is akin to asking them to sell coke and people
>would be fired. Actually, if you pick up a copy of 2600 you will see a
>whole section dedicated to what some kids go through in schools. Hell, if a
>kid found a security hole and it were up to me, I would pin a medal on him
>or her. If its up to school administration, they would have the kid
>expelled.

Yes, I know. It is silly. Kids learn by playing. Yes, sometimes they go too
far and have to be reigned in, but playing is what they need to do and
should do.

>> Do they really want the kids to be able to pull up their own or othr kid's
>> files and read them, or even alter them? Ie, you need a really strong
>> firewall between the admin stuff and the "play" stuff. And you want any
>> access of the admin stuff from the play or from outside to be encrypted.

>Pipe dreams are all that is. Schools are full of so many people that want
>to bury their heads in the sand and avoid any problems that they would
>rather have everything exposed. Now they are not going to come out and say

The biggest problem is that all this stuff gets loaded onto teachers who do
not have eitehr the time or expertise to handle the stuff. I am astonished
that your school has a paid sysadmin. It must be some sort of private
school.

Agent_C

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:21:40 -0500, "Curious George"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dear Colleagues:

<merciful snip>

Based on these two posts, I can safely say that if you reported to me,
I'd fire you as well.

A_C

Agent_C ((E-Mail Removed))[Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:45:04 -0500]:
>Based on these two posts, I can safely say that if you reported to me,
>I'd fire you as well.

But then you have this piece of TP on your shoes to haunt your efforts:

>From http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Wed Oct 15 01:24:43 2003
>From: Agent_C <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Newsgroups: alt.binaries.warez.pocketpc,alt.binaries.warez.poc ketpc.gps,
> alt.binaries.warez.windowsce
>Subject: Re: FREE SOFTWARE REQUESTS- BETTER GET ON THIS!!!
>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:46:22 -0400
>
>On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:13:33 GMT, "KINGLIFER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>you may begin now.

>Dare I be so bold, my master:
>
>PocketWatch?
>
><bow>
>
>A_C

Agent_C

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:51:37 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) () wrote:

>But then you have this piece of TP on your shoes to haunt your efforts:

No, not really.

?

A_C

Curious George

Well, based on these two posts, if I reported to you, yes you may have the
option to fire me. . . but six months from now when your entire network is
taken down, when all of your records are out in the open, when all of the
information contained in your organization is out in the open because some
kid with a laptop, a freakin can of pringles, and a little imagination, not
to mention the ability to pick up a book and read a little bit of something,
then maybe, just maybe you would be the one out of a job, as in blackballed
forever.

For me, I can always get another job because at least I tried to improve the
situation, for closed minds like the ones I have had to report to, the only
answer is to change your identity and pray that it never surfaces again.

Curious George

"Agent_C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:21:40 -0500, "Curious George"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Dear Colleagues:

> <merciful snip>
>
> Based on these two posts, I can safely say that if you reported to me,
> I'd fire you as well.
>
> A_C

Agent_C

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:46:40 -0500, "Curious George"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, based on these two posts, if I reported to you, yes you may have the
>option to fire me. . . but six months from now when your entire network is
>taken down, when all of your records are out in the open, when all of the
>information contained in your organization is out in the open because some
>kid with a laptop, a freakin can of pringles, and a little imagination, not
>to mention the ability to pick up a book and read a little bit of something,
>then maybe, just maybe you would be the one out of a job, as in blackballed
>forever.
>
>For me, I can always get another job because at least I tried to improve the
>situation, for closed minds like the ones I have had to report to, the only
>answer is to change your identity and pray that it never surfaces again.

You know; you're far too fascinated with yourself for your own good.

A_C

Curious George

Wait. . .

Let me get this straight. An employee comes to you and says "hey, we have a
huge security hole, we need to patch it and quick"

You ignore him, completely.

Then you fire him?

What the hell sort of world do you work in?

CC

"Agent_C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:21:40 -0500, "Curious George"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Dear Colleagues:

> <merciful snip>
>
> Based on these two posts, I can safely say that if you reported to me,
> I'd fire you as well.
>
> A_C

Curious George

Sorry Bill. . . paid full time sys admins are very, very, very much in the
public system and its sad that a lot of us folks have to deal with the sort
of nonsense that we do.

CC

"Bill Unruh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cttnjm$fsk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Curious George" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>Its not the kids. The kids are dead easy to get on board. Indeed, if you
>>take a few kids and tell them to help you check out your security, you
>>would
>>have to put up gates. But that is not the case in schools - forget about

> I am sure.
>
>>the fact that if you take a curious young mind that is having problems
>>with
>>something like math and put them to work on complex algos or something of
>>the sort. . . doing that is akin to asking them to sell coke and people
>>would be fired. Actually, if you pick up a copy of 2600 you will see a
>>whole section dedicated to what some kids go through in schools. Hell, if
>>kid found a security hole and it were up to me, I would pin a medal on him
>>or her. If its up to school administration, they would have the kid
>>expelled.

> Yes, I know. It is silly. Kids learn by playing. Yes, sometimes they go
> too
> far and have to be reigned in, but playing is what they need to do and
> should do.
>

>>> Do they really want the kids to be able to pull up their own or othr
>>> kid's
>>> files and read them, or even alter them? Ie, you need a really strong
>>> firewall between the admin stuff and the "play" stuff. And you want any
>>> access of the admin stuff from the play or from outside to be encrypted.

>>Pipe dreams are all that is. Schools are full of so many people that want
>>to bury their heads in the sand and avoid any problems that they would
>>rather have everything exposed. Now they are not going to come out and
>>say

> The biggest problem is that all this stuff gets loaded onto teachers who
> do
> not have eitehr the time or expertise to handle the stuff. I am astonished
> that your school has a paid sysadmin. It must be some sort of private
> school.

Agent_C

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:49:37 -0500, "Curious George"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What the hell sort of world do you work in?

You completely miss the point. I'll bet you do all the time and THAT's
why you get on the wrong side of your superiors.

Bottom line, is that I'm sure you're perceived as a annoying little
brat, who isn't nearly as brilliant as you think you are.

"A Little Knowledge Is Dangerous" -Voltaire, 1777

A_C