Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > PC Disaster - all program filles disappeared, HD free size gone from 3Gb to 17Gb - Help urgently sought

PC Disaster - all program filles disappeared, HD free size gone from 3Gb to 17Gb - Help urgently sought

awhiteford

I ran disc cleanup yesterday as I do every couple of months. Wanting some
extra space I chose the option to delete backup files from the previous
operating system. I was running the clean up and doing some other work on
newsgroups when I got a Windows File Protection Message "Files that are
required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised
versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original
versions of these files." It says a network drive E is not available to
copy the files from and says to inset my install disc.

The available space on my hard drive has gone from appox 3Gb to 16.7Gb. I
now have 1.86Gb of used space. All of the previous directories are still
listed but if I mouse over them or go to the directories 99% of them are
empty. I can't access Internet Explorer - just get "this page is not
available" error. A few directories or sub-directories still have files but
they're few and far between eg. my Microsoft Games directory has 3 games -
RON, Age of Empires Conquerors and AoM. The AoE has some files in the
campaign sub-directory only left. I also have the Sims and the EReg folder
in that has a number of files still listed while all of the other folders
are empty, contain 0 bytes.

However, I have been able to send this message to the news groups and I can
access messages on all the newsgroups I'm subscribed to. I assume this is
to do with the fact that I was working in the newsgroups while everything
else was being stripped off. This happened on my main PC. I have a
networked PC which is working OK including accessing the internet.

What went on? What did I do wrong?

More importantly, can I get my files back or am I stuck with having to
reinstall everything? I did think of that option but using my install disk
doesn't work - it won't accept my product ID number.

Advice urgently sought.

Thanks

Anne

Will S

system restore ?

"awhiteford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GnHBd.99119$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I ran disc cleanup yesterday as I do every couple of months. Wanting some
> extra space I chose the option to delete backup files from the previous
> operating system. I was running the clean up and doing some other work on
> newsgroups when I got a Windows File Protection Message "Files that are
> required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised
> versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original
> versions of these files." It says a network drive E is not available to
> copy the files from and says to inset my install disc.
>
> The available space on my hard drive has gone from appox 3Gb to 16.7Gb. I
> now have 1.86Gb of used space. All of the previous directories are still
> listed but if I mouse over them or go to the directories 99% of them are
> empty. I can't access Internet Explorer - just get "this page is not
> available" error. A few directories or sub-directories still have files
> but
> they're few and far between eg. my Microsoft Games directory has 3 games -
> RON, Age of Empires Conquerors and AoM. The AoE has some files in the
> campaign sub-directory only left. I also have the Sims and the EReg
> folder
> in that has a number of files still listed while all of the other folders
> are empty, contain 0 bytes.
>
> However, I have been able to send this message to the news groups and I
> can
> access messages on all the newsgroups I'm subscribed to. I assume this is
> to do with the fact that I was working in the newsgroups while everything
> else was being stripped off. This happened on my main PC. I have a
> networked PC which is working OK including accessing the internet.
>
> What went on? What did I do wrong?
>
> More importantly, can I get my files back or am I stuck with having to
> reinstall everything? I did think of that option but using my install
> disk
> doesn't work - it won't accept my product ID number.
>
> Advice urgently sought.
>
> Thanks
>
> Anne

nemo outis

In article <GnHBd.99119$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"awhiteford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
...snip...

No problem - restore your backup.

You don't have a current backup? Well, although that makes you
equivalent with 99% of the folks out there, it also makes you an
improvident moron.

Seriously, despite my abuse, absorb the point: Not making regular
backups is a recipe for disaster.

Regards,

donnie

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:37:58 GMT, "awhiteford"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original
>versions of these files.

I searched that error on google and there is a ton of stuff including
your posts to other forums. Look at some of those sites. Try system
restore if it's XP as someone already suggested. If that doesn't work
try some software recovery programs.
donnie.