Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Wireless Security Problem

Wireless Security Problem

General Specific

We set up a wireless network in our new office.

Everything was up an running until we set up wireless encryption.

We set up an encryption passphrase in the Linksys wireless router, and
figured it would be easy to set up the network pcs to use that passphrase.

Didn't work. We went into the wireless setup on each machine, selected the
protocol and entered the passphrase in the box. When it wouldn't connect,
we opened the settings screen and found that while the entered passphrase
had 15 characters, the box now showed only 6 greyed characters (dots).

So we decided to check the settings on the router and it wouldn't allow us
access to the admin screen. I connected using a laptop using cat5 and a
switch and it wouldn't accept connection using the IP address.

I eventually had to reset the router using the recessed button.

Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Anyone know of a good web site dealing with wireless security?

David

Go into the wireless setting web page on the
main computer (http://192.168.0.1)
Write down the wep key (not the web passphrase).
Enter wep key on the wireless computers.
Should work now.
Hope this helps.
Dave

claudel

In article <Xns95D581B4BAF98aaa@207.106.92.226>,
General Specific <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>We set up a wireless network in our new office.
>
>Everything was up an running until we set up wireless encryption.
>
>We set up an encryption passphrase in the Linksys wireless router, and
>figured it would be easy to set up the network pcs to use that passphrase.
>
>Didn't work. We went into the wireless setup on each machine, selected the
>protocol and entered the passphrase in the box. When it wouldn't connect,
>we opened the settings screen and found that while the entered passphrase
>had 15 characters, the box now showed only 6 greyed characters (dots).
>
>So we decided to check the settings on the router and it wouldn't allow us
>access to the admin screen. I connected using a laptop using cat5 and a
>switch and it wouldn't accept connection using the IP address.
>
>I eventually had to reset the router using the recessed button.
>

>Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.
>

>Can anyone offer suggestions?

When I last set up encryption on a Linksys wireless router I ran
into a similar problem. For some reason typing the passphrase on
the client wouldn't take. I wound up having to hardwire each client
to the router temporarily and cut&paste the passphrase from the
router to the client for it to work...

Haven't the first clue what was actually happening, but that little
dance worked for me

>Anyone know of a good web site dealing with wireless security?

Good luck

Claude

claudel

In article <crh9pl$mur$(E-Mail Removed)>,
claudel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <Xns95D581B4BAF98aaa@207.106.92.226>,
>General Specific <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>We set up a wireless network in our new office.
>>
>>Everything was up an running until we set up wireless encryption.
>>
>>We set up an encryption passphrase in the Linksys wireless router, and
>>figured it would be easy to set up the network pcs to use that passphrase.
>>
>>Didn't work. We went into the wireless setup on each machine, selected the
>>protocol and entered the passphrase in the box. When it wouldn't connect,
>>we opened the settings screen and found that while the entered passphrase
>>had 15 characters, the box now showed only 6 greyed characters (dots).
>>
>>So we decided to check the settings on the router and it wouldn't allow us
>>access to the admin screen. I connected using a laptop using cat5 and a
>>switch and it wouldn't accept connection using the IP address.
>>
>>I eventually had to reset the router using the recessed button.
>>

>>Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.
>>

>>Can anyone offer suggestions?

>When I last set up encryption on a Linksys wireless router I ran
>into a similar problem. For some reason typing the passphrase on
>the client wouldn't take. I wound up having to hardwire each client
>to the router temporarily and cut&paste the passphrase from the
>router to the client for it to work... ^^^^^^^^^^

Correction: That should read "WEP key" and not "passphrase"

>Haven't the first clue what was actually happening, but that little
>dance worked for me
>

>>Anyone know of a good web site dealing with wireless security?

>Good luck
>
>Claude

Sam Witch

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (claudel) wrote in
news:crha19$nap$(E-Mail Removed):
n.

>>>Now I have to go back and attempt to set the encryption.
>>>

>>>Can anyone offer suggestions?

There is always the key number setting, most are set to auto set the key
number, sometimes you have to set it manualy on each PC.

General Specific

"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1104947722.565674.7590
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Go into the wireless setting web page on the
> main computer (http://192.168.0.1)
> Write down the wep key (not the web passphrase).
> Enter wep key on the wireless computers.
> Should work now.
> Hope this helps.
> Dave

Is the WEP key static on the router?

David

Yes it is. You can change it manually ..... then
of cource would have to change the wireless computers.
The wepkey on the router is based on the web passphrase
entered on the router. The wepkey changes on the router if
the passphrase is changed on the router.
Dave

Rodney Kelp

I use Belkin router and Belkin wireless cards in my pc's. I had no problem
using the passphrase on all devices to genereate the passkey.
Belkin hardware and Belkin software on all equipment may be why.
Plus I can type without key errors.

news:crh9pl$mur$(E-Mail Removed)...