Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Which Product

Which Product

Greetings

I would like to ask this group what would be the best non-US commercial
encryption product to buy for E-mail, file/folder, and HD security.

There are so many products out there promising security that it really
becomes a matter of consumer overload.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Thanks

Nicholas B.

--
Email Powered By www.IDWS.com

nemo outis

In article <cr98s0$m5i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Greetings
>
>I would like to ask this group what would be the best non-US commercial
>encryption product to buy for E-mail, file/folder, and HD security.
>
>There are so many products out there promising security that it really
>becomes a matter of consumer overload.
>
>Any pointers would be appreciated
>
>Thanks
>
>Nicholas B.

I'll assume you're talking about Windows and more specifically
2k, 2k3, or XP.

Communications privacy and storage privacy are different things
requiring different products (although some software providers
have products for each purpose). Communications encryption
requires some degree of savvy by your recipients as well!

For storage there are several approaches:

1. File by file (sometimes including whole folders) but
*not* OTFE (on the fly encryption). Examples are Windows EFS and
Winrar (not to be sneezed at since it has so many other uses - be
sure to use rar format which has strong encryption rather than
zip). Many weaknesses primarily associated with deleted images
and other "leakage."

2. Container-file or whole partition encryption, usually
OTFE using strong algorithms (e.g., AES). Many manufacturers
have good products (Bestcrypt, Drivecrypt, etc.) but only one is
both open-source and free and its features and stability rank
with the best: Truecrypt (truecrypt.sourceforge.net or
www.truecrypt.tk)

3. Full HD OTFE encryption - everything encrypted including
the OS etc. - no chance of leakage but backups are essential for
recovery in case anything goes wrong (usually right at the
beginning due to operator error or unfamiliarity with the
program!). Once installed, full HD programs are usually very
stable and using them is a breeze. Unfortunately, no open-source
(but one free: Compusec). Several manufacturers provide good
products: DCPP, Safeboot Solo (now unavailable), Pointsec,
Utimaco Safeguard, Winmagic, Compusec, etc.

As for communication encryption, it is usually not just a matter
of encryption but also of messing with traffic hiding & anonymity
(mixmaster, JBN or quicksilver, etc.) . However, if just
encryption is all you want then several programs (including
those from untrustworthy MS) have it natively. Or, for
light-duty use, don't sneer at using winrar and encrypted
attachments. But, if you want more, then PGP is the gold
standard for encrypted communications (BTW they are promising a
full HD encryption product "real soon now"). Get used to
educating your recipients on managing keys, etc.
(Seriously, encrypted communications, despite their importance,
have never taken off - except for geeks - due to the complexity.)

Regards,

nemo outis

In article <AvWBd.665068$Pl.650336@pd7tw1no>, nemo http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (nemo outis) wrote:

I'll condense: start with Truecrypt (expand from there if you
need more and as your knowledge grows).

Regards,

..