Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

Cdon

Kerry Liles wrote:
> I would recommend turning OFF this DNS Client service.
> The DNS client will cache dns lookups ...

My experience was that I turned off DNS caching in Windows XP following
instructions at http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBN/tip6500/rh6540.htm and at
other sites such as http://www.pcmech.com/show/optimize/677/10 and
http://www.g4techtv.com/techtvvault/...Broadband.html

When I rebooted, I didn't have any net connections.

Of course, because booting takes so long on my system (dunno why), I
broke the cardinal rule and changed many things at once, hoping to save
time by killing two birds with one stone.

Boy, was I sorry.

I ended up having to turn ON ALL MY SERVICES just to get connectivity
back.

Even after googling for help, I *still* don't know which winxp services
should be disabled for a "normal" home cable-modem-with-wireless-router
portable PC user ... but I, for one, leave that darn DNS caching on for
now!

Cdon

BTW, I looked this problem up in the microsoft private nntp newsgroups.
Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
Account name: privatenews\spyware
Password: spyware (the password is case-sensitive)

It looks like a lot of people installing the new microsoft antispyware
beta download on Windows XP have experienced the same issue originally
reported to this newsgroup.
> Windows Installer
> The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
> This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode,
> or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
> Contact your support personnel for assistance.

The solution suggested in those Microsoft private nntp newsgroups is to
set the "WINDOWS INSTALLER" service to "Automatic" but I just set the
windows installer service to manual and then started that service
hoping that would work to install the spyware program from Microsoft.

Far Canal

Cdon wrote

> Even after googling for help, I *still* don't know which winxp services
> should be disabled for a "normal" home cable-modem-with-wireless-router
> portable PC user ... but I, for one, leave that darn DNS caching on for
> now!

Here's the site you want
http://www.blackviper.com/

Hanson White

> Here's the site you want
> http://www.blackviper.com/

I learned this shortcut from black viper.
Run this whenever an installation program fails.
Start ---> Run ---> cmd ---> OK
Type into the command window:
c:\> net start Windows Installer

Orak Listalavostok

> Run this whenever an installation program fails.
> Start ---> Run ---> cmd ---> OK
> Type into the command window:
> c:\> net start Windows Installer

It didn't work.
First, it gave me this directory instead of the root directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Second, it gave this error:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net start windows installer
The service name is invalid.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

So I followed instructions and typed:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net helpmsg 2185
which returned:
The service name is invalid.
EXPLANATION
You tried to start a service that is not configured on this system.
ACTION
Check the spelling of the service name or check the configuration
information for the service using the Services option from Server
Manager.
auuurwewwwqh ... Why isn't Microsoft software ever user friendly?

Windows Security Expert

On 8 Jan 2005 14:10:00 -0800, "Orak Listalavostok"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Run this whenever an installation program fails.
>> Start ---> Run ---> cmd ---> OK
>> Type into the command window:
>> c:\> net start Windows Installer

>C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net start windows installer
>The service name is invalid.
>auuurwewwwqh ... Why isn't Microsoft software ever user friendly?

It's simple.

The Microsoft XP toy operating system is totally unable to handle the
spaces in your directory names. Even though Microsoft "says" they can
handle spaces, they can't (obviously, as you found out).

You MUST keep all commands to 8 characters or fewer.

So, my advice is just remove the spaces & you'll be happier.
For example:
NET START WINDOW~1

Mark Randall

2 words...

"Use Quotes"

net start "windows installer"

Would you care to rename yourself to something more fitting? for example "I
still havent realised that I shouldent still be using command.com on NT"?

- Mark Randall

Windows Security Novice wrote:
> The Microsoft XP toy operating system is totally unable to handle the
> spaces in your directory names. Even though Microsoft "says" they can
> handle spaces, they can't (obviously, as you found out).
>
> You MUST keep all commands to 8 characters or fewer.
>
> So, my advice is just remove the spaces & you'll be happier.
> For example:
> NET START WINDOW~1

Windows Security Expert

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:44:22 -0000, "Mark Randall"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>net start "windows installer"
>"I still havent realised that I shouldent still be using command.com on NT"?
>- Mark Randall

Hi Mark and the person who needed the help.
I was only trying to help.
In general, you can either use the quotes or shorten all names to
8 characters using a ~1 or ~2 or ~3 in them to get them to work.
I don't know why it wouldn't work this time, maybe you need
a ~2 (I've seen that sometimes but never could figure out why).

But Mark is right even more than I am.
Just use spaces around the long name instead of shortening the
name to 8 characters with the tilde designation.

Oh, Mark,
I don't get the command.com statement.
I never use command.com any more than I use autoexec.bat or
config.sys.

Orak Listalavostok

> >net start "windows installer"

Yeeee haa!
That worked like a charming snake!

Now finally the Microsoft Spyware program is working.

None of the other suggestions worked though.
But no matter.
Thank you all very much for the help.

Orak Listalavostok

Mark Randall

"Windows Security Expert":
> Oh, Mark,
> I don't get the command.com statement.
> I never use command.com any more than I use autoexec.bat or
> config.sys.

Hi,

Firstly, ~1 ~2 etc is for folders and files that need to be unique, for
example::

Real Name Dos Name
Somefolder 1 Somefo~1
Somefolder 2 Somefo~2

This allows access to every folder, instead of just the Somefolder 1.

Secondly, the command.com statement is regarding your 8 bytes or less:

There are 2 types of command line system, 'cmd.exe' and 'command.com' - the
cmd.exe is the user command line interface, and command.com is the OS's
internal system and is therefore easier to use to break into things - for
example the cmd.exe can be disabled by a administrative setting and it will
say 'permission denied by administrator' - command.com has no such checks
and will execute with the highest privileges.

Now as for my actual use of the line, cmd.exe easily supports things such
as:
cd documents and settings\mark\my documents\
cd being an wrapper of 'chdir' - change directory.
If you type (from cmd.exe) cd /? you will see how it says that it does not
treat spaces as new 'tokens' - Tokens are what splits up arguments and are
usually whitespaces: space, tab, return etc.

However, if you do cd /? from command.com its a whole different story -
command.com does NOT support longer file names and its basically calling
system commands using every set of privileges it can get its hands on - and
allowing the user input to the file its running which 'takes over' - unlike
cmd.exe which simply 'wraps' the running command. - Notice how you can shut
cmd.exe down via alt + F4 but trying to do that to command.com and it simply
refuses to die until the kernel decides its timed out and kills it.

In short:
Command.com - the old school 'kick NT security in the ass' tool - that uses
a limited set (and by most means DIFFERENT) set of commands to:
cmd.exe - The 'real' user command line interface

The main thing is, a single command string has to be parsed into its
arguments, in programming, where all the arguments are known we use the
comma, but we have powerful tools that help with this. In command line it
has to be a split character, the shell uses the whitespace " " character
because it makes more sense as 90% of the time you will only need to input
single-token arguments such as:

execsys -p:runsystem file:myfile.exe

Although I presume the better example for you based on your name would be
the cacls command line.

Now being a computer, the interpretter does not know what you want - so it
has to take each item as its own - to solve the problem of having spaces
they then introduced the ability to put in " " to contain strings to make it
easier for a user.

A rediculously long explenation for something thats pretty simple, but hope
it helps.

- MR

Using XP 'cmd.exe' actions such as cd <pathname> can easily allow use spaces
in names