Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Trend Micro Anyone

Trend Micro Anyone

Anonymous99

So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

Adrian

On 26 Jan 2005 22:05:34 -0800, "Anonymous99"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
>trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
>whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
>firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
>i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

Lol, if you were taken down by several noobs (probably script
kiddies), then you had the settings set wrong . Noobs don't know
Nortons vulnerabilities in general, and anyway, why not keep the
norton antivirus software? Sure, you had a bad experience with the
firewall, but why not just get Zonealarm Pro, and use the Nortons
Antivirus. That is a setup I recommend for most people who ask, as it
is simple but extrememly effective.

Adrian

Anonymous99

Im to the sharpest point concerned about system resources and i am 90%
sure i had settings correct since after i got some files jacked led me
to want vengance against those bloody bastards. This led me on a quest
of going underground and learning everything i could even visual basic
programming which has nothing to do with security. Also norton ran so
many extra apps that even my 512mb of ram was gasping for air.
Trendmicro demo cd that i got with my new motherboard ran with few
extras but hardened windows like crazy.

Jay Calvert

Anonymous99 wrote:
> So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
> trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
> whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
> firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
> i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

In recent months it seems that Trend Micro is one of the last to hit the
market with updated definition files. They used to be tops, but have
fallen behind with their CPR (Controlled Pattern Releases, waiting to
release an update until they have several).

I personally like what McAfee are doing, with their Security Center, if
you want virus protection, firewall and spam and spyware protection, it
adds up, but at least you can manage it all in one area.

Jay Calvert
http://habaneronetworks.com

David H. Lipman

The problem with TrendMicro is their poor quality support when it comes to submitting virus
samples and having Trend post new Pattern Files that will detect the submitted samples.

I have performed several tests in submitting known infected samples (e.g., Gaobot and SDBot
variants) to Trend and they have taken upwards to 6 weeks for a Pattern File to be created
to recognize the sample infector. If I submit a sample to McAfee/AVERT Webimmune I can
expect an interim DAT file (EXTRA.DAT) within minutes to 24 hours after submission. (worse
case scenario was 72 hours for an Adware sample). McAfee will then include the signature(s)
in the next weekly scheduled update.

--
Dave

"Anonymous99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
| So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
| trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
| whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
| firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
| i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

J. S. Jackson

Anonymous99 wrote:

> Im to the sharpest point concerned resourcestem resources and i am 90%
> sure i had settings correct since after i got some files jacked led me
> to want vengance against those bloody bastards. This led me on a quest
> of going underground and learning everything i could even visual basic
> programming which has nothing to do with security. Also norton ran so
> many extra apps that even my 512mb of ram was gasping for air.
> Trendmicro demo cd that i got with my new motherboard ran with few
> extras but hardened windows like crazy.

This stuff is really pretty light as far as system resources go, I thought.
Unless you have a real POS. The RAM is there to use. That's why you have
it? As long as RAM is available, Windows will be in no rush to swap stuff
out.

It does noticeably slow down disk access though, from scanning every damn
file. I hate that.

--
J. S. Jackson

Anonymous99

So to speed disk read up would disabling every file scan in real time
to just specified files, might that help to make things a bit easier on
my computer. Cause i open my documents and program files, and there is
a huge latency problem from when i click to when i can have access to
the files.

David H. Lipman

That would be fool hardy and is contraindicated. "On Access" scanning is a very important
part of protection. If it is truly slowing the system down, if possible, change the setting
from "all file types" to "default file types". This way not every file will be scanned,
just those files that are most likely to be infected will be scanned.

--
Dave

"Anonymous99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
| So to speed disk read up would disabling every file scan in real time
| to just specified files, might that help to make things a bit easier on
| my computer. Cause i open my documents and program files, and there is
| a huge latency problem from when i click to when i can have access to
| the files.

donnie

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So ive meandering the internet looking for something anything on
>trendmicro and now im here. Anyways anybody have any comments on
>whether or not trendmicro is a good company to purchase anti-virus and
>firewall software from. I totally got taken down by several nooobs when
>i had norton so im avoiding them at all cost.

The guys on the 'Personal Computer Show' here in NY recoomend it and
have had them on as guests amny times. BTW, that show is on a
listener sponsored station, so there is no conflict of interest.
donnie.