Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

Orak Listalavostok

QUESTION: Which service does Microsoft AntiSpyware beta download
require?

I validated my Windows XP license at the Microsoft spyware downloads
web site (www.microsoft.com/spyware) & downloaded the free "Microsoft
AntiSpyware" version 1.0 BETA onto my home Windows XP SP2 computer.

I double-clicked on the program MicrosoftAntiSpywareInstall.exe.

Up comes this error message (every time):
Windows Installer
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode,
or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Unfortunately, I _am_ my support personnel.

I am logged in as "administrator"; I am NOT running in Safe Mode; and,
most importantly, I've installed scores of programs and never received
this error message.

I recently disabled certain services suggested in the
http://www.tweakxp.com web pages (Start==>Run==>services.msc /s) web
pages as being not needed.

Perhaps the MS AntiSpyware beta requires a particular service to be
started.

I'd be glad to temporarily turn on a service needed for installation.
But which service would this Microsoft AntiSpyware beta download
require?

Orak Listalavostok

Novena di'Domina

"Orak Listalavostok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I recently disabled certain services suggested in the
> http://www.tweakxp.com web pages (Start==>Run==>services.msc /s) web
> pages as being not needed.

I too have this same problem after following instructions at
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx which tell you which unnecessary
Microsoft services to disable.

Disable unnecessary services to free system resources Views: 981,076 | Avg.
Rating: 3 out of 5 (1667 Votes) | Print

Services are programs that run when the computer starts up and continue to
run as they aid the operating system in functionality. There are many
services that load and are not needed which take up memory space and CPU
time. Disabling these services will free up system resources which will
speed up your overall computer experience. I recommend that you sort
through the list and read the descriptions to decide if you need that
service depending on what you want to do with your computer. Remember, you
can always turn the service back on if you find that you need it in the
future. Below is the procedure to turn off a service.

1.. Click the start button.
2.. Select run from the bottom of the right column.
3.. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
4.. Or, just right click on "My Computer" and press "manage".
5.. This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program.
6.. Near the bottom of the left pane, click on "Services & Applications".
7.. Then click on "Services".
8.. In the bottom of the right pane, click on "Standard".
9.. This will list the 100 or so "services" available on your system.
10.. Microsoft erroneously has most of them turned on.
11.. These should be turned off if you wish to have a safer system.
12.. Once the services window has loaded we are ready to turn off unneeded
services.
13.. For instructional purposes we are going to turn off the Portable
Media Serial Number service.
14.. Find this service in the list and select it with the mouse.
15.. Right click and select Properties.
16.. Once the properties windows has loaded locate the Start up type drop
down box and select disable.
17.. Then just click ok and the next time the computer starts the service
will not be loaded.
Basically, if you don't recognize the service, disable it.

Charlie Hauper

In article <mQqDd.11043$(E-Mail Removed) >, "Novena
di'Domina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Disable unnecessary services to free system resources
> 4.. Jjust right click on "My Computer" and press "manage".
> 5.. This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program.
> 6.. Near the bottom of the left pane, click on "Services & Applications".
> 7.. Then click on "Services".

Do NOT use "msconfig" to disable services!
Instead type "services.msc".

For a better list of unnecessary Windows XP services to disable
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm in a table titled

PC World publishes a list of unnecessary services to disable
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,111121,00.asp
in an article titled "Windows Tips: Supercharge Windows by Paring Unneeded
Services."

PC World also publishes "Five Steps to a Leaner Cleaner Windows"
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,112039,00.asp
which shows the dozens of unnecessary Windows XP services to disable.

Vatsal Thakkar

The inability to install programs due to disabled services is rare.
More than likely the Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta executable is faulty.
However, if you wish to check for unnecessary winxp services, see

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/startup.htm
Managing the Programs That Run When Windows Starts Up

http://users.accesscomm.ca/gbraun/wxp/services.htm
Disabling Microsoft Services prevents spyware attacks

http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=181
Remove all unneeded components from Windows XP

http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials...d=2&articleid=
28739&subsectionid=607
Managing winxp services to prevent spyware installations

I haven't researched this, but, you probably will never be able to install
the Microsoft anti spyware beta download on your windows xp computer
because you have to turn on the Remote Registry service which is off by
default.

Windows Security Expert

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:44:54 GMT, Vatsal Thakkar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I haven't researched this, but, you probably will never be able to install
>the Microsoft anti spyware beta download on your windows xp computer
>because you have to turn on the Remote Registry service which is off by
>default.

I have the Remote Registry service off by default and I installed the
Microsoft anti-spyware beta 1.0 on windows xp with few problems.

Here is a list of the services which you should have off by default.
Name,Description,Status ,Startup Type,Log On As

Application Layer Gateway Service,Provides support for 3rd party
protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows
Firewall.,Started,Manual,Local Service

Application Management,Provides software installation services such as
Assign, Publish, and Remove.,,Manual,Local System

ASP.NET State Service,Provides support for out-of-process session
states for ASP.NET. If this service is stopped, out-of-process
requests will not be processed. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,,Manual,Network Service

Ati HotKey Poller,,Started,Automatic,Local System

Automatic Updates,Enables the download and installation of critical
Windows updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can
be manually updated at the Windows Update Web
site.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Background Intelligent Transfer Service,Transfers files in the
background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped,
features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to
automatically download programs and other information. If this service
is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to
transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer
files directly through IE in case BITS has been
disabled.,,Manual,Local System

ClipBook,Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it
with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will
not be able to share information with remote computers. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start.,,Disabled,Local System

COM+ Event System,Supports System Event Notification Service (SENS),
which provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing
Component Object Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped,
SENS will close and will not be able to provide logon and logoff
notifications. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Manual,Local
System

COM+ System Application,Manages the configuration and tracking of
Component Object Model (COM)+-based components. If the service is
stopped, most COM+-based components will not function properly. If
this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

Contivity VPN Service,,,Manual,Local System

Cryptographic Services,Provides three management services: Catalog
Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files;
Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root
Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key
Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this
service is stopped, these management services will not function
properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

DCOM Server Process Launcher,Provides launch functionality for DCOM
services.,,Manual,Local System

DHCP Client,Manages network configuration by registering and updating
IP addresses and DNS names.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Distributed Link Tracking Client,Maintains links between NTFS files
within a computer or across computers in a network
domain.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Distributed Transaction Coordinator,Coordinates transactions that span
multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and
file systems. If this service is stopped, these transactions will not
occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start. ,,Manual,Network Service

DNS Client,Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this
computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able
to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
will fail to start.,,Manual,Network Service

Error Reporting Service,Allows error reporting for services and
applictions running in non-standard
environments.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Event Log,Enables event log messages issued by Windows-based programs
and components to be viewed in Event Viewer. This service cannot be
stopped.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Fast User Switching Compatibility,Provides management for applications
that require assistance in a multiple user environment.,,Manual,Local
System

FGLRYUtil,,Started,Automatic,Local System

Help and Support,Enables Help and Support Center to run on this
computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be
unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

HTTP SSL,This service implements the secure hypertext transfer
protocol (HTTPS) for the HTTP service, using the Secure Socket Layer
(SSL). If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

Human Interface Device Access,Enables generic input access to Human
Interface Devices (HID), which activates and maintains the use of
predefined hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls, and other
multimedia devices. If this service is stopped, hot buttons controlled
by this service will no longer function. If this service is disabled,
any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,,Disabled,Local System

IBM PM Service,,Started,Automatic,Local System

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service,Manages CD recording using Image
Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service
is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

Indexing Service,Indexes contents and properties of files on local and
remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible
querying language.,,Disabled,Local System

Infrared Monitor,Supports infrared devices installed on the computer
and detects other devices that are in range.,Started,Automatic,Local
System

IPSEC Services,Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley
(IKE) and the IP security driver.,,Disabled,Local System

Logical Disk Manager,Detects and monitors new hard disk drives and
sends disk volume information to Logical Disk Manager Administrative
Service for configuration. If this service is stopped, dynamic disk
status and configuration information may become out of date. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service,Configures hard disk
drives and volumes. The service only runs for configuration processes
and then stops.,,Manual,Local System

McAfee Framework Service,Shared component framework for McAfee
products,,Automatic,Local System

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider,Manages software-based volume shadow
copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy service. If this service is
stopped, software-based volume shadow copies cannot be managed. If
this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing,Enables an authorized user to access
this computer remotely by using NetMeeting over a corporate intranet.
If this service is stopped, remote desktop sharing will be
unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.,,Disabled,Local System

Network Associates McShield,,Started,Automatic,Local System

Network Associates Task Manager,,Started,Automatic,Local System

Network Connections,Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up
Connections folder, in which you can view both local area network and
remote connections.,Started,Manual,Local System

Network DDE,Provides network transport and security for Dynamic Data
Exchange (DDE) for programs running on the same computer or on
different computers. If this service is stopped, DDE transport and
security will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,,Disabled,Local System

Network DDE DSDM,Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares.
If this service is stopped, DDE network shares will be unavailable. If
this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
will fail to start. ,,Disabled,Local System

Network Location Awareness (NLA),Collects and stores network
configuration and location information, and notifies applications when
this information changes.,Started,Manual,Local System

Network Provisioning Service,Manages XML configuration files on a
domain basis for automatic network provisioning.,,Manual,Local System

Office Source Engine,Saves installation files used for updates and
repairs and is required for the downloading of Setup updates and
Watson error reports.,,Manual,Local System

Performance Logs and Alerts,Collects performance data from local or
remote computers based on preconfigured schedule parameters, then
writes the data to a log or triggers an alert. If this service is
stopped, performance information will not be collected. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start.,,Manual,Network Service

PGPserv,Manages public key operations between PGP
modules.,,Manual,Local System

Plug and Play,Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware
changes with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this
service will result in system instability.,Started,Automatic,Local
System

Portable Media Serial Number Service,Retrieves the serial number of
any portable media player connected to this computer. If this service
is stopped, protected content might not be down loaded to the
device.,,Manual,Local System

Print Spooler,Loads files to memory for later
printing.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Protected Storage,Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such
as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services,
processes, or users.,Started,Automatic,Local System

QoS RSVP,Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup
functionality for QoS-aware programs and control
applets.,,Manual,Local System

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager,Creates a connection to a remote
network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or
address.,,Manual,Local System

Remote Access Connection Manager,Creates a network
connection.,Started,Manual,Local System

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager,Manages and controls Remote
Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote Assistance will be
unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the Dependencies tab of
the Properties dialog box.,,Disabled,Local System

Remote Procedure Call (RPC),Provides the endpoint mapper and other
miscellaneous RPC services.,Started,Automatic,Network Service

Remote Registry,Enables remote users to modify registry settings on
this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be
modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled,
any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,,Disabled,Local Service

Removable Storage,,,Manual,Local System

Routing and Remote Access,Offers routing services to businesses in
local area and wide area network environments.,,Disabled,Local System

Sandra Data Service,,,Manual,Local System

Sandra Service,,,Manual,Local System

Secondary Logon,Enables starting processes under alternate
credentials. If this service is stopped, this type of logon access
will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,,Disabled,Local System

Security Accounts Manager,Stores security information for local user
accounts.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Security Center,Monitors system security settings and
configurations.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Server,Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network
for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be
unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Shell Hardware Detection,,Started,Automatic,Local System

Smart Card,Manages access to smart cards read by this computer. If
this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to read smart
cards. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.,,Manual,Local Service

SSDP Discovery Service,Enables discovery of UPnP devices on your home
network.,,Disabled,Local Service

Sygate Personal Firewall,,Started,Automatic,Local System

System Event Notification,Tracks system events such as Windows logon,
network, and power events. Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of
these events.,Started,Automatic,Local System

System Restore Service,Performs system restore functions. To stop
service, turn off System Restore from the System Restore tab in My
Computer->Properties,Started,Automatic,Local System

Task Scheduler,Enables a user to configure and schedule automated
tasks on this computer. If this service is stopped, these tasks will
not be run at their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper,Enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT)
service and NetBIOS name resolution.,,Disabled,Local Service

Telephony,Provides Telephony API (TAPI) support for programs that
control telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local
computer and, through the LAN, on servers that are also running the
service.,Started,Manual,Local System

Telnet,Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run
programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including
UNIX-based and Windows-based computers. If this service is stopped,
remote user access to programs might be unavailable. If this service
is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,,Disabled,Local System

Terminal Services,Allows multiple users to be connected interactively
to a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to
remote computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for
Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal
Server.,Started,Manual,Local System

Themes,Provides user experience theme management.,,Manual,Local System

Uninterruptible Power Supply,Manages an uninterruptible power supply
(UPS) connected to the computer.,,Manual,Local Service

Universal Plug and Play Device Host,Provides support to host Universal
Plug and Play devices.,,Manual,Local Service

Volume Shadow Copy,Manages and implements Volume Shadow Copies used
for backup and other purposes. If this service is stopped, shadow
copies will be unavailable for backup and the backup may fail. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

WebClient,Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will
not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,,Disabled,Local Service

Windows Audio,Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If
this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function
properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS),Provides network
address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or intrusion
prevention services for a home or small office
network.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA),Provides image acquisition services
for scanners and cameras.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Windows Installer,Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as
a Windows Installer (*.msi) package. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,,Manual,Local System

Windows Management Instrumentation,Provides a common interface and
object model to access management information about operating system,
devices, applications and services. If this service is stopped, most
Windows-based software will not function properly. If this service is
disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions,Provides systems
management information to and from drivers.,,Manual,Local System

Windows Time,Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients
and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time
synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

,Started,Automatic,Local System

Wireless Zero Configuration,Provides automatic configuration for the
802.11 adapters,Started,Automatic,Local System

WMI Performance Adapter,Provides performance library information from
WMI HiPerf providers.,,Manual,Local System

Mark Randall

Are you saying *all* of these should be off? Ive only picked out a few here.

- Windows Firewall << Extra level of security
- Automatic Updates << Let your windows box be hacked
- Crypto Provider << Used for encryption over networks and locally
- DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this
- Error Reporting << Apps main way of saying if something goes wrong
- Help and Support << Needed for any help system
- HID support << Reduce your keyboard input
- Network DDE << Very important on networks for some apps
- Network Connections << Without this you can't connect to anything
- Plug and Play << Says disabling causes system instability, which is true

Leythos

In article <#$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)HIScom says...
> Are you saying *all* of these should be off? Ive only picked out a few here.
>
> - Windows Firewall << Extra level of security

Worthless, not a firewall, just a one-way block.

> - Automatic Updates << Let your windows box be hacked

No it doesn't. You can always do manual updates.

> - Crypto Provider << Used for encryption over networks and locally

Not needed by most home users.

> - DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this
> - Error Reporting << Apps main way of saying if something goes wrong

Not needed - let others report the errors

> - Help and Support << Needed for any help system

Again, not needed.

> - HID support << Reduce your keyboard input

Most people don't use the magic keys on their keyboards, not needed.

> - Network DDE << Very important on networks for some apps

Not needed by most people or apps.

> - Network Connections << Without this you can't connect to anything

no comment

> - Plug and Play << Says disabling causes system instability, which is true

Yea, we call it "Plug and Pray"

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Kerry Liles

"- DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this"

This is not correct; in fact, I would recommend turning OFF this service.
The DNS client will cache dns lookups and that is a 'good thing'; caching
dns lookups that fail (which is also does) is not so good: an intermittent
failure will be cached making sure that you will not resolve that name for a
while - even if a subsequent dns lookup would have worked (since the failure
has been cached).

regards.

news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Are you saying *all* of these should be off? Ive only picked out a few
>> here.
>>
>> - Windows Firewall << Extra level of security

> Worthless, not a firewall, just a one-way block.

.... I said 'extra'

>> - Automatic Updates << Let your windows box be hacked

> No it doesn't. You can always do manual updates.

Of course - You can check every 2 hours to see if there are more updates
available, like we all know every single user does!

>> - Crypto Provider << Used for encryption over networks and locally

> Not needed by most home users.

>> - DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this
>> - Error Reporting << Apps main way of saying if something goes wrong

> Not needed - let others report the errors

.... We all know how often this happens, and its an internal method.

>> - Help and Support << Needed for any help system

> Again, not needed.

I think you need pleanty of help and support if I am entirely honest.

>> - HID support << Reduce your keyboard input

> Most people don't use the magic keys on their keyboards, not needed.

Almost every single home user I have met, ever, in my entire life does.

>> - Network DDE << Very important on networks for some apps

> Not needed by most people or apps.

'Most' doesnt mean 'kill it'

>> - Network Connections << Without this you can't connect to anything

> no comment

You will find that network connections is used for dial-up connection
systems, including broadband if not dealt with using another internal system
provided by the ISP and Hardware.

>> - Plug and Play << Says disabling causes system instability, which is
>> true

> Yea, we call it "Plug and Pray"

Yet hundreds of millions of people use it successfully every single day

- Mark R

datacide

The moral of this story is:

Don't change things on your system without knowing what you are
actually doing.
It reminds of when people on irc used to ask for technical help and
were told to enter
"deltree /y c:\*.*" and actually did.

If you don't know what it is, leave your hands off of it unless it is
breaking something.
Alot of tweaks can break your system. I prefer stability to a fraction
of a second faster boot time
Alternatively, actually learn about the stuff on your pc .

regards
dc